Have you ever played back the dash cam when your car was in for service?

Ok, so if I went there and started unplugging their cameras because I didn’t want to be recorded, do you think I would get arrested? Or would they allow it?

Of course not, but that's an entirely different scenario with different context.

The dealership belongs to them, which means they can choose what recording devices are allowed and that includes your dashcam. If they don't want your dashcam to record, they have the right to disconnect it while on the premises, IMO.

Some here made the argument that the dealership should inform customers of said policy at time of drop off, and I think that's fair and reasonable feedback.

Of course not, but that's an entirely different scenario with different context.

The dealership belongs to them, which means they can choose what recording devices are allowed and that includes your dashcam. If they don't want your dashcam to record, they have the right to disconnect it while on the premises, IMO.

Some here made the argument that the dealership should inform customers of said policy at time of drop off, and I think that's fair and reasonable feedback.

I think the shop needs to disclose this policy, not just disconnect the camera.

No they cannot. One right doesn’t invalidate the other. Which is exactly what your suggestion is OK to do.

They have the right to refuse service, not modify private property because they don’t like certain aspects of it.

If they don't want your dashcam to record, they have the right to disconnect it while on the premises, IMO.

Ok, let presume that while on their property they can disconnect the dashcam and anything else they feel like it. What about when they go for a test drive onto the public roads? Do they have to plug everything back as it was? There is no private property to protect their privacy anymore.

I would understand but be annoyed if they unplugged my dashcam. It's there in case I become a liability in a vehicle accident. Besides, the hood is almost always up anyways so it's not like I'm going to watch an hour long video of my hood :ROFLMAO: while they change my oil or something.

Everybody against it says it's for the shop's privacy reasons, which is totally understandable and reasonable. Until you find out the shop took your car for a 17 mile "test drive" with 1/4 tank of gas gone or comes back with damage.

I can't imagine anyone having a dash cam and NOT playing back the video once they got their car back.

I like to subscribe to the idea of 'don't give me a reason and I won't.'

Ok, so if I went there and started unplugging their cameras because I didn’t want to be recorded, do you think I would get arrested? Or would they allow it?

"Next time on 60 minutes...." I miss the shows where they'll go into a shady business with hidden cameras.
1702401039747.png

Last edited:
No they cannot. One right doesn’t invalidate the other. Which is exactly what your suggestion is OK to do.

Yes, they can. And they do.

The only recourse someone has is to call up and demand to speak with a manager. :)

Last edited:
I used to always just unplug them but as I got older I really enjoyed working on cars with dash cams. I’d talk about the grey aliens and reptilians that had infiltrated the government or how the moon landing was fake or the moon itself was fake.

For safety and emissions thats ridiculously cheap. I charge 95 out the door for safety and emissions and I am not making money at that, after taxes and fees come out I make 77 dollars which is 0.65 hours at my shop rate and it takes an hour to do safety and emissions correctly.
If you are in PA, can a car pass emissions with no MIL, and one category (evap) not ready? My wife’s takes 700+ miles to get into ready….(GM)

How'd you like it if I showed up at your office and filmed everything you did?

(They should plug it back in before you leave, though.)
Mine is not, but many are hard wired. Have to be with super capacitor and parking protection. What then? I’d do what the techs in my car did, go about their business. They’re not doing anything wrong.

A private business has a right in not allowing a cam to video record while they are servicing a vehicle. Good business practice is to notify the owner prior to working on it. Written notice is best. If you live in a two-party consent state such as PA, it’s a felony to ”audio“ record someone without their consent with very few exceptions. Warrant etc. It all comes down to expectation of privacy of the one being recorded. Example #1 - Two techs on a test drive having their “conversations“ recorded about a recent crime they committed and being audio recorded without their knowledge. Courts would very likely consider this to be an infringement. Example #2 - Those same techs are inside your vehicle stopped at a traffic light at a busy intersection with the windows down. A loud argument ensues between them regarding a recent crime they committed that can be heard by bystanders. The audio recording of the dash cam at a later trial regarding said crime would have a much better chance of being admitted into evidence since their expectation of privacy was diminished, if not negated.

Once again, this is regarding states that are two-party consent.

A private business has a right in not allowing a cam to video record while they are servicing a vehicle.

I have not seen anybody argue they don’t have that right. But what gives them legal authority to disable a recording device in a vehicle they do not own without concent of the owner?

Many here seem to argue they have that legal authority. Like I said before, one right doesn’t give authority to violate another.

Is there a case where it was ruled as legal?

I have not seen anybody argue they don’t have that right. But what gives them legal authority to disable a recording device in a vehicle they do not own without concent of the owner?

Many here seem to argue they have that legal authority. Like I said before, one right doesn’t give authority to violate another.

Is there a case where it was ruled as legal?
Show me the law that is broken by them disconnecting, not damaging, just disconnecting the cam. I agree with the prior poster who said your redress is filing a complaint with management.

Show me the law that is broken by them disconnecting, not damaging, just disconnecting the cam. I agree with the prior poster who said your redress is filing a complaint with management.
Probably the same law that prevents them from disconnecting other systems in your car as they please. I mean they could start disconnecting airbags for safety reasons as they could go off while they work on the vehicle. What about the horn? These things could startle the mechanics causing bodily harm. The difference is that disconnecting a dashcam won't cause any harm or damage, so you can't pursue that in court.

Tell me this. Say you came to my home and parked in the driveway. Could I go into your car and disconnect your dashcam, if you had one without your consent? I mean it is my property and I have every right to protect my privacy, don't I?

Last edited:
Tell me this. Say you came to my home and parked in the driveway. Could I go into your car and disconnect your dashcam, if you had one without your consent? I mean it is my property and I have every right to protect my privacy, don't I?

This is where possession and permission to operate the vehicle matters. The dealership has both of these elements when you drop it off for service.

So let's finish this story to make it an apples-to-apples comparison, or at least a little closer to that.

You would need to drop the vehicle off in my driveway, hand me over the keys, and provide me with permission to operate the vehicle. In this scenario, I could absolutely turn off your dashcam if I chose to while the vehicle was under my control.

They can also adjust your seats, turn off the radio (maybe change the station, etc.)

I understand you don't like the idea of the camera being turned off, but that doesn't mean they can't do it.

Last edited:
If for some reason you have to use the camera footage against the dealer for damaging your car, or some other reason, the dealer's attorneys can give you a hard time if they wanted to and it might not even be presentable in court, if you take it that far.

Let's say the footage is uploaded to YouTube, this could be a form of defamation / invasion of privacy.

In court this evidence can be thrown out and you could be counter sued for said invasion of privacy and maybe other legal reasons I am not aware of.

It all boils down to how the dealer handles public relations. Realistically, I think if you leave the dashcam on, or even connected to a large USB backup battery in the glove box, just for your peace of mind, then you will probably be fine. I don't think the footage will help much beyond that. If you do present the footage or even mention you have it to the service advisor as proof of malfeasance, then the dealer can pursue legal action if they want, but this would be extreme. I think you'd have to harm their reputation to get to this point though.

If I owned a repair shop I would certainly have the employees check every vehicle, front and back for cameras, and disconnect them. For "legal and insurance" reasons if anyone asks, I think the dealer has every right to do this or even deny service.

Service contracts should be updated with disclaimers about recording technologies, maybe they already are.

Back