Have you ever played back the dash cam when your car was in for service?

I did for the first time. PA safety and emissions test.

I felt awkward there were two techs and they went for a ride in my car before the PA state inspection--this is normal. They were cursing and talking about women and laughing. I decided to download all the videos but not watch them. If they had driven 100 mph or something crazy sure, that's different, but since this wasn't the case, I don't have a need to watch them. Also, based on the time stamp, it sat about 2 1/4 hours before they told me it's ready....that doggone $29.95 coupon is now $45 out the door. PA is nuts. Even the BMW dealer charges me around $40.

I did for the first time. PA safety and emissions test.

I felt awkward there were two techs and they went for a ride in my car before the PA state inspection--this is normal. They were cursing and talking about women and laughing. I decided to download all the videos but not watch them. If they had driven 100 mph or something crazy sure, that's different, but since this wasn't the case, I don't have a need to watch them. Also, based on the time stamp, it sat about 2 1/4 hours before they told me it's ready....that doggone $29.95 coupon is now $45 out the door. PA is nuts. Even the BMW dealer charges me around $40.
For safety and emissions thats ridiculously cheap. I charge 95 out the door for safety and emissions and I am not making money at that, after taxes and fees come out I make 77 dollars which is 0.65 hours at my shop rate and it takes an hour to do safety and emissions correctly.

I took mine in for a couple of things to look at. The dash cam is on anytime the ignition was on. One item I wanted replaced was the AC/Heater controls as the led indicators were out. It was done under an aftermarket warranty and the aftermarket rep was trying to talk the service manager out of replacing it. The SM said well you can't tell what mode it's in with the leds out. So they did replace it.

How'd you like it if I showed up at your office and filmed everything you did?

(They should plug it back in before you leave, though.)

Except your own employer already does this via software that monitors your computer. And if your employer wished, they can install cameras all around the office and film the employees all they want. It’s their property and they can monitor it as they want.

Same applies to a vehicle. It’s a private property and whatever equipment is installed there, should not be touched, unless it’s need to perform the service.

If I have a camera inside my car, it’s there for a reason and nobody should be messing with it.

If the techs don’t want to be recorded, they can say they cannot perform the service with a recording device active. Then the owner can decide if they want to go elsewhere or turn off the camera themselves.

It’s quite amazing that nobody questions private businesses, corporations or the government for recording, but when a normal person does it, all of the sudden the same rules don’t apply and it is seen as a problem.

Last edited:
No dash cam experience here but when I used to take my A6 to the Audi dealer for oil service. They would, the next day, email me another coupon and a three camera angle video of my my car getting serviced in the bay. I took it as a needless sales gimmick but it showed they took extra precautions with padding to protect the paint from belt buckle scratches and they wiped down the engine bay after the service. No video from the road test Gunther did. I’m sure he had fun with it…

The cost was very reasonable at $99 (coupon) and that included a plug in to the engine monitor with report, break and wheel alignment check and a hand done car wash and vacuum. It was such a deal I never missed taking it in to the dealer which was probably their intent.

I've heard that shops will unplug dashcams to keep potential thieves from casing the joint and getting an inventory. No idea how accurate that is. I've never bothered with the hassle of a dashcam in my car because they are prohibited where I work.

Except your own employer already does this via software that monitors your computer. And if your employer wished, they can install cameras all around the office and film the employees all they want. It’s their property and they can monitor it as they want.

Same applies to a vehicle. It’s a private property and whatever equipment is installed there, should not be touched, unless it’s need to perform the service.

If I have a camera inside my car, it’s there for a reason and nobody should be messing with it.

If the techs don’t want to be recorded, they can say they cannot perform the service with a recording device active. Then the owner can decide if they want to go elsewhere or turn off the camera themselves.

It’s quite amazing that nobody questions private businesses, corporations or the government for recording, but when a normal person does it, all of the sudden the same rules don’t apply and it is seen as a problem.

Likewise, the dealership has every right to keep you from recording inside of their facility.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

How'd you like it if I showed up at your office and filmed everything you did?

(They should plug it back in before you leave, though.)
If you're doing a job you have a right to say no.
With that said, a dealership is private property and they can prevent anything they choose. With that said many cars have cameras now, you could make it hard to disconnect or hide it.
Tesla cameras record on motion I believe, even when you are not in it.

I don't feel that unplugging a camera is vandalism. Of course they can not damage your property.
They should refuse to work on it before disabling it. Let the owner be aware.

Edit: My dealer freaked out when I just asked if they disconnected the battery. He said we never do that unless we have to. Never mind every electrical repair instruction starts with disconnecting battery.

Last edited:
Back