hauling cargo in trucks with tailgate down?

I´ve always done it in the past, wood, ATV´s where there is not enough room in the bed, so the tailgate drops. Now my mechanic guru is telling me that is a BAD thing, that I should get solid folding metal bars to replace the tailgate cable straps, the cables were NOT meant to be loaded continuously??????

IS THIS TRUE?????

I have had tailgate cables break. In fact GM had a recall many years ago for just that. The issue was due to corrosion I think.
I don't know how much of a load you are putting on those cables, but like anyting else, there are limits to what they will support.
Best policy is to inspect those cables for damage or corrosion, and be aware that they won't support extreme loads.

Some think that removing the tailgate or driving with it down saves fuel. Recently read an article that said that is NOT the case.

I´ve always done it in the past, wood, ATV´s where there is not enough room in the bed, so the tailgate drops. Now my mechanic guru is telling me that is a BAD thing, that I should get solid folding metal bars to replace the tailgate cable straps, the cables were NOT meant to be loaded continuously??????

IS THIS TRUE?????
I mean people have been doing it for years including me. Never thought about it, never had a problem. Does not mean it is correct.
How much weight do you think is actually on the tailgate?

I see these things.

The tailgate will have a weight rating, typically specified in the owners manual. It used to be around 500lbs but I'm not sure about new trucks.

I don't know why tailgate cables would be any more likely to stretch than other cables like suspension bridges, parking brake cables, etc. It's a braided steel cable so sure, they can stretch somewhat but likely not enough to matter.

The ones I've seen break are from a kink when closed and looped, and typically there's visible rust.

Maybe if you drop the gate every time and let it slam down against the cables, they get to a point of reduced strength, but I would have no problem putting 500# on the gate or several times that in the bed.

I think the bigger issue is large or harsh bumps in the road, where the load and gate might float and then slam back down, momentarily placing the cables under heavy stress.

Also I learned the hard way if driving with it open unloaded -- which doesn't improve mileage but I once did it on my private road when quickly loading/unloading things -- make sure you have the spring clips at the body mounts.

Otherwise the tailgate bounces up, the cables come off, and the tailgate comes down to rest on the bumper. If you see a crease at the bottom of a tailgate (common) this is what has happened

Ford went thru a period where the spring clip itself clips onto the cable eye. If the clip gets tweaked, it vanishes.

After having the problem in Post #6 I assembled good cables with good clips and took 'em to the mill, drilling and tapping for SS BHCS. Us backwoods machinists do some weird stuff....
20240112_102047.jpg

The thread took me back to HS where we were learning why something had to be strapped down such as a car on a flatbed. Yes I’m easily amused and this becomes more so the case as I continue to age 🙂

I would think the pickup bed would support most of the weight. Unless you are hauling something REALLY long, which you should not be in the first case.

I would think the pickup bed would support most of the weight. Unless you are hauling something REALLY long, which you should not be in the first case.
In the old days beds were 8 feet long and cabs only had one bench seat. Now we've got 5 foot beds and people hauling 4x8 sheet goods hanging out past the edge of the lowered tailgate.

In the old days beds were 8 feet long and cabs only had one bench seat. Now we've got 5 foot beds and people hauling 4x8 sheet goods hanging out past the edge of the lowered tailgate.
I couldn't find a long bed 3/4 ton in my area. I wanted one. The current 3/4 ton and up GM short bed is 6 feet 9 inches.

Most tailgates survive but some do get beat on and end up bending etc. If it's something that simply extends out of the bed and onto the tailgate then most of the weight is not centered on the gate. I'd never just strap something down to the tailgate alone. That would just go bouncing around & I'd no longer have a tailgate when I arrived. LOL

Last edited:
Back