Hatchback with Decent Performance

Mazda 3 would be my choice but haven’t seriously looked at others.
We have a 2012 skyactive 3 with 95k miles.

The Skyactive engine at the time was the highest compression mass produced engine in the world and still ran on regular gas.
It’s full of pep on acceleration, still surprises me. Car to this day has not needed a repair which is amazing. 11 years now, nothing but oil changes, tires and a battery or two.

It is a second car. Wife now works from home so sits around a lot and why low mileage.
I had a 2012 Mazda3 sedan with a manual. I would probably still have if Bambi hadn’t decided to cross in front of me one morning. It was the most fun to drive car I ever owned.

I'm a bit partial to GTIs. It might be worth looking into if it will actually fit in the GTI.
I measured. My bike will probably fit.
I think I would want some cover or shield to protect the back of the front seats, though.

I think Mazda has a ne w3 hatchback out.

GTI, Golf R, Corolla GR are pretty much it in the "hot hatch" entries at this point AFAIK.

Attachments

• 1701882276592.jpg
    1701882276592.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 11
Mini Cooper which will probably get voted down into oblivion. We cross shopped the Mazda 3 and Mini and ended up with a Mini fwiw.

Since you are open to looking BMW, all the good and bad is the same with MINI.
The mini clubman is pretty big inside, but with near mazda3 cargo space. My buddy has a 2019 Clubman S AWD mtx and it hasn't popped up any huge repair bills yet. Seems like a decent car, with maybe poorer resale and undervalued a bit?

The Civic hatchback would be tempting if they made them on a lower time to get the more highly desirable manual climate controls. That and I would still have to overlook the CVT. Or just get the lowest trim level of the new Chevy Trax which has manual climate control and a normal automatic transmission. Plus your bicycle will more then likely fit into a Trax as well.

I'm shopping for a new or used hatchback with good performance, or, maybe even a small wagon, that I can haul my bike in.
So far, only a VW GTI looks to fit the bill, although, the hatch is a little on the small side for the bike.

I liked the Mazda3, but I found the rear visibility poor. I liked the Impreza RS, but found it a little slow. I found the Honda Civic hatch and Acura Integra hatch decent, but I'm not completely sold on a CVT.
I found a fairly recent VW Golf Alltrack that was okay, but I found the price too high for my liking for a used car with somewhat high mileage.

Any other cars that might fit the bill?
Golf R with DCT is about the hottest hatch, or AMG A45. Sadly we don't get Scirroco here.

I'm shopping for a new or used hatchback with good performance, or, maybe even a small wagon, that I can haul my bike in.
So far, only a VW GTI looks to fit the bill, although, the hatch is a little on the small side for the bike..
I hauled a mountain bike around in the back of a 2000 GTI for many years. With the rear seats folded down and the bike wheels removed, it fit just fine. I miss Little Red. 😢

I hauled a mountain bike around in the back of a 2000 GTI for many years. With the rear seats folded down and the bike wheels removed, it fit just fine. I miss Little Red. 😢
I hauled plenty of bikes, lawnmowers etc. in my VW Quantum. Big enough to sleep in back too. There's really nothing like it anymore.
1000006964.jpg

1000006965.jpg

I remember it being better looking though 😂

Higher up with better visibility in traffic, doesn’t scrape on driveways, won’t get stuck as easily on a rough road, has more legroom, has more cargo space, retains value better, easier to work on.
If you're scraping driveways and driving rough roads, sounds like you need an SUV and not a car...

To whit...

SUV:
Worse handling
Slower
Worse efficiency
No more easy/harder to work on, dunno why you'd opine that?
Higher roll-over risk

Back