Has Group 5 replaced Group 4 for Premium Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given all this evidence that Group III is just as good as Group IV or sometimes even better for things like the ability to hold additives, have Group V oils like ones used by Redline and Motul made the oil trusty PAO less relevant? Even M1 doesn't attempt to put more than 60% or so PAO in their oils it seems (maybe mixing in some Hydrocracked Group III or some Group V Esters)

I don't intend to buy my oil based on any of this. I tend to buy based on price anyways. Just curious what everyone thinks.

First, GroupIII and GroupIV oils (PAO) aren't very solvent so dispersants (succininc esters), GroupV oils, and other chemicals are used to "solve" the additive package.

Remember, there are other GroupV oils such as AN's that are used to improve "miscibility" or solving of the additive package.

So no, GroupV has not replaced anything. A full snthetic base oil package is now a complex mixture of many groups.

Last edited:
The older Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic had AN's (I think) and it wasn't one of the better versions if I remember correctly.

I thought the trisynthetic version was the last great version they produced, before they started their cost cutting use of cheaper basestocks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back