Has Ebay transformed from a primarily auction site to a buy it now site?

I have no desire to bid on something and wait when I can just buy it outright for a price I already find reasonable.

I have not bid much - but buy things there often - just got a propane burner, solar lights, and oil filter cap…

I buy from Amazon when I can however I do buy from Ebay too and it's usually BIN from a top seller. Shipping sometimes is slow on Ebay depending on the seller. I did buy an awesome brand new Lloyd's trunk mat brand new from Ebay recently and it was a BIN. It's seems with the auctions the items bring top price anyway. I have had some poor items delivered from Ebay and it's difficult to return these things and I end up keeping the damaged or part that doesn't fit correctly.

Reactions: GON
It’s been over-run with Chinese scammers so not surprised. Used to be normal people selling extra stuff. Very sad actually.
This is true. I will not buy anything that looks sketchy on there and anything China originating is a no. Anthing that hasn't been around many years, with tens of thousands of reviews, is also a no. eBay is rife with stolen profiles so you have to watch for that no matter where it's from.

However, it is my go-to for buying bicycle parts from Taiwan, which is a hub of global bicycle manufacturing. Many of the things you can find on SRAM, Shimano, Microshift websites, cannot be found at a USA retailer. But you can often order them direct from Taiwan on eBay. It generally takes 2-4 weeks to get to you, but it's an acceptable drawback for things that are otherwise unobtainium.

For example, I run Microsoft bar-ends on several of my bicycles in 8, 9 and 10 speed variants. I ordered them all on eBay from Taiwan.

Reactions: GON
I buy from Amazon when I can however I do buy from Ebay too and it's usually BIN from a top seller. Shipping sometimes is slow on Ebay depending on the seller. I did buy an awesome brand new Lloyd's trunk mat brand new from Ebay recently and it was a BIN. It's seems with the auctions the items bring top price anyway. I have had some poor items delivered from Ebay and it's difficult to return these things and I end up keeping the damaged or part that doesn't fit correctly.
Amazon has some of the same problems as eBay with storefronts getting stolen. There are well chronicled incidents of legit American folks having had gotten their Amazon storefronts stolen by foreign criminal hacking organizations.

Sorry if I missed anyone state the reason I rarely sell via auction anymore. About half of my auctions ended with buyers not paying. I'm not a big seller so it was infuriating to have to deal with that the few times I used auction listings. If I have something I think is rare and would attract a specific type of buyer, maybe, but the non-paying buyer issue has become pretty pervasive.

I don’t mind eBay for things that hard to find elsewhere. I recently got an “unavailable” Honda part for $80 less than dealer shipped all the way across country.

It transformed maybe 10 years ago.
One thing I notice on there are some manufacturers who flood it with refurbished units marked down 20-25% from new. I suspect they’re new but they can’t sell as new because of agreements they have with retailers.
If you’re the type of person who DIY’s repairs rather than make warranty claims it works.

Back