Has anything ever affected your ability to repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a teacher once who said “ take your time, we’re in a h#ll of a hurry”.
I’m guilty of rushing things and having to do them twice also, but for the most part I’ve learned slow and steady wins the race. Have observed this with many successful people I have encountered..
It’s more important to do it right than to get it done...
That’s a lot of cliches but they work for me.....

Quote:
Has anything ever changed your thinking or ability to fix things for the worse?

Yes.

Old age....
eek.gif
21.gif

I THINK my "ability to fix things for the worse" is undiminished by the passage of the years. Its just that as I get older my scope for really screwing things up further is limited by the awful mistakes I made when I was younger.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I had a broken right forearm once. That put a damper on my wrenching abilities for a little while.

Ditto, only left wrist/forearm in 5-7 pieces(depending on how you count apparently).

Got a handy titanium plate in there now.. its a weather antenna.
I also have a titanium plate with 12 screws holding my right wrist together. Ironically my Son in law does too. After 5 years I don't even know it's there. Now the screws in my knee are a different story.

Some days I get pretty bad migraines and have to put things off until another day. I had a collapsed lung in college and couldn't lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for a few months.

The plastic shields that cover everything on cars are also quite annoying. Helped my friend change a head light bulb on his 2008 Civic the other day and boy was that not fun. Rust is also something that hinders progress.

Bad quality parts is a huge pet peeve of mine. I rarely shop at Autozone or Advance unless I need to. Almost every single thing they sell is junk, except maybe oil. I've bought parts that were bad right out of the box, belts that were too short, parts that had improperly drilled holes, thermostat housings that were cracked, etc. There is nothing like having to replace something, and finding out you need to do it twice because of some POS part from Autozone.

Tore my bicep muscle off the bone. Could still write but did not own a vehicle with an automatic. Couldn't drive either car much less twist off an oil filter! Summer time too. Wah wah

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Taking too many steps (literal walking steps) to complete a task.

Holy cow, that's some serious micro-managing.

Here's another one: my wife worked at a place where the most common online review was "All the employees look miserable", so the company told all employees they had to smile all day.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Here's another one: my wife worked at a place where the most common online review was "All the employees look miserable", so the company told all employees they had to smile all day.

The beatings will continue until morale improves !

Lost complete use of my left arm in 99 in a motorcycle accident. Put a serious dent in my wrenching skills for a while BUT I loved my hobby so I started figuring out ways to do stuff my self and made/modified tools so that I could use them one handed. Still working on cars, in fact a month ago I rebuilt the wife's new beetle suspension, complete brake job with caliper rebuilds, changed the cv shafts and oil. It takes me longer to do stuff but who cares I can say I did it my self and I always point out to my 6yo daughter that even if you have a handicap if you use your mind and are creative you can accomplish anything.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Taking too many steps (literal walking steps) to complete a task.

Holy cow, that's some serious micro-managing.

Not necessarily. In a production environment time matters. Bringing the tools closer to the work or the work closer to the tools or the raw materials closer to the workspace can make measurable gains in efficiency. Yeah, evil profits. We studied workflow in our shop, rearranged some machines and benches and saw percentage points improvement in production times without working any harder or faster.

Back in my days in consumer car repair, I worked at a Dealership and some independent shops. What affected my ability to repair in all cases, and what prompted my moving from one business to another, and led ultimately to my leaving the profession, was corrupt management that expected me to also be corrupt.

Basically I was told to find things to repair, that really didn't need to be repaired. Then explain to the customer why the bogus repair was absolutely critical, etc. I think the profession has improved in that regard, mainly due to numerous undercover stings by news organizations looking to expose the then rampant fraud.

About 15 years ago I started working in professional racing as a hobby. You absolutely have to do things correctly as there is no margin for error, AND you have to be fast. You're also away from home for most of the year. People enthusiastically join up, but then it becomes clear they lack the skill, the speed, and/or just the desire to be away from home for extended periods. Very few make the cut.

1. Knowledge
2. Needing very specialized tools that I hope I wouldn't use more than once
3. Time
4. Laziness

I gave up on doing my own clutch job this summer. Just not young enough for doing that laying on my back in the driveway again.

But I did do a complete overhaul of my AC system with new compressor and recharging first time this summer. Reused the evaporator and condenser but flushed them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back