Harvey's toll on vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really unfortunate for those who own them and don't pay full coverage. They get stung twice over because prices of decent used vehicles will spike beyond the full loss.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: another Todd
Many of those vehicles will end up on the used car market across the country, so beware.

Which is why I don't like places like CarMax.

31.gif
Might want to check your information; Carmax expressly does NOT sell flood damaged vehicles.

(Nor do they sell frame/unibody damaged vehicles.)

Not everyone carries full coverage insurance, I don't. I carry the absolute minimum on all my vehicles. If let's say my Corolla gets flooded & I never report it, Dry it out & trade it in at a Carmax....How would they or you know what happened??

Exactly. Bottom line let the buyer beware!

If Texas Homeowner's Insurance is anything like ours is on Long Island they have clauses designed to screw the homeowner in the event of a "Hurricane." Typically coverage is reduced because higher deductibles apply to "Hurricanes," unless there was a specific rider. It's all in the fine print on my policy.

From what I hear not too many beaters in Texas most get bought up quick by border crossers for cash. I am sure Mexico will get alot of those cars and be very happy.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
More cars are being lost because people did not evacuate. And why did they not evacuate you might ask? Looters. They're all over Houston and the outlying areas. In some places, they have boats and are acting like rescuers. Looters have already been shot by angry home/business owners and the looters are shooting back. They are also robbing people at gunpoint and invading houses that are still occupied. I used to live in Katy just west of Houston and friends tell me that at least 3 people have been shot. It's bad and getting worse. Residents are setting up watch groups and patrols. They're armed and don't expect any help from the police. Some areas are war zones and in Texas people have guns, lots of them.

They also didn't evacuate because they did not want to get stuck in a 20-hour traffic jam on a highway as flood water rose around them.

Terrible about that segment of society that loots.

Many of those vehicles will end up on the used car market across the country, so beware.

31.gif
Might want to check your information; Carmax expressly does NOT sell flood damaged vehicles.

Not everyone carries full coverage insurance, I don't. I carry the absolute minimum on all my vehicles. If let's say my Corolla gets flooded & I never report it, Dry it out & trade it in at a Carmax....How would they or you know what happened??

If you know what you are looking for you can easily spot a flood damaged vehicle.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Who cares?
Cars are more easily replaced than family homes and family heirlooms, not to mention the lives of family members.
All of these cars will go to auction and the buyers may part them, crush them or fix and resell them.

I care. I will need a replacement car in the near future. I don't want a flooded car.

Yeah, I have about a year till I need another vehicle for my kid turning 16, so I will b very wary of what I buy.
I am debating giving the '12 Scion to the kid and getting the wife a new vehicle (or a year old on that was not around during this flood).
Both my vehicles are fine.

I also love how easy it is for people to judge and say why did you not evacuate. You have no clue and just need to keep your mouth shut.
I know 5 friends that lost vehicles so far. 2 were parked at a fire station. I guess they should have left? The others were parked in their driveways that have not flooded in 30+ years.
Does everyone that evacuates need to take all their vehicles and clog up the roadway more?
There was less than 3 days notice of the possibility of severe flooding, and what we got was not expected till the day before. Last evacuation several hundred died due to the evacuation (less than died in the storm itself).

Cars involved in major flood incidents will find their way to used car lots all over the country where unsuspecting buyers may not know. For every person that checks the history and knows what to look for, there are likely 5-10 that have no idea what to look for or they don't think about it.

31.gif

Exactly. CarMax doesn't sell vehicles that they know are flooded, or that you could prove that they knew were flooded. Things like CarFax and other vehicle history reports only show things that are reported. I encountered this all the time in the insurance industry.

Here is an example:

Say I have a vehicle, which I hit a tree with and bend the frame. I fix it all myself or through a third party "shop" and don't go through insurance. The vehicle looks and drives fine to the average buyer, but without putting it up on a lift nobody can tell. You buy this vehicle. You notice it goes through front tires a lot, but other than that all is well. One day you rear-end someone at 5 mph, cracking the front bumper cover only, and the vehicle goes to be repaired. The thing comes back with major frame damage and is totaled from prior accident damage that never was reported.

Always get a used car inspected by a knowledgeable shop before buying.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
More cars are being lost because people did not evacuate. And why did they not evacuate you might ask? Looters. They're all over Houston and the outlying areas. In some places, they have boats and are acting like rescuers. Looters have already been shot by angry home/business owners and the looters are shooting back. They are also robbing people at gunpoint and invading houses that are still occupied. I used to live in Katy just west of Houston and friends tell me that at least 3 people have been shot. It's bad and getting worse. Residents are setting up watch groups and patrols. They're armed and don't expect any help from the police. Some areas are war zones and in Texas people have guns, lots of them.

In the aftermath of a heartbreaking major catastrophe like Harvey, the looters, robbers, and home invaders deserve to be shot! I, for one, would not hesitate to shoot them dead and wouldn't give them an opportunity to shoot back. A short barrel shotgun is the best weapon one can use to accomplish this, one shot and done. Texas law is on my side.
Many cities in Texas are now sending law enforcement personal to the area to help stop the criminals and limit the carnage. This story is FAR from over.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
ABC news reported tonight that the flooding according to a government agency will claim 300-500 thousand vehicles.

The latest report that I heard was that over 1,000,000 vehicles have been damaged/totaled by Harvey. The damage and flooding occurred in a LARGE geographical area equal in size to some entire states, not just Houston.
If anyone is thinking of buying a used vehicle in the near future, DO IT NOW! This catastrophe is going to suck-up available used vehicles from all over the country, create a shortage, and lead to much higher prices for the next 6-8 months (or longer). Also, everyone should expect that their insurance rates will increase, all of us are going to have to pay for this.

Isn't most of the looting retail stores? Full of wet stuff that's no good?

If I had a flood house I'd be happy if it got looted. Insurance is going to pay for all new stuff.

Shooting people over some wet junk? Not me. I don't want that kind of karma.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Isn't most of the looting retail stores? Full of wet stuff that's no good?
If I had a flood house I'd be happy if it got looted. Insurance is going to pay for all new stuff.
Shooting people over some wet junk? Not me. I don't want that kind of karma.

The entire city wasn't flooded and most of the looting is occurring where businesses/homes were on high enough ground to not be flooded. The criminals figure that either the owners aren't there or law enforcement won't be able to stop/apprehend them. Law enforcement officials have had their hands full dealing with saving lives, evacuating stranded people, trying to locate missing people, and checking flooded homes/vehicles for victims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back