Harvey flooding in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Dallas69
My daughter and her family got out of Houston Thursday ahead of Harvey.
Her house is flooded with several feet of water inside.
They have cameras so they can check but today they quit working so maybe the power is off.
She has lived there for 2yrs and has been flooded 3 times.
Houston has a terrible drainage system .
Concrete everywhere.
And today they are opening 2 dams to let excess water out and this will go into Houston.

So time to go permanently or put the house on stilts. I would be going after the second time the house flooded. The likelihood of mold etc is just to high

Just spoke yo our oldest boy in Katy . He said they are dry , still have poser & water . :)

Thank God & God bless
Wyr

A lot of people got out ahead of the storm.
I live about 90-100 miles east of Houston and houses are flooding here and people are having to move to shelters. We have been under advisement to stay where we are, and to not get on the road. There has been flooding rescues here also.
These storms are BIG. Harvey reached from the tip of Texas all of the way through New Orleans. A lot of the weather channels were scared of New Orleans flooding.
Everything East of the storm is where most of the rain falls. This storm just has nowhere to go as it is surrounded by high pressure.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
This is sizing up to be worse than anything before.
Flooding in Houston area has not peaked yet, several levees will be within one foot of the top and expected to crest Tuesday.
What a mess this will be.
Even the 1900 Galveston Hurricane?

Most deaths from flooding are in cars.
The fear was that 6 million people on the road would get stuck in traffic and no way out.
That is worse than staying home.
This is not over.

Originally Posted By: Neely97
This is sizing up to be worse than anything before.
Flooding in Houston area has not peaked yet, several levees will be within one foot of the top and expected to crest Tuesday.
What a mess this will be.
Even the 1900 Galveston Hurricane?

No-In the number of lives lost. Remember that Harvey did not hit in Houston.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Can't believe people decided to stay and ride out the storm.

Mayor told them to stay.

An evacuation order for Houston was issued before Hurricane Rita in 2005 and something like 100 people died on the roads. The whole area basically became gridlocked and many people decided they were safer staying home rather then trying to ride out the hurricane in a car stuck in a massive traffic jam.

Probably can't win either way, I doubt that the Houston mayor just decided not to evacuate for Harvey without intense consultations with a variety of experts. Guess it was confusing to residents because the governor seemed to be urging people to leave.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One
So far so good , we're high and dry.
But many highways and roads are impassable.
A few of my coworkers are land locked.
They're releasing water from Lake Conroe and Lake Livingston and are currently evacuating areas that they anticipate to take on more water due to the release.

That water releasing in those area is going to be BAD!
Also spring creek released water too this morning already.
Those people will have no financial issues though.
Property value there in literally $300K to $2M in much of those areas. (Spring Creek is really bad, they flooded a year ago)
Could get a million dollar home restored for a BargaIn!
Dum Millionaires
lol.gif

To be honest just don't know why people own homes in flooding areas.
Never understood why one just couldn't renovate/sell/move.

I stayed in. (wasn't going to affect me as much, as say galveston, kemah, etc)

I'm in Summerwood NE Houston area. Power never went out as it's mostly rain.
Flooding in all of Houston is pretty much Only here it Already floods....
However just scaled up to pretty much same said areas.

Meaning every area with creeks, low interstate/highway, obvious areas it floods.
Nothing new there, except it is much rain that accumulated.

My street did get 2 ft of water at it's peak.
House is elevated above street though atleast another 5' I'd say.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: bioburner
Houston mayor said to stay. Thought was that no way to get them out safely. Over 2 million in city proper. Other side of fence was they seen this storm coming two weeks ahead. PMd a member from Katy that's just west of Houston and is fine but lots of rain.

Mayor probably thought lots of people would be in massive traffic jam when hurricane approached and people caught in high winds and rain ?

It hit corpus first. I thought the worst was over cause nothing happened for a day or so, then Saturday night it started pouring for like 5hrs straight. Almost got water in the house. Only had and 8" to go. It came halfway up the driveway.

It might have helped to evacuate everyone that lived within a half mile of one of the major bayous. Someone's gotta have 500 year flood maps, if I was in a 500 year flood zone I would get out of Dodge if I was in one and a tropical system was coming my way.

I wasn't even that comfortable sitting in Austin during the storm, on Saturday the center of circulation stalled near Cuero, TX which is about 90 miles from me via car but who knows how far as the bird flies - maybe only 70 miles? But fortunately we were not on the east side of the storm so that limited the rainfall somewhat, not that 10" is a minor amount to get. If we had already had a wet summer and got 10" there would have been a lot more flooding here too. And there's been lots of flooding between here and Houston also, just that, the small towns don't make the national news.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I have power, but no cable and the internet on my phone comes and goes.

Good luck to you!

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Widespread 36-50" inches of rain is hard to wrap one's head around.

It's a new, unique realm of punishment.

This spring, we deep in the mainland were introduced to days-long persistent rainfall only for about 72 hours or so. It was just persistent rain that did not cease and it raised new concerns about saturation and flooding. Lake Ontario reached record levels (for 2 consecutive months). That was very unique because there was no significant water source able to be used to keep feeding it; it (the system) had to travel with, and into, the requisite amount of water all the way across the continent (totally skipping the Northwest, of course- how else are record breaking wildfires achieved in the same year as record setting flooding on the same latitude??).

The instant I heard about the plan for Harvey, I knew that it wasn't going to be the winds or momentary intense downpours featuring themselves, but the constant rain. It's a slow motion disaster.
I keep hearing 'once in 1000yr storm', too, which was quickly revised to 'once in 500yr storm' for whatever reason. Those are nice round numbers, great factoid format but based on what exactly? (tip: nothing)
It's like blowing up a building full of people with conventional explosives and then having reports tell you after-the-fact that it's a 'once in 1000yr chain-reaction, rapid-chemical-oxidation eventt; totally natural. WTH is that supposed to suggest, that this is nature? That if you wait long enough, a building will spontaneously explode due to nature? That if you wait long enough, the cutting edge of atmospheric science will spontaneously coordinate over a very long period of time to target low-lying coastal areas with specific style of destruction???

As for evacuation, that would have been another disaster if everyone tried to evacuate at the same time with the passable roads and highways being slashed to a small fraction. They stood by their decision and I agree. To many people, this strange event is unprecedented, because all they were expecting from the start was another hurricane with the associated winds and torrential downpours, not a week of unrelenting rainfall from a locked-in-place rotation going through pangs of resurgence....

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
steve-harvey-meme.jpg

kek
Oh he's definitely not happy about that name!!

A lot of katrina folks did not evacuate because they could not take their pets.

Now they can take pets. But they can not take their assault rifles and ammo.

It is Texas and I bet a lot stay to guard their stuff from looters.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back