Happy 50th! 1974 Triumph and 1974 BMW

Both built within a few months of each other in early 1974.
TRBMW18.JPG

As the wiki entry points out, the Bristol Airplane Company manufactured a copy of the 328 as the Bristol 400 in the late '40s. They even brought back the original engineer. That's the second time a British company built a German car. Austin had previously built the Austin 7 which was based on the BMW Dixie. Now the Germans build British makes.

To be googled:
BMW Dixie
Austin 7

As the wiki entry points out, the Bristol Airplane Company manufactured a copy of the 328 as the Bristol 400 in the late '40s. They even brought back the original engineer. That's the second time a British company built a German car. Austin had previously built the Austin 7 which was based on the BMW Dixie. Now the Germans build British makes.

To be googled:
BMW Dixie
Austin 7
You have this backward.
The Austin 7 was a pure Austin design built under license in Germany in the interwar period.
BMW also license built Count Rivolta's Isetta in the postwar period since it needed something to sell in those difficult times and its own very upmarket cars had few takers.

You have this backward.
The Austin 7 was a pure Austin design built under license in Germany in the interwar period.
BMW also license built Count Rivolta's Isetta in the postwar period since it needed something to sell in those difficult times and its own very upmarket cars had few takers.
I did not know this about the Dixie. I know about the Isetta but I also know it and the BMW Isetta share mostly the design and not much else.

Beautiful looking 2002 tii. One of my all time favorites! Always wanted one, but the earlier version with the European bumpers and round tail lights. Owned a ‘84 318i from new to 195k. Fun sedan with practicality. That little 1.8l 107 hp engine would sing at high rpm. The 5 speed manual shifted like a precision rifle bolt.

This article by David E. Davis of Car and Driver fame got me hooked on these cars. Wish they still made something similar.

Link to that article.

Also, more pics!

Beautiful looking 2002 tii. One of my all time favorites! Always wanted one, but the earlier version with the European bumpers and round tail lights. Owned a ‘84 318i from new to 195k. Fun sedan with practicality. That little 1.8l 107 hp engine would sing at high rpm. The 5 speed manual shifted like a precision rifle bolt.

This article by David E. Davis of Car and Driver fame got me hooked on these cars. Wish they still made something similar.

Link to that article.

Also, more pics!
I love that article and the most interesting thing about the '02 is how far ahead of their time they were, with only Alfa offering anything similar, but prettier and needier. Aside from the obvious size and features differences, somehow my '02 doesn't feel vintage or 'old' in a way that my Triumph does.

I will Admit though, I didn't find Davis's writing that appealing, I am more of a Peter Egan guy. His prose reminded me of things I was forced to read in high school :D He's dead on about Becker and Blaupunkt radios though, all my old cars have them (or will, this has a Conti for now) and they are all pretty much terrible...

Pics as requested:
BMWint2311.jpg

74Gabby020324.jpg

And alongside my Wife's new toy:
3ccrs3172024a.jpg

Thanks for the pics! That interior looks great. All functionality so as not to detract from the driving experience. Nice upgrades as well. The 318i wheels were a common change. Looks nice.

I enjoyed reading DED as well as Peter Egan. My thoughts, visceral versus intellectual.

Back