Hamburger "Order of Operations"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazed at some ingredients folks put on and in a hamburger. Anything other than Lettuce, Tomato, Mayo, raw onions and arguably Mustard, the thing ceases to be a hamburger. I like my burgers honest and unpretentious. Tomato, Onion, Mayo, salt and pepper. 85/15 ground beef, cooked medium well on charcoal. Bacon and eggs are for breakfast.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
First off I don't make burgers with all the same ingredient every time. It would get boring. Sometimes most of those ingredients but not all, other times just american cheese and bacon, maybe BBQ sauce, sometimes mushrooms, swiss and onion, and so on.

Anyway, I like the meat juices to get into the bun but more importantly, don't want a dripping burger so whatever is wettest goes next to the buns or cheese on the top bun if present. From a dietary standpoint it also makes sense that your high fat ingredient gets chewed up with the bun to decrease the carb digestion rate.

Onion you need next to the sauce or cheese to anchor it or you'll have bits falling off as you eat it. Same for lettuce if shredded instead of whole leaf. Pickle and onion belong together with mayo but as I vary burger ingredients I sometimes just use dill tarter sauce which has all 3 ingredients in it already.

Tomato is best when you don't have both mayo (or another sauce) AND cheese because it needs to be next to a bare bun to not drip everywhere, unless it's one of those grocery store monstrosities genetically engineered for shelf life above taste which also have less juice to them and might as well not be put on a burger at all.

Biggest mistake I see people make is trying to cram too much on a single burger. Put less on each and eat another one. It's meant to be a hand held food that doesn't create a mess while eaten. If you need a napkin you're doing it wrong.

51 Shades of burger.

First off I don't make burgers with all the same ingredient every time. It would get boring. Sometimes most of those ingredients but not all, other times just american cheese and bacon, maybe BBQ sauce, sometimes mushrooms, swiss and onion, and so on.

Anyway, I like the meat juices to get into the bun but more importantly, don't want a dripping burger so whatever is wettest goes next to the buns or cheese on the top bun if present. From a dietary standpoint it also makes sense that your high fat ingredient gets chewed up with the bun to decrease the carb digestion rate.

Onion you need next to the sauce or cheese to anchor it or you'll have bits falling off as you eat it. Same for lettuce if shredded instead of whole leaf. Pickle and onion belong together with mayo but as I vary burger ingredients I sometimes just use dill tarter sauce which has all 3 ingredients in it already.

Tomato is best when you don't have both mayo (or another sauce) AND cheese because it needs to be next to a bare bun to not drip everywhere, unless it's one of those grocery store monstrosities genetically engineered for shelf life above taste which also have less juice to them and might as well not be put on a burger at all.

Biggest mistake I see people make is trying to cram too much on a single burger. Put less on each and eat another one. It's meant to be a hand held food that doesn't create a mess while eaten. If you need a napkin you're doing it wrong.
. If the ingredients aren’t dripping down your wrists and arms.....you’re doing it wrong!

Originally Posted By: gman2304

. If the ingredients aren’t dripping down your wrists and arms.....you’re doing it wrong!

This reminds me of a good Mahony's N'awlins roast beef po-boy. IMO, they make the BEST, messiest roast beef po-boy around. If you don't have a stack of used napkins after you're done, it wasn't made correct! C'est Si Bon, mon sha'!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Try "bottomings" rather than "toppings".

Dang... now I am really craving a good burger.
20.gif

top bun
jalapenos
ketchup and mustard
sliced onions (in this position helps hold ketchup/mustard in position)
burger
tomato (warms up slightly)
lettuce (keeps meat juice off bottom bun)
bottom bun

First, a bun needs a condiment such as mayo, mustard, or butter. This is to provide a barrier so the bun doesn't disintegrate or turn gluey. This is sandwich 101. Toasting the bun in butter can work also.
The cheese goes on top of the burger. Right? Does ANYONE disagree with this?
Above that, lettuce, tomato, onion, and optional pickle.
If there is one secret to a great burger, it is grinding your own beef. Freshly ground high quality beef with the proper percentage of fat will make all the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back