Hamburger "Order of Operations"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldnt put lettuce directly under the meat, wouldnt the meat make the lettuce all gross? The pic above looks interesting with lettuce, tomato onion on top, with meat on top of the onion. Quality medium ground beef or mixing butter in the mix is a good idea. If you use good meat, just the butter in it kosher salt and pepper on both sides, and toss it on the grill. I love burgers.. now im hungry, thanks alot!

Id do it this way:

Bottom bun lightly toasted
ketchup
mustard
relish
onion
beef
tomato
pickles & hot banana peppers
lettuce
mayo on top part of bun

Last edited:
Skip the lettuce and garlic, no business on a burger. What might be more important than stacking order is the ratio of meat to bun. Nothing worse than a nicely grilled burger totally engulfed by a too-big bun. Should be meat showing all the way around and not too fluffy either.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Not only Worcestershire sauce but I also shred butter and mix it in with the meat along with (sometimes) bacon.

Hopefully you are mixing in cooked bacon, otherwise that would be one dry burger after you grille it for 6 hours to get up to proper temp.

Mayo belongs on a sandwich, not a burger.
Mustard only.
Ketchup on the fries.
Btm bun
Meat
Onions
Pickles
Mater
Lettuce optional
Top bun

First, toast both buns BEFORE adding anything. Keeps the buns from soaking out.
Second, squeeze lettuce & pickles between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Third, though I like a good tomato, many store bought are tasteless and not worth the moisture. So taste them first. Make them earn a place.
Fourth, for an interesting add, pick up a can of those fried onions that go on green bean casserole. Makes for a crunchy element that won't sog out. Also go great with beer as a snack. (You can make your own in a pinch by sauteing thinly-sliced shallots).

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
First, toast both buns BEFORE adding anything. Keeps the buns from soaking out.
Second, squeeze lettuce & pickles between paper towels to remove excess moisture.
Third, though I like a good tomato, many store bought are tasteless and not worth the moisture. So taste them first. Make them earn a place.
Fourth, for an interesting add, pick up a can of those fried onions that go on green bean casserole. Makes for a crunchy element that won't sog out. Also go great with beer as a snack. (You can make your own in a pinch by sauteing thinly-sliced shallots).

Good point on the tomato.. most of them do taste rather bland.

Reddy45 I cook year round on the grill... I've cooked when it was 15°f out and snowing on my charcoal grill. All ya gotta do.... Is just make the fire a bit bigger to compensate for the cold. And cook or smoke on.

First off I don't make burgers with all the same ingredient every time. It would get boring. Sometimes most of those ingredients but not all, other times just american cheese and bacon, maybe BBQ sauce, sometimes mushrooms, swiss and onion, and so on.

Anyway, I like the meat juices to get into the bun but more importantly, don't want a dripping burger so whatever is wettest goes next to the buns or cheese on the top bun if present. From a dietary standpoint it also makes sense that your high fat ingredient gets chewed up with the bun to decrease the carb digestion rate.

Onion you need next to the sauce or cheese to anchor it or you'll have bits falling off as you eat it. Same for lettuce if shredded instead of whole leaf. Pickle and onion belong together with mayo but as I vary burger ingredients I sometimes just use dill tarter sauce which has all 3 ingredients in it already.

Tomato is best when you don't have both mayo (or another sauce) AND cheese because it needs to be next to a bare bun to not drip everywhere, unless it's one of those grocery store monstrosities genetically engineered for shelf life above taste which also have less juice to them and might as well not be put on a burger at all.

Biggest mistake I see people make is trying to cram too much on a single burger. Put less on each and eat another one. It's meant to be a hand held food that doesn't create a mess while eaten. If you need a napkin you're doing it wrong.

Originally Posted By: Dave9
First off I don't make burgers with all the same ingredient every time. It would get boring. Sometimes most of those ingredients but not all, other times just american cheese and bacon, maybe BBQ sauce, sometimes mushrooms, swiss and onion, and so on.

Anyway, I like the meat juices to get into the bun but more importantly, don't want a dripping burger so whatever is wettest goes next to the buns or cheese on the top bun if present. From a dietary standpoint it also makes sense that your high fat ingredient gets chewed up with the bun to decrease the carb digestion rate.

Onion you need next to the sauce or cheese to anchor it or you'll have bits falling off as you eat it. Same for lettuce if shredded instead of whole leaf. Pickle and onion belong together with mayo but as I vary burger ingredients I sometimes just use dill tarter sauce which has all 3 ingredients in it already.

Tomato is best when you don't have both mayo (or another sauce) AND cheese because it needs to be next to a bare bun to not drip everywhere, unless it's one of those grocery store monstrosities genetically engineered for shelf life above taste which also have less juice to them and might as well not be put on a burger at all.

Biggest mistake I see people make is trying to cram too much on a single burger. Put less on each and eat another one. It's meant to be a hand held food that doesn't create a mess while eaten. If you need a napkin you're doing it wrong.

Dave this is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. Thanks!

Oz "burger with the lot", or "works burger" depending on state doesn't get TOO messy, but is absolutely loaded.

australian-hamburger-with-the-lot.jpg

http://www.endlesssimmer.com/2011/01/25/top-10-foods-only-australia-could-have-invented/

No pickles or mayo.

Worcestershire sauce in the meat mix is a MUST.

Got time? Divide any burger patty into 2 thinner patties and cook 'em separately.
You get double the cooked beef goodness (Bernolli-cooked protein-effect?)

Also, I chop pickles and mix 'em into the meat. Flavor, salting and moisture in one step.

NEWS FLASH: American cheese has no flavor so WHY BOTHER WITH IT? I know it's cheap but c'mon.

In ascening order;

Bottom bun
Patty
Cheese (optional)
lettuce
Tomato
Top bun

Leave the mayo and mustard in the containers where they belong.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Yes, those are quite tasty and I first enjoyed them on Red Robin's Whiskey River burger. They offer a free one for your birthday. Best burger there by far. None of the other ones did much for me except for that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back