Guy in 5.0 Mustang challenged me this morning to a race

In regards to the pulse about the 6.2 and the Mustang and without spending my every waking moment replying to this thread that's the race on paper. My point to grantee was with cars that are that closely matched whoever gets the better launch and whichever driver wants it more it should be a very interesting race.

I keep forgetting this is the board where everything will be analyzed down to the very minutiae. This is why I basically said to Grampi to go find out.

I'm sure the cars could trade results depending on if it's a roll race if it's a stoplight race whoever wants it more whoever has the better tires whatever the atmosphere conditions are that day whoever has more gas and a tank etc etc etc. So if you want to respond to every single one of those points you go right ahead but I said what I said and I'm getting agreement already that it should come down to the driver which is essentially what I said there. Excellent.

Tried to use the quotes but it wasn't working out so here it goes.

Any way you slice it, the 12.5 second, 115-117MPH trap speeds of today's 5.0 Mustang are excellent, and quite simply, exactly in Corvette C8 territory. The last Friday night "test n tune" at PBIR (before they closed down) brought out the mustang owners. Many of whom had never raced before.

The various C8 Vette's there were more than a second faster in the 1/4 mile at about 11.2 but the trap speeds never exceeded 116-117.

As you know, trap speeds indicate HP, or more accurately, power to weight. The C8 is faster due to superb traction at launch, but is not significantly, if any, more powerful.

Winter of 2020 I had a chance to get a 5.0 with a 5 speed MT and the performance exhaust for around 33K no trade.
But both the inside and the outside of the car looked really cheap and poorly made. I guess most of the budget $$ is in the drivetrain. I also didnt like the new nose OR the shiny styrene plastic between the taillights. Then I was thinking about the fall apart chinese trans, and also thinking about how I have had zero luck with Mustangs since the early eighties.

I guess most of the $$ is in the drivetrain.

Did Hess tell his wife the story - It's reportedly HER car

and finally No GoPro it didnt happen :)

I do this in my Corolla every day, every light. Slam 'er to the floor, get it to the speed limit, let up. I once tried to get up to 135 but it took 5 hours to get to 80 and I had to stop to fill my tank. I do it in front of police and everything. Never been pulled over.

*Hopefully you see the satire*

This can be the type of thing where it's easier to die in the crash than spend the rest of your life in prison realizing you killed a mother and child. At least you attempted to survey for remoteness therefore increasing the odds of someone died it would only be the people willingly engaging in reckless behavior. But you never know when there's a side road or something you didn't see or didn't account for how quickly things move at 100+. Just drive through Montana and watch people pass you at 90+ on normal interstate curves. They almost ALWAYS pull into, or close to, the other lane. Because the momentum is huge at 90+ and a slight curve becomes relatively tighter at higher speeds. Whenever I road trip through that never ending state I watch my side mirrors and hug the right side when cars are passing me. They too frequently come into my lane trying to wipe my family and I out so they can get somewhere a couple minutes sooner than driving slower around the curves.

Winter of 2020 I had a chance to get a 5.0 with a 5 speed MT and the performance exhaust for around 33K no trade.
But both the inside and the outside of the car looked really cheap and poorly made. I guess most of the budget $$ is in the drivetrain. I also didnt like the new nose OR the shiny styrene plastic between the taillights. Then I was thinking about the fall apart chinese trans, and also thinking about how I have had zero luck with Mustangs since the early eighties.

I guess most of the $$ is in the drivetrain.

Did Hess tell his wife the story - It's reportedly HER car

and finally No GoPro it didnt happen :)

No GoPro and I didn’t say anything to my wife.

Again, I should have NOT raced but couldn‘t resist.

Any way you slice it, the 12.5 second, 115-117MPH trap speeds of today's 5.0 Mustang are excellent, and quite simply, exactly in Corvette C8 territory. The last Friday night "test n tune" at PBIR (before they closed down) brought out the mustang owners. Many of whom had never raced before.

The various C8 Vette's there were more than a second faster in the 1/4 mile at about 11.2 but the trap speeds never exceeded 116-117.

As you know, trap speeds indicate HP, or more accurately, power to weight. The C8 is faster due to superb traction at launch, but is not significantly, if any, more powerful.

Yep, C8 have a crazy launch and LT2 engine really not that much more horsepower than a stock LT1 or 5.0 in Mustang.

C8 being lighter also a big benefit.

I'm just glad that neither one of you two lost control, and someone completely innocent ended up seriously injured or killed.

But that's just me.

No one around.... 4 lane highway... Good weather... = I don't care about that.

Now.....

Let me tell you a legit really dangerous racing scenario....

Two idiots from my area driving from the stoplight at rte 199 and Rte 60 .... These guys from that show Street Outlaws.... By the way.... Driving well above 150-170 mph DRIVING INTO a town aka Williamsburg on a Saturday evening at 615 pm with lots of people all around and on route 60..... And those 2 idiots came racing up to me and thank goodness they managed to get around me without hitting me while I was going 50-52 mph. Took them both a long, long, long while too slow down for that stoplight ahead at the Outlet Mall area.

That.....

Is way, way, way worse that what Dave Hess did here with that other guy. .

#1 Lots of other drivers on the road

#2 At 615 in the evening....

#3 Police do sit in the median on that section of Rte 60 at times... = Really stupid idea .

#4 Driving into a town like Williamsburg with lots of tourist and it's a busy time of year for then when this happened too.

Last edited:
Watching Mustang crashing on video is a nice way to burn time. Why are so many idiots attracted to this particular car.

Or is it reasonable people who have some serious lapses in judgement and become idiots. My 40yr+brother in law included who is very law abiding good US citizen has decide to race and win against AMG MB, BMW M5 etc with a slightly modified 2008 GT500 Shelby Mustang on highway. The car IMHO is serious mess in handling the excess power it puts down.

Last edited:

And they look either GREAT or STRANGE, depending on the angle. Not sure I like them.

One can create a thread about illegal street racing, but by dang you ask for legal advice, BITOG is not the place for that…

Our favorite mod must be on vacation?
Moderators remove posts that violate rules. Politics, religion, medical/legal advice. Posts that cause contention, or posts that create liability.

Stupid behaviour, stupid posts, and stupid questions don’t violate the rules.

If the moderators removed posts based on foolishness - how much of BITOG would be left?

J/K…

But you see what I mean…

You should've tried driving a 1st gen Miata... All those guys still want to race you, but they would win! :ROFLMAO: In 1st gear it would keep up with almost anything fwd across the intersection, but not so much after that...
I almost wrecked a grump old guy tailgating me onto an off ramp though in his old boat. He got within a foot of the guard rail...
A couple of my favorite street "encounters":

1. Back in the late '80s, a guy in an early 80's Z28 tried to keep up with my 1973 Bavaria 3.0 on a secluded rural two lane; I easily pulled away in the corners but when the road straightened out he really put his foot into it to catch me. Problem was, I knew the road had two huge frost heaves located 500' from the last corner (leading on to a long straight). He didn't. My Bavaria glided over the buckled pavement at 80+, but when the Z28 hit them his front end bottomed out and the front crossmember and oil pan dug into the pavement creating a beautiful shower of sparks. Twice. The last time I saw Z man he was s-l-o-w-l-y pulling over to the shoulder. I laughed all the way home.

2. I was sitting at a light in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 when a kid in a decrepit "tuned" mid '90s Civic Si pulled up beside me revving his engine. On the green I left at just about 1/3 throttle. The Honda "surged" past, but on the 3-4 shift Civic punk grabbed second. The poor motor screamed, the front wheels screeched, and the idiot driver nearly cracked his empty head on the windshield. My son laughed until he cried.

Last edited:
Moderators remove posts that violate rules. Politics, religion, medical/legal advice. Posts that cause contention, or posts that create liability.

Stupid behaviour, stupid posts, and stupid questions don’t violate the rules.

If the moderators removed posts based on foolishness - how much of BITOG would be left?

J/K…

But you see what I mean…

I wonder if anyone has challenged @Astro14 in that twin-turbo S600.. 😃

A lot of cars launch off the line fairly well..

1. Back in the late '80s, a guy in an early 80's Z28 tried to keep up with my 1973 Bavaria 3.0 on a secluded rural two lane; I easily pulled away in the corners but when the road straightened out he really put his foot into it to catch me. Problem was, I knew the road had two huge frost heaves located 500' from the last corner (leading on to a long straight). He didn't. My Bavaria glided over the buckled pavement at 80+, but when the Z28 hit them his front end bottomed out and the front crossmember and oil pan dug into the pavement creating a beautiful shower of sparks. Twice. The last time I saw Z man he was s-l-o-w-l-y pulling over to the shoulder. I laughed all the way home.

2. I was sitting at a light in my 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 when a kid in a decrepit "tuned" mid '90s Civic Si pulled up beside me revving his engine. On the green I left at just about 1/3 throttle. The Honda "surged" past, but on the 3-4 shift Civic punk grabbed second. The poor motor screamed, the front wheels screeched, and the idiot driver nearly cracked his empty head on the windshield. My son laughed until he cried.

Mazdas are kind fast (the 3s)

Any embarrassment of a Honda gets a 👍from me.

I wonder if anyone has challenged @Astro14 in that twin-turbo S600.. 😃

A lot of cars launch off the line fairly well..
Once.

A lowered 370Z at a light - late at night.

Mrs. Astro was driving us home from a party.

She let have a couple lengths.

Then shut him down.

The gaping jaw of the driver, in stunned shock, as she pulled past him while he was winding it out in each gear, was priceless.

There are quicker cars, but the S600 has a lot of torque. It moves off the line very quickly. What’s genuinely impressive about that car isn’t 0-60.

It’s 60 - whatever you need.

I used to drive a stock SI. 2002. Fun to drive, and faster than most daily drivers, but not going to win a drag race with a moderately defined "fast car." People in "fastish" cars would often rev at lights and make eye contact. I'd give a thumbs up, rev my engine, and then just drive normally. That's my sense of humor coming into play. My dad gets it all the time with his Impala. It's just a stock V8 muscle car era Impala. Yeah, big V8, but they're not fast. They weigh a trillion pounds. A Honda Fit could probably beat it in a drag race. So I don't get it. Some alpha thing I guess.

I admit it was very a bad decision to race the other car.

Nah....

Not really that bad....

If no one was really around...

4 lane divided highway...

Road straight...

Very good weather....

That's not a big deal.

That evening I about got run over by the guys from that Street Outlaw shop west of town... That's extremely dumb and dangerous.

By the way... I was watching the No Prep Kings show first season and the voice over guy mentioned these guys were from Williamsburg Va.... That is when I knew who just about hit me that evening the year before.

Been one thing if they had been doing that on Rte 60 west headed towards Richmond. No one around and 4 lane divided highway...

Back