Group I (solvent refined) motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group I (solvent refined) motor oil has kept a pretty low profile on this board.
Is there still much use for it?Where would it be used advantageously?Was it responsable for sludging up motors in the past?Should one avoid it?Is it being phased out?
Can it compete with Group II and group III motor oils?

Group 1 motor oils are still used quite a bit in developing countries but the switch is on for grp II so we will see less and less of it in the international PCMO market. Here in the US I really don't know if it is used any more in the motor oils/transmission/gear oils made by the major companies. It may be used in very small amounts for additive solubility since it is one of the grp I strong points. I doubt it though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Group 1 motor oils are still used quite a bit in developing countries but the switch is on for grp II so we will see less and less of it in the international PCMO market. Here in the US I really don't know if it is used any more in the motor oils/transmission/gear oils made by the major companies. It may be used in very small amounts for additive solubility since it is one of the grp I strong points. I doubt it though.

Group I is used in some formulations as an additive carrier but not in an high enough percentage to affect the performance of the PCMO.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Isn't it used a large amount in cheap, bulk 15W-40's?

Even the cheapest bulk 15w-40 in the US and I would assume Canada is usually CJ-4 and meeting that without Group IIs would be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back