Gripe with MB dealership

Talk about dealers.
My local Hyundai dealer goes over board to almost being annoying to make sure I'm satisfied.
They treat me like a King for buying two humble Elantras.
Every oil change they wash the car.
Is washing a car after service normal for dealers?

Originally Posted by marine65
Talk about dealers.
My local Hyundai dealer goes over board to almost being annoying to make sure I'm satisfied.

Yes

They have no incentive to be bothered with people asking about sizes and how to repair something. If you want to do it yourself than as far as they are concerned you can do it yourself and figure it out yourself. That is the stark reality of business.

Not all dealers are like this. Here in the Milwaukee area there are five or so Toyota dealers and they couldn't be more different. One is awful, their parts prices are high and when you drive up they flock out the door trying to sell you a new car. But another one near the airport is completely different, their parts are reasonably priced and I've gotten a lot of free advice from the service department (they know I work on most stuff myself). The Honda dealership near this Toyota one is also quite helpful and reasonable. So it pays to look around, another dealership might be a much different experience.

The same thing applies to both BMW dealers in my area, the one nearest to downtown Milwaukee is terrible but the one out on the north side is far better. They even seem amused at or interested in my old BMW and have on occasion bent over backwards to help me.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
I've stated before, that after I'm done with the BMW in my signature, I'm done with Euro vehicles in general.
The premium you get for driving it is not worth the price of admission (and can't forget the aggravation).
Same for me, when the lease is up on the C300, we will be waving goodbye to it and Euro cars too.

Be realistic here. You call a MB dealership wanting to know the bolt sizes... for what purpose? So you can go out and order it elsewhere? That's not good use of the parts department time and you're screwing them out of a sale.

Buy the bolts from the dealership, then go to a hardware store use the bolt sizing tool they have hanging and take notes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sloinker
Talk about dealers.

Yes

Not here. Customer has already waited three hours and is mad as [censored]. By the way, would you like to purchase a set of wheel locks because we can't find the key for the unwanted set put on during PDI?

As for OP's problem, some manufacturers give specs, some don't. GM is pretty good about it. Ideally you use the catalog part number and use the exact OE bolt instead of fishing through the bulk bins.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Talk about dealers.

Yes

Not here. Customer has already waited three hours and is mad as [censored]. By the way, would you like to purchase a set of wheel locks because we can't find the key for the unwanted set put on during PDI?

As for OP's problem, some manufacturers give specs, some don't. GM is pretty good about it. Ideally you use the catalog part number and use the exact OE bolt instead of fishing through the bulk bins.

Wash and last time they filled my car up with fuel too. I think they had to road test after the recall repair and that may be why they filled it. They don't usually fuel it but always wash it. Last time they picked it up and dropped it off at my house due to the current worldwide health/thing of which we are prohibited to speak its name.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Talk about dealers.

Yes

Wash and last time they filled my car up with fuel too. I think they had to road test after the recall repair and that may be why they filled it. They don't usually fuel it but always wash it. Last time they picked it up and dropped it off at my house due to the current worldwide health/thing of which we are prohibited to speak its name.

If I ever have to take my car into the dealership to have work done on it, I would be very unhappy if they washed and fueled my car before returning it to me. I do not want them performing either, and would tell them so if they asked me before hand, which I sincerely hope they do with you.

To just wash and fuel a customer's car without asking first is a big no-no in my book. I would not return to any dealership that treated me so disrespectfully.

Back