Green versus Orange Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dexcool has gotten a bad rap lately in a lot of places...I dunno I have it in three of my four cars, but two of them are a 2001 and 2002. My 1996 Corvette has Dexcool in it an it was putting a little sludge into the overflow canister. That is usually a good sign that the corrosion inhibitor package in the coolant is done. it also happened right at 5.5 years of coolant age. I simply flushed the cooling system and refilled with new Dexcool. Also washed out the overflow canister. This was last spring and I have had no more sludge coming up in the overflow. I also chaned the radiator at that time cause mine was beginning to leak at the tank seals..the entire system as far as I could see was spotlessly clean.

Here are two links with some info you may like to read:

http://autorepair.about.com/library/weekly/aa052601a.htm

http://www.imcool.com/articles/anitfreeze-coolant/dexcool-macs2001.htm

[ December 29, 2002, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Alex D ]

I was always told that the brown sludge found in the coolant is actually from leak stopping tabs added at the factory. At least, as in regards to my Grand Prix.

Also another problem I see is when people add water to the system thinking they are doing the right thing. But they are diluting the 50/50 mix and leading to the demise of the coolant. I know one person that has been doing this to his truck. I told him that was a bad thing to do but he is too cheap to buy the Dex-Cool. Its amazing that some will spend $35,000 for a vehicle but will nickel and dime servicing it.

I see a least one company (can't recall which, Prestone?) is marketing a 50/50 mixture for toping off.

I have had no problem with Dex-Cool. I have run it 95,000 miles in my 1999 K2500 Suburban and it still looks good.

[ January 07, 2003, 09:06 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Don't be surprised Mike, I've seen people put ATF Type A fluid in their $100,000 Mercedes because it was 20 cents a quart less than Dexron. -- By the way, a Mercedes Trans on Type A has a useful life of about 10,000 km. (Documented)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back