Greatest/worst 3.5/3.6 24-valve V6 of the late 2000s?

The demise of mine was emissions, and I hate to say it rust. Maybe I didn't care for it as I should have, or, I got duped by the dealer (it may have had body work as a new car). But oh the trips I took in that thing 1998-2002. $0.76/gal regular (I ran it on regular all 25 years) and those nights in Montreal, like something out of a Yacht Rock tune! :ROFLMAO:

Knock on wood we own that one and it's 12 years old. Never thought that guy was too good at what he does. His vlogs often began with whining and justifying why he charges so much. To each his own. Not everyone can be a ChrisFix and actually want to help others. Then again not everyone will reach 9.5 mil subs either. One thing I remember even ChrisFix didn't know (too young) was what the W stands for in 10W30

It seems like a lot of time too he has no idea what he's talking about.

I guess if I was going to make videos on a vehicle, I'd know the vehicle. He went on a rant a few months about about a Ford Econoline and the problematic 3 valve 5.4 in it.

An engine which never made it to the e-series vans.

I guess if I was going to make videos on a vehicle, I'd know the vehicle. He went on a rant a few months about about a Ford Econoline and the problematic 3 valve 5.4 in it.

Interesting, I suppose anybody can be in that position. I don't watch him often, however, I first became aware of him since I was wondering what to do with a used car I bought and the auto trans fluid, car was 10 y.o. and 81k miles...

Interesting, the J35 seems to come up a few times.
I have one without VCM in my old Accord and while it provides adequate performances I just don't find it very enthusiasming.
On the other hand I drove some Maxima with VQ35 and was much more impressed, but they don't seem to come in manual very often (if at all?)

Interesting, the J35 seems to come up a few times.
I have one without VCM in my old Accord and while it provides adequate performances I just don't find it very enthusiasming.
On the other hand I drove some Maxima with VQ35 and was much more impressed, but they don't seem to come in manual very often (if at all?)

Nissan had that "SHIFT_" ad campaign in the early 2000s, remember?

According to Wikipedia :rolleyes: the Maxima was available with VQ35 and a manual from 2002 to 2006. Earlier Maxima were available with the manual, too.

I believe the Altima was also available with that combo - at the time it was considered a bit too much power for a front-drive car.

Of course, the 350Z and Infiniti Q35 offered the VQ35 with a manual and rear-drive...

Didn't Toyota have a 3.5 liter in this era? Are they problematic for some reason, or why is nobody mentioning them?
Yes. But Toyota's tend to run under the radar.

The 2GR-FSE on the IS/GS350 made over 300 hp and made the Ward's best engine list for 2006-2009. Also has Toyota's twin injection D4-S system.

Lesser Toyota's and Lexus ES350 had the port-injected version 2GR-FE with less power and torque.

Then around 2017, it got replaced by the 2GR-FKS with the D4-S injection system like the FSE, but with a simulated Atkinson cycle with just over 300 hp.

And the 2GR-FXS was paired with the Toyota hybrid system for the Highlander Hybrid and Lexus RX400h

There are some issues with the front timing cover, as it may develop oil leaks on the long term, and it's a very labor intensive job, as shown on the YouTube the Car Care Nut channel.

Ford N/A 3.5/3.7 in a rwd platform. I’ve seen them accumulate a whole bunch of trouble free miles in Transits and base model F150s.

It’s just a shame they had to repackage the water pump for fitment into fwd platforms.
Yup - the Cyclone engine series is a very good one indeed. The FWD pump replacement is the only real Achilles heel in the otherwise outstanding engine. Powerful, smooth, quiet, low oil consumption, reaseonable fuel economy, excellent wear traits, not a sludger ... I love these engines.

"Car Wizard" is a whiny . Can't stand him. Not one of my subsciptions and I subscribe to quite a few car channels on the youtubes.
He'll typically spend half the video blaming the previous owner for bad maintenance, then another several minutes blaming all the other shops for not fixing the car properly, then he'll actually FIX the car himself (off camera of course) and then he wraps up the video telling us how he's the hero once again for saving this vehicle from the junkyard.

In other news, the sun came up in the east again today.

You’ve left the VCM active with no problems?
Yes. I've left VCM active. I drive with a very light foot trying to hypermile (always trying to conserve momentum and coasting whenever possible). So with my driving style, its on 3 cylinders only most of the time with the eco light on. Also, a few of my vans are short trippers.
With these engines, sludge is very common since the front cylinder heads get exremely hot and cook the oil.

After discussing with a few mechanics on this forum years ago, I switched to 5W-30 full synthetic only, and do 4k/6 month OCIs.

One of my vehicles did need an engine mount, but was able to use a cheap aftermarket for $250 instead of the expensive OEM one. That was the only downside of the VCM.
But I like the extra fuel efficiency of the VCM. After doing the short OCI for years, oil consumption is 0 ounces between oil changes in all 4 vans, and oil never gets a dark color, so likely there is no sludge in the engines.

He'll typically spend half the video blaming the previous owner for bad maintenance, then another several minutes blaming all the other shops for not fixing the car properly, then he'll actually FIX the car himself (off camera of course) and then he wraps up the video telling us how he's the hero once again for saving this vehicle from the junkyard.

In other news, the sun came up in the east again today.
Agreed. Car wizard is a lazy mechanic who charges his customers too much.
I prefer other youtube mechanics who you can really learn important things from,
like why low tension piston rings get gummed up and seized from deposit buildup from poor maintenance that causes oil burning as the dirty oil control rings cease to function and don't wipe the oil from the cylinder walls. The remaining oil on the cylinder wall then gets burned.

Last edited:
Yup - the Cyclone engine series is a very good one indeed. The FWD pump replacement is the only real Achilles heel in the otherwise outstanding engine. Powerful, smooth, quiet, low oil consumption, reaseonable fuel economy, excellent wear traits, not a sludger ... I love these engines.
The 3.3L Cyclone was efficient, powerful if revved and moderately frugal. One problem at 22K I either had a lifter ticking loudly, or the beginning of Phaser Issues.

With these engines, sludge is very common since the front cylinder heads get exremely hot and cook the oil.

I don't think that's correct -- I think the heavy varnish in the front head is due to the PCV valve. Gen 2 Odysseys put the PCV valve on the rear head, and on those the rear head gets heavily varnished. And anyway, I think the coolant flow is split evenly out of the thermostat, so they ought to be equal in temp unless VCM is running.

I do think you have a good maintenance plan on your Odyssey fleet and I'm interested in seeing how they hold up long term. I wonder if the PCV valve replacement might be the key to making them last.

I don't think that's correct -- I think the heavy varnish in the front head is due to the PCV valve. Gen 2 Odysseys put the PCV valve on the rear head, and on those the rear head gets heavily varnished. And anyway, I think the coolant flow is split evenly out of the thermostat, so they ought to be equal in temp unless VCM is running.

I do think you have a good maintenance plan on your Odyssey fleet and I'm interested in seeing how they hold up long term. I wonder if the PCV valve replacement might be the key to making them last.
Yes, the PCV is too small and inadequate. I replace every 30k miles.
I stocked up on them at an online Honda dealer before inflation hit, and have a nice stach even if part eventually gets discontinued by Honda.

Your right about the heavy varnish on the front heads.
I am purchasing HPL engine cleaner for the next 3 oil changes
on each van (1 quart HPL Engine Cleaner + 3.5 quarts regular full synthetic).
HPL has a good deal if you buy the 12 pack.of the Engine Cleaner.

I am going to try to keep all 4 Odyssey's another 12 years.
I just don't like the newer vehicles styling, etc.

It's so nice to own 4 vehicles with no oil consumption
and no oil leaks. Also I paid cash for them, and have no debt,
so am likely to hold onto them for as long as possible.

I do a drain and fill of the ATF every 15k/3 years, whichever comes first,
as many owners on the odyclub forum say if you do that you'll likely never have any transmission issues ever. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes. But Toyota's tend to run under the radar.

The 2GR-FSE on the IS/GS350 made over 300 hp and made the Ward's best engine list for 2006-2009. Also has Toyota's twin injection D4-S system.

Lesser Toyota's and Lexus ES350 had the port-injected version 2GR-FE with less power and torque.

Then around 2017, it got replaced by the 2GR-FKS with the D4-S injection system like the FSE, but with a simulated Atkinson cycle with just over 300 hp.

And the 2GR-FXS was paired with the Toyota hybrid system for the Highlander Hybrid and Lexus RX400h

There are some issues with the front timing cover, as it may develop oil leaks on the long term, and it's a very labor intensive job, as shown on the YouTube the Car Care Nut channel.
I didnt realize the 2GR-FSE dated that far back. How well do these age? After I bought my GS-350 I learned it is a populr engine with somewhat of a cult following for swaps. Forged internals, piston squirters, and it definitely has both punch and refinement… but not really sure how solid they are for the long haul? Albeit, mine came used, and I suspect rather poorly maintained - it makes funny noises when cold. :(

The VG 3.3? UGH. I owned one in a Pathfinder and it was SLOW, NOISY and thirsty to boot!
I never hated the VG33, it was a smooth, super reliable engine that never gave me any issues. I had the supercharged version (VG33ER) and it was a thirsty pig, premium fuel at that. I'm not sure I ever got over 17mpg even in perfectly ideal highway driving, 14-15 was the norm.

It had decent power output for its time, comparable to a ford 4.0L SOHC or GM 4.3L of the era. The supercharger gave it great low end torque and that nice whine, not much else.

You sure about that? I'm certain I drove a 5.4L 3 valve in an Econoline. It sticks out in my mind because it was the first 3V Triton I'd ever driven and I remember thinking how much an improvement in power there was over the old design.

It was a 2007 IIRC, larger one that seated 8-10+ passengers

You sure about that? I'm certain I drove a 5.4L 3 valve in an Econoline. It sticks out in my mind because it was the first 3V Triton I'd ever driven and I remember thinking how much an improvement in power there was over the old design.

It was a 2007 IIRC, larger one that seated 8-10+ passengers
He’s correct the 3v series never went into E series. Neither did the 6.2 gasser or the 6.4 diesel. The E series continued using the 6.8 2v V10 and 6.0 diesel until it was discontinued. After it’s rerelease I’m not sure of engine availability.

Without question, the best big V6 is the VQ37VHR. And I'm partial to inline 6'er's from BMW.
This thing was built out as far as it could've been from the factory; 328hp/269tq/revs for days/amazingly robust/responds very well to bolt-on mods.

It's an engine that embarrassed the LS1 and I'm sad that they don't make them like this anymore.
It’s funny because I think the VQ37 was the worst iteration of that engine in some ways. It was kind of harsh and coarse at the top of its range IMO, like it seemed happier at smaller displacements. I owned a G35 coupe with VQ35DE and thought it was smoother than the 370Zs I drove. However, neither hold a candle to the BMW S54 or Porsche M97 in terms of actual feel and performance, but those aren’t Vees and aren’t in the same price bracket. Still, miles ahead of the other crap most manufacturers were selling at the time.

Back