Greatest/worst 3.5/3.6 24-valve V6 of the late 2000s?

"The Nissan 3.5-liter VQ V6 engine has been named to the annual "Ward's Ten Best Engines" list for the 10th straight year by Ward's Communications, Inc. It is the only engine that has been part of the list every year the award has been presented."

2004 article - https://www.autoserviceworld.com/carsmagazine/nissan-s-vq-awarded-best-engine-for-tenth-year/
yup. When people ask about my '04 Maxima I had, I tell them, "absolutely fantastic powertrain, **** everything else." Kinda like Cummins engines in Dodge/Ram trucks. :D:geek::alien:

yup. When people ask about my '04 Maxima I had, I tell them, "absolutely fantastic powertrain, **** everything else." Kinda like Cummins engines in Dodge/Ram trucks. :D:geek::alien:
I had the 1998 VQ30DE. The engine was too much for the chassis, hey I was young lol I took her up to 137 mph as it was a 5-spd SE. Just junked the car this year, owned it for what 25 years? And it started with a jump pack after sitting for more than 2 years. Funny thing is I was listening to the Bose stereo and thought dang this sounds better than the 3 cars that are still on the road :ROFLMAO:

Yes, it was replaced by the Pentastar, it itself replaced the prior 3.3.

If you still see an Intrepid, 2000-ish 300M or Concorde still on the road you can be confident a 3.5 is moving it.
The 3.5L didn't really replace the 3.3L. It was originally designed as a high output engine for the LH cars in the mid(?) - late 90's, then soldiered on through the late 2000's in Chargers, 300's, pretty much the whole lineup that needed a high performance engine before the Pentastar debuted. The 3.3L and 3.8L twins stayed in production for minivans, things that needed V6 torque, but not necessarily the top end that the 3.5L had.

Eventually the 3.5L got an upsize to 4.0L as a stopgap until the Pentastar VVT came onboard, so Chrysler could match HP/TQ with other manufacturers that had already introduced VVT engines that could make awesome power in a smaller (3.0-3.5L engine).

I had the 1998 VQ30DE. The engine was too much for the chassis, hey I was young lol I took her up to 137 mph as it was a 5-spd SE. Just junked the car this year, owned it for what 25 years? And it started with a jump pack after sitting for more than 2 years. Funny thing is I was listening to the Bose stereo and thought dang this sounds better than the 3 cars that are still on the road :ROFLMAO:
My '96 Maxima w/ Bose system is the only car I've ever had where I didn't have any desire to swap out speakers, factory amps, etc. I added a subwoofer and replaced the head unit, and the system sounds awesome to this day.

My 2018 Regal with Bose audio system was a huge downgrade in output/treble/fidelity compared to the '96 Maxima. The Maxima is about to be handed down to teenager duty, I will miss that audio system.

My '96 Maxima w/ Bose system is the only car I've ever had where I didn't have any desire to swap out speakers, factory amps, etc. I added a subwoofer and replaced the head unit, and the system sounds awesome to this day.

My 2018 Regal with Bose audio system was a huge downgrade in output/treble/fidelity compared to the '96 Maxima. The Maxima is about to be handed down to teenager duty, I will miss that audio system.
The demise of mine was emissions, and I hate to say it rust. Maybe I didn't care for it as I should have, or, I got duped by the dealer (it may have had body work as a new car). But oh the trips I took in that thing 1998-2002. $0.76/gal regular (I ran it on regular all 25 years) and those nights in Montreal, like something out of a Yacht Rock tune! :ROFLMAO:

The demise of mine was emissions, and I hate to say it rust. Maybe I didn't care for it as I should have, or, I got duped by the dealer (it may have had body work as a new car). But oh the trips I took in that thing 1998-2002. $0.76/gal regular (I ran it on regular all 25 years) and those nights in Montreal, like something out of a Yacht Rock tune! :ROFLMAO:
My 2008 Xterra - not anywhere near as old - is still pristine with 378,000 miles on it. However it has never seen salt. From the Nissan boards it seems Nissan's in general don't do salt very well.

I thought these had a bunch of problems? Why I haven't bought a Wrangler - although I would like one.
This is one of several threads - but the bottom line is by the time the Wrangler JL came out - lots of the DOHC stuff was sorted …
Think Jiffy Lube can still break the filter housings 😜

I thought these had a bunch of problems? Why I haven't bought a Wrangler - although I would like one.
There were about 14 million Pentastars made, so even a tiny percentage having a problem would mean every shop in the country would see it at some point. They have a rep in the industry as one of the lowest warranty cost (to the manufacturer) engines (not just V6's) during its lifespan. It's been on Wards 10 best list something like 7 times. I see them all the time in Jeep clubs with north of 200k miles on them. Mine has been a real sweetheart. It is really the perfect match with my Jeep and its manual transmission and 4.56 axle/35" tire combo. I just love it.

I had a GM DI 3.6 in a Buick Enclave and it never had an issue while moving that SUV around just fine. I liked it. But didn't have it long enough to really test it.

The V6 in my brother's Palacade (sp?) seems really smooth and quiet. Nice engine.

It's not a 24v, but the old 3.8 in my 2008 Jeep is a pretty bulletproof mill. It runs like new after 182k hard miles. I'm confident I'll push this motor past 300k in that Jeep one day, God willing. It's a real blue collar engine that shows up for work every day. Nothing glamorous, but it gets the job done, every time, with no fuss.

Not sure on the LFX, the one I have driven was stuffed into a Mazda RX-8 and tuned to run E85 exclusively.

Granted it’s a sample size of 3 and one I only owned for about 30k miles (not a fault of the car, we moved to an area that saw WAY more snow and RWD life wasn’t very conducive to that), but we haven’t had any issues even if I went 30k miles on an oil change in our Grand Caravan 😅 My parents 2013 200 with the 3.6 has been rock solid but your experience may vary.

I really really like the 3.7L in my 2012 F-150 Ford.

Never used a drop of oil in almost 120000 miles. 302 hp. Excellent gas mileage considering it’s hp. Smooth. Quiet. Easily the strongest point on the vehicle.

A way underrated engine.

Without question, the best big V6 is the VQ37VHR. And I'm partial to inline 6'er's from BMW.
This thing was built out as far as it could've been from the factory; 328hp/269tq/revs for days/amazingly robust/responds very well to bolt-on mods.

It's an engine that embarrassed the LS1 and I'm sad that they don't make them like this anymore.

Last edited:
A J-series without VCM. The J35A8 in my TL didn't have VCM and that was 2008.

The same basic design is in my 03 Accord and is edging ever closer to 300K and still runs as good as new, although it does use maybe a quart of oil over the 7500-mile OCI.
What is VCM? Does my 2013 Accord have that?

I had a 1998 SE automatic, would have been happier with the 5-speed for sure. Great motor, not insane power but my automatic was right at 3000 pounds, lighter than a modern compact.

Didn't Toyota have a 3.5 liter in this era? Are they problematic for some reason, or why is nobody mentioning them?

Widespread adoption of chain driven cams happened with the appearance of cam phasers for VVT. There were plenty of V6 engines mid to late '00's whose cams were belt driven-- Chrysler 3.5/4.0, J35, Kia/Hyundai, Mitsubishi, many engines that didn't have VVT in that era were using belts (other than a select few, namely the legacy pushrod engines from GM/Ford, Chrysler 3.7L, I'm sure there's others).
Do you think there is a relationship between the use of cam phasers and timing chain vs. belt, or just coincidence?

I think the Nissan VQ came out with timing chains in 1994 or 1995?

Nissan 3.3 was a wonderful engine. It was just well-refined, didn’t get ahead of itself, and soldiered on. But, the manifolds and plumbing all around it was awful.

I really had solid respect for the chrylser V6s at the time. The pushrod 3.3 was smooth and powerful. It could loaf along or you could drive it hard, and it seemed equally at home doing both.

a different design, but the Chrysler 3.5 with the dual intakes was a fun engine. The 3.3/3.8 saw van duties but the 3.5 was found in the LHS and new yorker types. It had some snarl to it; we had one in the family that received minimal care and hard driving and I’m pretty sure it outlasted the vehicle, which was at least 100k miles after someone ran it dry and it seized on i-40 somewhere near knoxville, TN. They added 4.5 qts of oil and it came back to life.

honda had a longitudinal v6 in their early legends. I never got my hands on one, but I really wanted one, bad.

I didn’t have great feelings for the Chrysler 3.7 found in the rams and grand cherokees. As an owner, I wanted to like it. Mine had some fuel rail issues, but what got me is that if you were doing “truck duty,” like towing a 5x8 trailer at 65, once it got good and hot, all sorts of new noises started happening - valve racket and piston slap, all early in life, but it wasn’t the “ok” kind of piston slap sound, it was a little deeper. Weird electronics ghosts plagued mine too.

we had a couple of the Honda v6s - an mdx and an odyssey. Bottom end seemed solid. Both started consuming oil. They seemed performance-oriented. But both also seemed a little delicate to me, and the mdx variant had the EGR issues associated with that incredible intake manifold.

a friend of mine had a 5 speed manual Lincoln LS. Fords v6 was in that one, I think a 3.7? THAT was a wonderful combination in that car…. Highly underrated… I would have gladly owned that one.
The VG 3.3? UGH. I owned one in a Pathfinder and it was SLOW, NOISY and thirsty to boot! Don't think I ever saw 20 even on the highway and we're talking Texas here. Thankfully gas was cheap in the late 90s, cost me about $15-17 to fill it up with prices below $1 per gallon, those were the days. The one saving grace of that vehicle was that it was great offroad.

The Chrysler 3.3s were reliable but they were also slow and thirsty. Rented a few of them and climbing mountains with 5-7 people on board was tedious.

Knock on wood we own that one and it's 12 years old. Never thought that guy was too good at what he does. His vlogs often began with whining and justifying why he charges so much. To each his own. Not everyone can be a ChrisFix and actually want to help others. Then again not everyone will reach 9.5 mil subs either. One thing I remember even ChrisFix didn't know (too young) was what the W stands for in 10W30
"Car Wizard" is a whiny . Can't stand him. Not one of my subsciptions and I subscribe to quite a few car channels on the youtubes.

Back