GREASES .. what is Fiber length

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
I have 5 product data sheets for 3% moly greases from 5 different grease manufacturers that state "for use on heavily loaded sliding surfaces only. Do not use this moly additized grease in non-friction type bearings as the moly will cause premature bearing failures" or some variation of those words...
And from my previous post, I can attest from my personal experience, same. I have seen more than I care to of "frosted mug" bearing surfaces, again, from in applications where moly additized grease had been used. Moly is harder than the bearing and race surfaces of non-friction bearings. As the bearing rolls, the moly is roled over by the softer bearing surface, causing the bearing surface roughness, erosion. Since this seems to be an industry accepted standard, what makes the Schaeffer moly additized different? Is it "softer" Moly?? More info, please.........
George

George,

If you would please supply a direct link or copy to these greases that state "for use on heavily loaded sliding surfaces only".

Interesting enough, Since I do respect your opinion, I felt I better do some checking before going further.

I called our head chief chemist/CLS,Larry Ludwig to get his prospective on this.

In short, he states "that is not correct. He feels your client might have had problems with those u joints due to poor lubrication pratices, not cleaning the gun or fitting prior to greasing each fitting, had blown seals and so forth."

Moly is harder than the bearing and race surfaces of non-friction bearings. As the bearing rolls, the moly is roled over by the softer bearing surface, causing the bearing surface roughness, erosion

This is incorrect. The interesting thing about moly is that not many oil companies have look at using moly in the automotive industry (including mobil) until recently. There is a lot of mis understanding on just how moly actually works and how it affects the asperities on metal surfaces. Moly does not erode a surface but in reality fills in the surfaces, and this provides a smoother plain. Kinda like heat sink compound is on the computer proc your using. Metal surfaces do not look jagged but under a scope, the smooth metal surface actually has asperities or peaks and valleys.

You might want to look at this as I try to explain to the best of my knowledge about moly.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/moly1.html

I think this should give you a better general understanding on moly as I know of it.

Also,Since it was at a coal mine, coal dust would have been introduced on top of the fact most likely they were using a lithium complex grease that would absorb water into the mix.

Coal dust will cause erosion and wear as it is like some graphites and can polish the metal surfaces.

Another point that many fail to understand is that moly will wear off. It is not permanent but sacrifial and will go away. Given this, If a company or employee fails to lubricate with a lithium based grease, because lithium if exposed to standard moisture rain and such, that it being a soap, will emulsify, and wash out, therfore so will the suspended moly, leaving what ever moly is plated for a short time before being completly worn away, thereby losing any lubrication it had on it.

BTW, I have a big asphalt plant down here that has been using our 238 #2 grease for over 2 1/2+yrs now and it has not seen a bearing failure. The interesting part of this is that they started out using 6cases of-30 tube grease every 2 months. second 2 months same, 3d 2 months they were sitting there with 2 cases not even opened yet. They now only oder once a year as their plant doesnt' use near as much grease and they don't waste near as much time having to grease as frequently. The asphault is also abrasive as well but if proper lubrication practices are in place with the right kind of complex for the enviroment, with a good moly barrier additive, it should not give you any problems. Needless to say, they have been approached by many especially ones with the hammer spatter test, and as of yet, they will not change due to the bottom line savings they have.

[ September 10, 2002, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob, I really appreciate your clearing up the question of using moly grease (aluminum complex) as a bearing lubricant. I have over 189,000 miles on my bearings, lubricated by moly grease. The only reason I was ever concerned was the post you responded to. I recently cleaned and repacked my bearings with Schaeffer's # 238 and they still look great. Please pass along our regards to the chemist/CLS you have access to. And, again, thanks.
krholm.

One PDS that is accesible on the Mobil site is the Moly 50, 51, 52 which specifically states "not for use in universal joints". This is not the grease that gave me my problems but obviously they are anticipating my problem that I shared with Universals; that grease was a 3% Moly Lubriplate grease of which the number escapes me right now; am at home and do not have my resources with me. However, it is the only 3% moly grease lubriplate makes and its PDS also states "for heavily loaded sliding surfaces only: not for use in non friction bearings". Another grease is Mobilgrease 29, which PDS also stated "for heavily loaded sliding surfaces only: not for use in non-friction type bearings". So, I am not be the only person "mistaken"
I cannot tell you how many "frosted mug" bearings I have looked at through the years and in nearly every case a moly grease had been used in the bearing. I will be back tomorrow with a bunch more PDS for different grease companies with the same Moly caveat..
Please note, I am not trying to be difficult with this: I am sharing real world (bad) experience and am just trying to get to the bottom of the moly paradox, for me...
George

George, I understand the confusion.

I have heard a bearing manufacture say not to use moly but with no reason other than we have a "special grease" that you should use answer. Also, many general greases are designed as a general purpose grease and not EP.

I think one thing you might look at, although I don't see how this would change anything other than the water issue, is the complex breakdown due to the water intrusion, and based on all the Mobils greases I have seen used primarly in standard applications, most sell the lithium complex with the moly. I know they have other complex's but with moly?

Look and see if there isn't a connection on the failed ones with the lithium complex. From what you have shared so far, this appears to be from the lack of lubrication.

Another point, wheel bearings are also roller type bearings and they too act the same way as for wedge affect and rolling in a lubrication. Difference is the drive line is exposed more to mud and water, also is slinging much faster, so if water intrusion was involved as it is in alot of u joints, then it would weaken the complex and sling it out therefore creating a lack of lubrication. Again, not due to the moly.

Regarding the Moly additized greases. The ones I have had direct experience with (and NF bearing failures with!) are using just about every thickener known to man, including Lithium 12 hydroxystearate (Lubriplate 3000), Mobilgrease 29 (clay), Century Moreplex (3% Lithium Complex). Mobil Moly 52 (Lithium Complex), LTI perfluorinated (shortened spelling), etc. and conditions varying from horrible to great. The coal mine universal joint failures were for units doing advance and reclaim work and were never really around coal dust. Additionally, the units had no history of U-joint failures prior my switching them to moly additized grease. Failures occurred only with the moly grease. Switched back to non-moly and 5 years later, still no U-joint failures. They occurred *very* quickly after the switch and greasing procedures were the same before, during and after.. The only change, the only correlation, was the switch to a moly: the follow on grease was exactly the same make-up but without the moly addiization.. The lubriplate 3000 is a 3% grease..

This is/has been my quandry for a number of years. In each of the above cases the greases are described in their individual product data sheets "for use in heavily loaded sliding surfaces" or for "heavily loaded plain bearing use experiencing shock loading" along with an associated "not for use in NF or universal joint application"...

Thus I am not the only "mistaken" person. Grease manufacturingl companies large and small have these notes regarding moly grease application on their PDS for a reason.. I don't know what the differences are, honestly, but there seems to be moly that simply destroys NF type bearings and apparently Schaeffer's which does not only not harm NF type bearings but extends life..

And my moly/NF bearing failures go beyond just my universal joint disaster.. (That was Lubriplate 3000, by the way) I have had many "frosted beer mug" NF bearings on their way to failure and when pursued, black grease (moly additized) was the culprit. Switched to non-moly and bearing failures went away...

I am pursuing this only for my knowledge and not trying to be negative. It just seems that I am not the only one having the NF bearing problem as some manufacturer's indicate the problem seems to be universal... Except for Schaeffer's, that is... Which makes it difficult to understand.....
George Morrison

Bob, I'm holding in my hand the tube of Schaeffer # 238 Moly Supreme Synthetic Blend EP Grease with which I most recently lubricated the wheel bearings on my truck. On the back side of the tube the following is clearly printed, "It is recommended for the lubrication of antifriction bearings...." In the next paragraph it states, "...it is completely waterproof and won't wash out of bearings." Unless you let me know something else I'm going to leave it in there, trusting you will advise me if there comes any need for such. Again, thank you for such a fine forum where we can learn so much. There are some great contributors on this board. krholm

KrHolm, You're doing fine and thanks for the comments abou the board.

George, quick question,... When was the last time since you have seen this moly frosted mug problem actually occur., reason I ask is you mentioned . i.e. Moly additized for the plain bearings and non moly for the non friction bearings. Problem gone.. That was 10 years ago.... I still have the failed U joints in our warehouse as a reminder.... 10years, technology has changed quite a bit, including moly additization. Use to be moly in oil would seperate no it is suspended as the other additives. I know that a lot of myths about moly from a long time ago still lingers around as being a problem when in fact it no longer exists. Could it be that your experiences and those of others moved you away from this and since never went back for maybe reasons such as they still use the old technology or they don't want to take the chance of what it might do so like many companies do not cross the line and play it safe?

I'm just looking for the possibilties here and if you say it's been recent then we need to look at other things.

I contacted my asphault company today(need to reorder their stock) and since you brought this up figured best to check on them again and get an update. In the conversation I had asked them specificly about any problems with u joints or nf bearings, his reply, no bearing failure since we have been using your grease.

So, obviously, there is something different from your situations and mine.

bob

The last "frosted mug" bearing was 2 months ago on a complete changeover. It was on a series of pillow block bearings; additionally the company had numerous electric motor bearing failures. I did not see the EM bearings but did see the pillow blocks and it was clear "frosted mug" and the grease (not Schaeffer) was a 3% brand X moly. I have not revisited the recommendation as 6 inches of scar tissue is quite enough for me.
I did discuss the issue today with 3 grease gurus today and they all stated "moly additized grease is not for use in NF bearings, period".... Non friction bearings, great..

So, it seems that Schaeffer's has tapped a secret moly source that somehow works in opposition to all the moly's available to everyone else...???
George Morrison

George,

I honestly don't know what to tell you. I have been using Schaeffers myself personally over 7-8yrs now. I have other connections with reps all over the country, many clients, and I have never seen or heard of a case where moly has caused any kind of problems with the bearings.

I suppose that's why the grease is one of Schaeffers lead products as it works extremely well. Another point is Schaeffers has one of just a few handful of Master Grease Blenders in the U.S. and has been personally involved for over 40yrs so I suspect there has to be something said for experience and since Schaeffers has been in business since the 1830's(160+ yrs), they've had some time to really get this stuff figured out.

-

Bob, In reference to GeorgeCLS's last post I have a question. What is the difference in NF bearings and Non Friction bearings, if any? Also, is anti-friction Bearings the same? Thank you, krholm.

I apologize for my use of NF, etc.. All of these are the same: NF is non-friction is anti-friction, as in roller bearing, ball bearing, needle bearing, etc. As opposed to a "friction" (which they are not but..) plain type bearings (non-roller)..
George

Georgeseq,

Amsoil makes their synthetic (lithium complex) grease with and without moly ...they specifically recommend using their multipurpose grease that does NOT contain moly for high temp/high speed bearing applications. Their HD moly grease is recommended for high load, low speed, low temp applications where you need a solid film EP additive like moly ....

Ted

This is good. Let me add a couple of experiences: Parker Drilling has a worldwide prohibition agaist Moly greases. Caterpillar requires them. Here is Chevron's statement on one of their's: "Chevron Moly Greases EP are recommended for use in automotive and industrial equipment where a moly type grease is called for. Typical applications in automotive equipment are: chassis, bearings, universal joints, fifth wheels, and ball joints in construction equipment such as bulldozers, scrapers, loaders, shovels, etc. Chevron Moly Greases EP are recommended for use in roller chains, trunions, gears, cables, sheaves, slides, and chassis bearings. In industrial applications, these greases are recommended for the lubrication of conveyor bearings, sliding and rubbing surfaces, kiln car bearings, etc. They are particularly suited for heavily loaded pivot pins, splined shafts, or other surfaces subjected to sliding, vibration, or oscillation where fretting is encountered." maybe their caveat is "where moly greases are called for".
Texaco says: "Texaco Molytex EP greases are recommended as multipurpose products for the lubrication of both over-the-road and off-highway trucks, tractors, and heavy duty equipment.

They give excellent performance in all automotive equipment in severe service.

They provide top protection to fifth wheels, king pins, wheel bearings, steering system bearings, and all chassis points including ball joints and universal joints.

They also perform well in most heavy duty industrial applications for general lubrication and for the lubrication of journal bearings, and low and moderate speed antifriction bearings."

Personally, I use a Moly/graphite/bentonite grease in my service station for all U-joints, chasis, wheel bearings, etc. After hearing this same argument I switched to a Lithium 12 complex without moly. Due to popular request I am back to the Moly/graphite/bentonite product.
When I have previously tried to understand this I have gotten two explications:
1. The difference between bisulfide and disulfide.
2. It can separate if the grease is not run through the homogenizer. I understand the operation of homogenizers, but not how they affect moly.
I think one of the tricks is rpm. low speed, excellent, high speed, problem. I have people using this grease in all of their agricultural equipment except "sealed" bearings on harvesters and planters where we use Lithium complex or Chevron Black Pearl.

Thursday and Friday I queried 3 other sales engineers, all of which have extensive grease background including formulation, etc. I posed the question "would you use a moly grease in a non friction bearing or universal joint?" The response was a simple "no".
This, again, is my quandry..
I personally have seen bearings failed due to moly additized grease being used in non friction bearings. I have seen the same bearings live many thousands of hours after switching to a non-moly grease. Same conditions, same greaser, etc.
The Schaeffer success flies in the face of what every lube engineer I know of has experienced in the last 15 years with respect to the use of a moly addized grease in non friction bearing applications..
I have customers that use 50,000 pounds a year of non moly and 50,000 pounds of 5% moly grease each very successfully in their specific non friction and shock loaded plain bearing applications..
It is most interesting and I do not have the answer but wish I did! It would seem that either Schaeffer's moly (or is it indeed moly??) formulation is different from every other grease manufacturer's formulation.
Continued...

Is it indeed moly??

Yes it is...here is the tech data on this...
Moly Ultra 800 EP is a versatile, multi-purpose extreme pressure grease that is specially formulated for use in all types of heavy duty equipment. Moly Ultra 800 EP protects equipment even under the most adverse conditions automotive, construction, mining, farming and industrial equipment of excessive pressure, heat, cold, moisture, and high and low speeds.

Moly Ultra 800 EP is compounded from the finest select high viscosity index solvent refined severely hydrofinished 100% pure paraffin base oils available. Blended into these 100% pure paraffin base oils is an aluminum complex base thickener and selected additives. This formulation provides Moly Ultra 800 EP with the following outstanding performance features.

1. Excellent pumpability characteristics for use in centralized lube systems.
2. Excellent resistance to water washout and water spray off.
3. Excellent shear and mechanical stability.
4. Excellent antiwear and extreme pressure load carrying properties.
5. Excellent reversibility. This property allows Moly Ultra 800 EP to have the ability to retain its grease-like consistency and remain in the bearings during periods of heat, high shock loading, extreme pressure, and severe mechanical action.
6. Excellent rust and oxidation inhibiting characteristics.
7. Excellent resistance to oxidation.
8. A high dropping point.

Incorporated into this blend of high viscosity index paraffin base stocks, aluminum complex thickener and selected additives is molybdenum disulfide. The molybdenum disulfide gives Moly Ultra 800 EP the ability to act as a "back-stop" lubricant when the grease base is either destroyed or wiped away due to unexpected loads, start-up or other conditions which exceed the capabilities of the grease base's fluid film lubrication. This "backstop" is created by molybdenum disulfide's natural affinity for metal surfaces. The molybdenum disulfide plates to the metal surface to form a long lasting solid lubricant film. This solid lubricant film will withstand pressures up to 500,000 pounds per square inch, giving the metal surfaces of the bearings the protection they need during periods of high speed, high shock loads and extreme pressure.

The moly's solid lubricant film also helps to reduce friction. The reduction in friction results in reduced wear and reduction in contact area temperature. This in turn leads to increased equipment life, less downtime and extended lubrication cycles.

Moly Ultra 800 EP also has excellent adhesive properties. Because of these excellent adhesive properties, Moly Ultra 800 EP will not wash out, pound out, splatter or squeeze out under the heaviest load or vibrations.

Moly Ultra 800 EP can be applied either manually or by a heavy duty automatic lube system. Moly Ultra 800 EP #00 has an operating temperature of -40ºF to 350ºF. Moly Ultra 800 EP #0 has an operating temperature of -20º to 350ºF. Moly Ultra 800 EP #1 has an operating temperature of -10ºF to 350ºF. Moly Ultra EP #2 has an operating temperature of 0ºF to 350ºF.

Do me a favor, give me a copy of your td specs(or web address ) on the moly grease that has shown you the problems you describe. thanks,
bob

BOBISTHEOILGUY, AFTER READING ALL THIS INFORMATION ON GREASE I SEE YOU RECOMENDED SCHAEFFERS 221 FOR ME. MAYBE I SHOULD GIVE YOU MORE INFORMATION ON MY APPLICATIONS. GENERAL CAR WHEEL BEARINGS WITH DISC BRAKES OPERATED IN TEMPERATURES BETWEEN 50-90 DEGREES F. AND BALL JOINTS, U-JOINTS, AND OTHER SUSPENSION COMPONETS OPERATED IN THE SAME 50-90 DEGREE F RANGE. ALSO THERE WOULD BE SOME MINOR HIGH SPEED DRIVING FOR THE WHEEL BEARINGS. WHAT I REALLY WANT TO KNOW IF IT WOULD BE BETTER TO HAVE TWO GREASES ONE FOR THE BEARINGS AND ONE FOR THE SUSPENSION COMPONETS. I JUST CLEANED OUT MY GREASE GUNS AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INPUT YOU MIGHT HAVE. THANKS, MIKEYOILNUTT

Bob, one grease in particular, the Lubriplate 3000 does not have a detailed PDS on their web site. I have an old PDS for it which states "for use in heavily loaded or shock loaded plain bearings only" followed by a "not for use in anti-friction type bearings" Same is true for the Mobil 52 grease which states "not for use in universal joints"....
Am doing more checking, more resourcing and will get back with more..
Thank you...
George

Ok George,

I don't care about what they are saying so much as I want to look at the technical data specs portion.

BTW, went to one of my sod/potatoe farmers today, they have some nf bearings that roll in the back of their tractors right in the dirt, said his bearings are lasting 3 times longer than before. with all the fertilizer acids, dirt and water, not really a bad return for under 3.00 a tube. Bad thing is, he ordered last feb and still has enough to go through to next feb. I can't really make a living on that product as it starts out selling good then sales to that customer for grease dramaticly slows down as time goes on. Good for them
smile.gif
, bad for me
frown.gif

After reading this subject for a while I posted on Sept. 12 that my tube of Schaeffer's 238 Moly Supreme Synthetic Blend states it is recommended, "...for the lubrication of antifriction bearings". I have another moly grease (MoS2) from Pacific Lubricants of Chino, CA and on its label it includes it is to be used in "...automotive,... Use wherever grease is called for. Mandatory of all CV joints". Again, I've been lubing the original wheel bearings on my small pickup truck for well over 189k miles with Moly and they were just fine when I recently began using the Schaeffer product. I would presume that if a blender of moly grease knows his product won't work well in antifriction bearings I simply should not use it. At the same time, if a blender of moly grease knows his product works well in antifriction bearings I will go with that product. Right now I prefer and use Schaeffer. If it works as well as the Pacific Lubricants moly grease product (and I know it will work even better) I am in for good service for a long time yet. This is an interesting subject and I hope the knowledgeable posters will continue working this one. krholm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back