Grass fed vs grain finished beef

We buy our beef from the Amish. Grass fed, free range lived, etc. Just the way an animal is supposed to have lived.

There is absolutely no marbling. The meat is delicious. The outer layer of fat has an extremely strong taste, like lamb.

Commercially sold meats don't compare to it.
I love that flavor of the fat.

Cows outside of US eat grass instead of corn all the time, but obviously won't taste the same or have the same price. I do like grass fed beef's flavor better as they have a more "meat" like flavor that isn't too greasy. Certain cuisine I would prefer grass fed but I also enjoy corn fed steak, so depends on what you use them for I guess.

Tough cut is not a problem in stewing. I've had Wagyu on a business trip once, my vendor tried to fish inside info from us and I think the beef we grilled were A5 Wagyu. It has a very good texture like spam despite being a slice of beef, but it doesn't have that braised beef flavor you find in a good bowl of noodle soup, if you know what I am talking about. Most corn fed beef doesn't have that flavor either, but grass fed does. The most intense beef flavor I've had was from a beef noodle soup place that uses retired farm ox, too old to farm and have been working all his life. Man that's a good bowl of beef noodle. Another one was the brisket / skirt steak of a young neutered ox, never frozen, simmered in a clear broth with minimal spices (I think cardamon pod and star anise only) for 3 hours then sliced. That's also heaven. I wouldn't use these beef for grilling though, only stew and soup.

Reactions: Pew
I guess cuts vary from place to place - ate at a nice restaurant last night and ordered strip loin - got some little ball - not even that tender - had better steaks at a Saltgrass back home …
went there hoping they had a good fish - all out.

So you think you can make up for the bad fats you eat by eating more healthy fats? A convenient hypothesis but that's not how it works. If your health is your priority, and it may well not be, you should avoid bad fats. The point is not more fatty acids, it's the ratio of the various fatty acids and you don't get the good ratio with grain-fed beef. I eat fatty fish at least four times a week. How many more fish meal pictures must I post? I limit beef consumption to small quantities and no more than twice a week, and I eat nothing but grass-fed with rare exceptions. My dad, a cardiac surgeon, has always said he could tell the red meat eaters when he cut their hearts open. He made a lot of money doing atherectomies (roto-rooting blood vessel walls to clean out plaque). I grew up learning about nutrition and as a fitness nut, I have always kept up with the current information. The linked article from the Iowa Farm Bureau is so superficial it's not worth reading because of its origin alone. Medical and nutritional professional literature and date are available.

For example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8728510/
Just scroll down to the conclusion, I don't want your head to explode.

I said preferences varied. Just be aware of the tradeoff. Nothing wrong with grass-fed ribeye. In my opinion, it should be a rare treat. I don't intend to be crippled by premature aging and all kinds of deleterious ailments that are mostly preventable by making good choices. So far it's worked for me.

You started this thread, which invites controversy, stating you prefer grain-finished. That's your choice and it's not the worst. No problem. Other people's health, or lack thereof, is none of my concern.

While I agree with you when it comes to grass vs grain fed beef, there is a lot of research that suggests fats from meat/bacon/nuts and seeds/butter are very healthy and are not the cause of heart disease. This research shows plaque and disease forming from inflammation which comes from a diet of extremely high amounts of sugar.

One only needs to plot the rise of sugar in our diet over a graph showing the rise of heart disease to see how strong that link is.

Many of us have switched to low/no carb diets and our bloodwork comes back with better/excellent results. Some famously only eat beef/steaks, like the Peterson's. If you can believe their testimony then I'd suggest doing some additional research.

I know that personally speaking I can't handle any sugar in my diet, and carbs have to be minimized. I do have strong gut issues, but as I said there is very strong research into this now and I think we need to be open to the idea that mainstream medicine is wrong (or lacking) when it comes to diet/nutrition and disease/cancer.

The most intense beef flavor I've had was from a beef noodle soup place that uses retired farm ox, too old to farm and have been working all his life. Man that's a good bowl of beef noodle. Another one was the brisket / skirt steak of a young neutered ox, never frozen, simmered in a clear broth with minimal spices (I think cardamon pod and star anise only) for 3 hours then sliced. That's also heaven. I wouldn't use these beef for grilling though, only stew and soup.

I use ox tails for pho. It definitely gives a big rich meaty flavor but they're expensive!

While I agree with you when it comes to grass vs grain fed beef, there is a lot of research that suggests fats from meat/bacon/nuts and seeds/butter are very healthy and are not the cause of heart disease.
And where did I say animal fat was the cause of heart disease? They can be a contributing factor to the development of heart disease and cancer.

This research shows plaque and disease forming from inflammation which comes from a diet of extremely high amounts of sugar.
Sure

One only needs to plot the rise of sugar in our diet over a graph showing the rise of heart disease to see how strong that link is.
I agree with that but you could also argue that obesity became rampant with people smoking less and less.

Many of us have switched to low/no carb diets and our bloodwork comes back with better/excellent results.
The nation is fatter than ever. Pretty much anyone over 50 shows signs of atherosclerosis.

Some famously only eat beef/steaks, like the Peterson's. If you can believe their testimony then I'd suggest doing some additional research.
I'd suggest the same to you.

I know that personally speaking I can't handle any sugar in my diet, and carbs have to be minimized. I do have strong gut issues, but as I said there is very strong research into this now and I think we need to be open to the idea that mainstream medicine is wrong (or lacking) when it comes to diet/nutrition and disease/cancer.
What we know always changes and while it may be frustrating it's the way of progress.

As for diets based on mostly animal protein and fat, just the fact that it stimulates the mTor pathway so much nore than a balanced diet does is a warning sign as mTor encourages growth, including the proliferation of abnormal cells and discourages autophagy. What we eat, how much we eat, and when we eat matters.

Most people compound their health issues by eating

too many calories
too many carbs and fat
too frequently
low quality foods
severely processed foods
preserved foods
contaminated foods

Throwing all your efforts into one nutritional change is in my opinion not optimal. While I applaud those who cut carbs, this approach is far from all you can or should do. It's just a good start.

Last edited:
Grass-fed is mainly healthier because of the superior fatty acid composition of the grass-fed variant. The same thing goes for butter, milk, cheese, any dairy.

As far as taste goes, I suppose it depends on your preference and what you are used to. Grain-fed beef is more tender but has less taste. Grass-fed beef has more flavor but it is less tender.

Grain-finished means the bovine fed on grass for most of its life and toward the end was fed grains. This is healthier than just grain-fed but not as healthy as grass-fed. Grass-finished is probably not much healthier than grain-fed.

Bovines are not meant to eat grains. They are herbivores that are supposed to graze on mostly grass. I can't advise eating unhealthy livestock. You are what you eat.
Yes, the difference in meat is pretty obvious, and same for dairy, and eggs as well. New Zealand's north island has pretty ideal conditions for almost year round grazing for dairy and beef, and we could definitely taste the difference in just their normal milk. Its interesting in that article that there is 5 times as much Omega-3's in grassfed beef than feedlot, and while that particular fat can be found in much greater quantities in fish, I suspect there are more micronutrients and other "good stuff" in a grassfed beef, than feedlot cattle that have to be fed lots of antibiotics and supplements to keep them gaining weight on whatever they get fed.

We raise a half dozen goats and too many dozen chickens, who have access to fresh grass for 7-8 months of the year and its pretty striking how the eggs change in color and flavor as the chickens are forced to eat grains only in the winter, as given the choice most of them get a large portion of their diet from the lawn and woods.

Yes, the difference in meat is pretty obvious, and same for dairy, and eggs as well. New Zealand's north island has pretty ideal conditions for almost year round grazing for dairy and beef, and we could definitely taste the difference in just their normal milk. Its interesting in that article that there is 5 times as much Omega-3's in grassfed beef than feedlot, and while that particular fat can be found in much greater quantities in fish, I suspect there are more micronutrients and other "good stuff" in a grassfed beef, than feedlot cattle that have to be fed lots of antibiotics and supplements to keep them gaining weight on whatever they get fed.

We raise a half dozen goats and too many dozen chickens, who have access to fresh grass for 7-8 months of the year and its pretty striking how the eggs change in color and flavor as the chickens are forced to eat grains only in the winter, as given the choice most of them get a large portion of their diet from the lawn and woods.
This mirrors my experience. One should also consider that many toxins and chemicals accumulate in body fat - in the body fat of your food and your own body. That's another reason to opt for the best quality meat and dairy from freely roaming grazers and foragers. My neighbor's chicken eggs are amazing. The chickens are out there all day pecking at bugs, seeds, and other plant matter.

Last edited:
And where did I say animal fat was the cause of heart disease? They can be a contributing factor to the development of heart disease and cancer.

Sure

I agree with that but you could also argue that obesity became rampant with people smoking less and less.

The nation is fatter than ever. Pretty much anyone over 50 shows signs of atherosclerosis.

What we know always changes and while it may be frustrating it's the way of progress.

As for diets based on mostly animal protein and fat, just the fact that it stimulates the mTor pathway so much nore than a balanced diet does is a warning sign as mTor encourages growth, including the proliferation of abnormal cells and discourages autophagy. What we eat, how much we eat, and when we eat matters.

too many calories
too many carbs and fat
too frequently
low quality foods
severely processed foods
preserved foods
contaminated foods

Throwing all your efforts into one nutritional change is in my opinion not optimal. While I applaud those who cut carbs, this approach is far from all you can or should do. It's just a good start.

You're attempting to throw the kitchen sink into this argument. I was arguing the point you made about your father being a medical doc and the "link" he claims between heart disease and "bad fats". That has been disproved many times now but that won't stop medical docs from preaching bad science.

Completely agree of course on many of the other points, but also disagree on others (preserved foods for example needs a qualification; nothing wrong with bacon, but bacon preserved with nitrates is an issue. Sauerkraut and other fermented foods are preserved and extremely benefical, and so on).

Sure

too many calories
too many carbs and fat
too frequently
low quality foods
severely processed foods
preserved foods
contaminated foods

Mori where are you when we need you?

Don't get me wrong, both are good and I will eat either. I never buy the stuff labeled grass fed. It does not have the marbling of grain finished, that is juice and flavor missing for my tastes.

Living in Iowa, when I was married with kids at home, we would buy 1/2 of a beef every year. I would get it from local farmers who I knew and were well respected. Some people say the grass fed is better. Saw this article today and found it interesting.

All I know is that grass fed only tastes a lot better.

Reactions: GON
You're attempting to throw the kitchen sink into this argument. I was arguing the point you made about your father being a medical doc and the "link" he claims between heart disease and "bad fats". That has been disproved many times now but that won't stop medical docs from preaching bad science.

Completely agree of course on many of the other points, but also disagree on others (preserved foods for example needs a qualification; nothing wrong with bacon, but bacon preserved with nitrates is an issue. Sauerkraut and other fermented foods are preserved and extremely benefical, and so on).
If you don't believe that on over consumption of fat, and especially of the inferior ones, doesn't contribute to heart disease there's no reason to further discuss or argue because belief trumps facts every time.

As far as preservatives in the context of toxins in food goes I think you know I was talking about artificial preservatives and not about methods like pickling.

Last edited:
If you don't believe that on over consumption of fat, and especially of the inferior ones, doesn't contribute to heart disease there's no reason to further discuss or argue because belief trumps facts every time.
That's not what I said. You claimed your dad could find the "red meat eaters" by cutting them open. That's not true simply because one eats red meat. There are those who only eat red meat and have exceptional health by every available bio marker. Red meat is not the problem in and of itself, obviously over consumption of anything (including water) is not a great idea.

As far as preservatives in the context of toxins in food goes I think you know I was talking about artificial preservatives and not about methods like pickling.

The irony in you placing words in my mouth while then saying I must read your mind.

Anyway, I've made my point several times, either you understand what I'm saying or not, I have no intention of arguing any further.

I think that regional culture differences plays a huge part in this too, as places like Japan who have been eating seafood for hundreds of generations or the Inuits with their almost exclusive meat diet. But in general the commercialization of animal farming has allowed huge quantity of unnatural meat to be consumed without having to expend much energy to get it.

I think that regional culture differences plays a huge part in this too, as places like Japan who have been eating seafood for hundreds of generations or the Inuits with their almost exclusive meat diet. But in general the commercialization of animal farming has allowed huge quantity of unnatural meat to be consumed without having to expend much energy to get it.
There was that Inuit study a long time that showed them having excellent health and almost mo cardiovascular issues despite living on meat and blubber. The erroneous conclusions drawn from this study lead to people believing they too could achieve good health by eating a high-fat diet. They didn't consider a more nuanced and contextual approach that would have taken into account all available nutrition and lifestyle. The Big Fat Lie is commonly taken out of context and seen as a carte blanche for eating all the fatty foods you like.

Reactions: Pew
There was that Inuit study a long time that showed them having excellent health and almost mo cardiovascular issues despite living on meat and blubber. The erroneous conclusions drawn from this study lead to people believing they too could achieve good health by eating a high-fat diet. They didn't consider a more nuanced and contextual approach that would have taken into account all available nutrition and lifestyle. The Big Fat Lie is commonly taken out of context and seen as a carte blanche for eating all the fatty foods you like.

Unfortunately it's like the folks that did that skipped on the evolution part of biology and geography class. I know some folks that think like that.

image014.jpeg

Back