Got a new car yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used 10W30 in summer a couple of times. I started using cheap 5W30 in winter for short drains. Not sure if I'll go back to 0W20 on my wife's '11. Not sure if it matters. I think when I first put in PP 10W30 it might have used a quart over 10k but I haven't seen it do that since. Seems to have no problems going to 10k on an OCI. FWIW, I buy oil filters online by the case off Ebay or Amazon (whoever has a better deal), OEM filters, come with the crush washer too. I don't do the predrain thing on the cannister, I just drop it as a unit. Do have to jack the car up an inch or two to get the drain pan under the car though. Lastly the socket for the cannister likes to stick on, more than once I've gone to change oil and can't find it, only to have to check the last vehicle I changed oil on... Don't over tighten that cannister, I stop turning once I feel it seat.

Only issue I've had with ours is brake pads. The dealer didn't service them properly so one of the rears got stuck and I had to do pads at 60k. I used a cheap set and got cheap results, so did pads & rotors at 100k. Then at 125k the fronts had a pad showing delim so had to do that end also. Otherwise the car seems to be working ok, still waiting to crack 200k to see if it'll be a good car.

I'd just use the oils you have. They will all work just fine, and won't have to spend extra $$ on oil.

Camry's aren't fussy.

Originally Posted by zerosoma
Originally Posted by zorobabel
Congratulations!
Use the 5W-30 you already have.

Being an old school BITOG'er and not really with the times, is it still a relative thought process that using heavier weight oil in a car with such low miles designated for 0w20 will indeed, "widen the gaps" to produce leaks down the road? Like, using 5w30 now, at such a young age, will I be stuck to 5w30 at 90,000 miles or risk leaks?

Do you know the thickness difference between a ISLAC 5W30 and a 20 grade?

Scored a 2012 Camry SE for $8,200. 56,000 miles, a little damage above the wheel well from a parking pole. Some paint transfer but nothing a little paint and pops-a-dent can't fix.

I'm ecstatic. It drives wonderfully and the inside of the oil filler hole is practically shiny new. No wear in the cabin at all.

One owner.

Now to find some 0w20 oil. All I have is 5w30, 5w40, and 10w30
crazy2.gif

Use any of those oils, or mix them. Since you are in Omaha, maybe avoid 10W30 during winter, but by all means use it during summer.
I mixed in my Sienna Mobil1 5W30 ESP, Mobil1 0W40 and Mobil1 0W20, then second time 5qt of 0W20 and 2.4qt of 0W40 Mobil1, and now I just use Mobil1 5W30 EP.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
That 2.5 is a solid engine! I'm not a fan of the 0w20, though. Stick to a thin 5W30. I haven't run in to any issues with the Toyota's throwing VVT codes due to oil weight, but they do NOT like being run low. Keep an eye on the level and you'll be all set!

When it starts consuming oil by the rings is when I went to a HDEO 10w30 and ST HM 10w30

That's several thousand in damage. That's why you got it cheap. The whole back of the car is out of alignment as evidence by the tape holding the trunk lid on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CKN
That's several thousand in damage. That's why you got it cheap. The whole back of the car is out of alignment as evidence by the tape holding the trunk lid on.

That's not the OP's actual car
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by CKN

That's not the OP's actual car
smile.gif

My bad. Thank you!

Hospital tape with the strings in it works too
lol.gif

I used that hospital tape to hold a fog light in place in the right front of my car... It held way, way better than Gorilla tape or any other type of duck tape...

When I got rear ended in Nov 17 I used that stringed hospital tape to hold up my right rear bumper... Worked AWESOME
lol.gif

And to think we put that on people's skin... Though not often anymore.

Originally Posted by bbhero
Hospital tape with the strings in it works too
lol.gif

I used that hospital tape to hold a fog light in place in the right front of my car... It held way, way better than Gorilla tape or any other type of duck tape...

When I got rear ended in Nov 17 I used that stringed hospital tape to hold up my right rear bumper... Worked AWESOME
lol.gif

And to think we put that on people's skin... Though not often anymore.

I know the tape you've mentioned. It's strong stuff. Today's duct tape is pretty worthless.

Yes sir you got that right..

That hospital tape is bad donkey for holding up in automotive applications
lol.gif

I don't know if the tape you get over the counter is the same, but I do like that stuff. I use it mostly to hold on bandaids that I thought were large enough (but weren't). Back when I was into hiking I'd use it on moleskin as I'm prone to blistering my feet.

Scored a 2012 Camry SE for $8,200. 56,000 miles, a little damage above the wheel well from a parking pole. Some paint transfer but nothing a little paint and pops-a-dent can't fix.

I'm ecstatic. It drives wonderfully and the inside of the oil filler hole is practically shiny new. No wear in the cabin at all.

One owner.

Now to find some 0w20 oil. All I have is 5w30, 5w40, and 10w30
crazy2.gif

No one asked, but the 2012 2013 2014 Camry SE is the best looking Camry in its history-----far better than the 2015-2017 "refresh."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back