Got a mouse in my garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by N Heat
Originally Posted by atikovi
Didn't want to deal with dead mice. Got one of these from Home Depot and placed it in a kitchen drawer. Would release the mice into the woods next to the neighbours house. An hour later there was two or three more inside. Think I got over 30 of them in 2 weeks.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

You caught 30 mice in your house with 1 trap???

Not all at once, over about 2 weeks time. Used bread as bait.

Originally Posted by red7404
get a spray bottle put water mixed with peppermint extract and spray it around. i saw a spot on you tube a guy got red of mice on a long time setting car.

But these are holiday mice not afraid of a little ol candy cane....

(mice will learn that your spray does nothing... absolutely nothing)

A combination of not giving them denning areas (keep woodpiles away from the home for example), exclusions (expansion foam/screening) and bait stations placed along the outside perimeter (and maybe 1 or 2 in the crawlspace) is the way to go.

(older mice/rats will learn to avoid spring traps after they find a buddy or two of theirs laying dead in the trap.. they're incredibly smart critters given their pea sized brain)

Last edited:
I made one from a 5 gallon bucket, I posted pictures of it before on this site. Simple to make and it works better than any trap I ever used, including the traps mentioned here. It has a wooden ramp attached to a slot cut in the side, I made it long enough for the mouse to easily walk up. Centered in the bucket about 2" down from the top is a rod with a soda can with peanut butter on it. The ramp is aligned centered to the can, slightly higher, but far enough so the mouse has to jump to it. The mouse goes up the ramp jumps to the soda can, it spins and he falls into the bucket. You can leave the bucket empty for catch and release or fill it with about 3" of water, or antifreeze.

I put the ramp in the corner where I found droppings alongside the wall. Problem solved in short order.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I made one from a 5 gallon bucket, I posted pictures of it before on this site. Simple to make and it works better than any trap I ever used, including the traps mentioned here. It has a wooden ramp attached to a slot cut in the side, I made it long enough for the mouse to easily walk up. Centered in the bucket about 2" down from the top is a rod with a soda can with peanut butter on it. The ramp is aligned centered to the can, slightly higher, but far enough so the mouse has to jump to it. The mouse goes up the ramp jumps to the soda can, it spins and he falls into the bucket. You can leave the bucket empty for catch and release or fill it with about 3" of water, or antifreeze.

I put the ramp in the corner where I found droppings alongside the wall. Problem solved in short order.

That's pretty ingenious..ðŸ‘, bet if you leave it there long enough the scent trail that the mice leave will catch a bunch of them.

Last edited:

Nice. Ill search for the pic on here. I assume it was a thread about mice?

Edit: found it. Ill give it a try

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4974309/re-more-mouse-issues#Post4974309

Last edited:
Originally Posted by N Heat

Nice. Ill search for the pic on here. I assume it was a thread about mice?

Edit: found it. Ill give it a try

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4974309/re-more-mouse-issues#Post4974309

Nice find, I gave it a shot and came up with nothing! LOL At any rate it is not my invention, I first saw it when there was a rat problem at the creek at the end of my street. The village used one made from a 55 gallon drum to catch rats, and boy did it catch rats. I made a smaller version. It works like a champ! I'd give it a try.

In the picture in used a peanut jar, which worked quite well. A welding rod goes through the jar, and a few inched from the top of the bucket there a ridges molded into the bucket for strength. About 1/4" below the last ridge about 2-3" below the top pf the bucked I drilled two holes dead center which the rod goes through and the jar sits nicely. It spins like it has ball bearings. Try and distribute the peanut butter evenly in a circle about 1" wide dead center around the jar. When they jump to it they'll spin off and into the pail. I trapped them and let them go in a field a few blocks away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

That's pretty ingenious..ðŸ‘, bet if you leave it there long enough the scent trail that the mice leave will catch a bunch of them.

You'll catch plenty if you have a lot. What is nice is it can be left unattended for days if you decide to do so. The key is to place the ramp in a corner where there is activity and have the ramp run alongside the wall. Shortly after I posted that picture I lent the trap to my niece and nephew, they had a mouse problem and snap traps were not working well for them. They caught three mice the first night. Later found how they got into their basement and resolved the problem.

You'll catch plenty if you have a lot. What is nice is it can be left unattended for days if you decide to do so. The key is to place the ramp in a corner where there is activity and have the ramp run alongside the wall. Shortly after I posted that picture I lent the trap to my niece and nephew, they had a mouse problem and snap traps were not working well for them. They caught three mice the first night. Later found how they got into their basement and resolved the problem.

Right, very smart... and that's because rodents follow a scent trail laid down by another rodent scampering along the wall base. They're rarely out in the open doing pirouettes!...‚

And finding out how they're getting in is the solution long term. You can't possibly trap/catch/poison enough mice to rid the entire neighborhood of it's rodents.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
They're rarely out in the open doing pirouettes!...‚

And finding out how they're getting in is the solution long term. You can't possibly trap/catch/poison enough mice to rid the entire neighborhood of it's rodents.

LOL. Very true. Place it in the middle of the area and I doubt you'll get any. If you don't find the entry point you might as well set up a buffet for them, you will not be able to cause their extinction by trapping/catching/or poisoning them if you have a revolving door free food/shelter policy.

We have a cat lady in the neighborhood. I used to tease the cats that roam my yard until I saw the good work they do. Now I leave the garage door ajar and put out a saucer of milk.

Cats are better at prevention of a rodent infestation - the smell of one, unless a rodent is infected with toxoplasmosis which lowers a rodent's inhibitions towards felines is enough to keep a mouse or rat away. Some cats are spoiled little brats that won't flinch unless a can of Fancy Feast is opened up. The cat who lives with my parents still has the wild left in her despite being nearly 15.

The next best thing are traps. Bait should be used in worst case scenario involving life or death(like gnawed house wiring).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back