Goodyear Tripletreads

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co worker of mine is getting new tires for her Cavalier. She wants a good brand, because she has to go downtown, on some bad roads.

I mentioned these, which she seems to like. I'm looking for opinions, good or bad, that I can give to her.

Granted, I didn't tell her how much either, hence the opinions....

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Here's a good thread http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1505521 .

What do you mean by bad roads? Pot holes bad or shady characters bad?

Downtown Detroit. Nuff' said.
19.gif

daves87rs,

In my opinion GY TT are excellent tires but I think General Altimax HP is a better value wo/ sacrificing performance.

Regards,
~Button

Originally Posted By: Button
daves87rs,

In my opinion GY TT are excellent tires but I think General Altimax HP is a better value wo/ sacrificing performance.

Regards,
~Button

You think they are just as good? Granted, I've heard good things about them....

I have them on my son's '08 Civic.Had them on a Toyota 5 years ago.
Very good traction on wet and dry conditions,decent in snow,long tread life.
Downside is rougher ride,a little ride noise and a bit of a drop in MPGs.
I'd buy them again.

Pretty acccurate statements above in my case too. 18k on the TTs (Avalon), near 30k on the HPs (Jettta) at half the price. The Generals are a little quieter too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
Pretty acccurate statements above in my case too. 18k on the TTs (Avalon), near 30k on the HPs (Jettta) at half the price. The Generals are a little quieter too.

Wow.....

daves87rs,

Look @ all the quantifiable data via Tirerack for consumer feedback &/or test results. The proof is in the pudding.

Regards,
~Button

I like my tripletreads a lot, but it took seven to find four round ones. Tell your co-worker to watch as they spin slowly on the balancer. If they're out of round, reject them.

Originally Posted By: Button
daves87rs,

Look @ all the quantifiable data via Tirerack for consumer feedback &/or test results. The proof is in the pudding.

Regards,
~Button

Makes sense.

Downside is that they only have the Altimax RTs for mine...

Got them on mine, so far so good. They are excellent on dry and wet roads. They really grip, and when it rains, you can't even tell the difference. Haven't used them on the snow yet, but they are supposed to excel there too.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Got them on mine, so far so good. They are excellent on dry and wet roads. They really grip, and when it rains, you can't even tell the difference. Haven't used them on the snow yet, but they are supposed to excel there too.

What size tire, may I ask?

I have the General Altimax RT on my car. Size 225/60/16. Put them on 20,000 miles ago and all four are down to 6/32's tread depth (they started new at 11/32.) Pretty poor showing for a tire rated at 70,000 miles.

They are terrible in the Winter. The compound that General uses is severely allergic to temperatures below 40 degrees. The tires ride like bricks when temps go below freezing. Snow traction is non-existent.

They have also become quite squirmy in the rain now, too. Will easily spin when starting out on a wet road, and will also spin if I accelerate too hard while underway on a wet road. Kind of unnerving to be rolling along at 25-30ph, accelerate, and have the front wheels spin and look for grip. In the rain I have to drive as though there is an egg under the gas pedal. Wet road braking is also dicey. Again, leave extra room and brake gently...these Altimax's slide easily.

I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. These tires have simply worn poorly. They are kept at the recommended pressure, and my car is properly aligned. I am replacing the Generals soon with Michelin X-Radials.

The Goodyear TripleTreds would be worth the premium to get a tire with better all-season performance. Might be a little noisy, but they are popular. Personally, I am not a Goodyear fan but would easily choose them over the Generals if they were my only two choices.

A++ for the Altimax HP's. I have 21,000 miles on them and I can barely tell they are starting to wear. Quiet, great grip. Last week actually I had to hit the brakes pretty hard on the interstate and I noticed the dry grip was much better than with the Goodyear Eagles that came on the car. With the Goodyears it was very easy to get into ABS but with the Generals, not so much. Better wet traction too, and they don't pull the steering wheel driving through a puddle like the Goodyear's did. To me that means a better tread design. They ride great too, I mean they ought to since they are marketed as a GT tire. Sidewalls are obviously on the soft side so, keep that in mind.

Originally Posted By: ryster
I have the General Altimax RT on my car. Size 225/60/16. Put them on 20,000 miles ago and all four are down to 6/32's tread depth (they started new at 11/32.) Pretty poor showing for a tire rated at 70,000 miles.

They are terrible in the Winter. The compound that General uses is severely allergic to temperatures below 40 degrees. The tires ride like bricks when temps go below freezing. Snow traction is non-existent.

They have also become quite squirmy in the rain now, too. Will easily spin when starting out on a wet road, and will also spin if I accelerate too hard while underway on a wet road. Kind of unnerving to be rolling along at 25-30ph, accelerate, and have the front wheels spin and look for grip. In the rain I have to drive as though there is an egg under the gas pedal. Wet road braking is also dicey. Again, leave extra room and brake gently...these Altimax's slide easily.

I don't consider myself an aggressive driver. These tires have simply worn poorly. They are kept at the recommended pressure, and my car is properly aligned. I am replacing the Generals soon with Michelin X-Radials.

The Goodyear TripleTreds would be worth the premium to get a tire with better all-season performance. Might be a little noisy, but they are popular. Personally, I am not a Goodyear fan but would easily choose them over the Generals if they were my only two choices.

Hmmm..I would have to have 14s....and the only choice I get would be the RTs (no HPs in my size)

And it gets below 40 here quite often in the winter...

I roadforced a pair of TripleTreds on the family beater - they ride just as smooth as the Michelin HydroEdges I have in the back.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: rudolphna

What size tire, may I ask?

195/65/R15. All 4 made in USA.

Originally Posted By: ryster

25 years ago I bought Generals, worst tires I ever owned. Wore out prematurely, one blew, one lost a piece of tread. Sounds like things haven't changed much.

John

I have TTs on an 02 Bravada and Alitmax HPs on a Caddy SRX & a BMW 530i. The Triple Treads did great early on, but are almost shot after 40k miles. I believe they tout 80k miles? Didn't happen and I rotated them, etc. The positives: Great All-season tire. The Negatives: Expensive and last only 40k miles. The Altimax HPs are about half the price. They are great in dry conditions and in the rain. I haven't had a chance to test them in the snow yet. I've read mixed reviews on how they do in snow. Regarding the Altimax RTs, I haven't read many good reviews on these at all. Can anyone that has the HPs comment on the snow traction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back