Goodwrench oil = Mobil oil (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search function here yielded some threads showing that currently GM uses Mobil oil as its privately labeled "Goodwrench" brand. Using Google, I also found this statement on a Chevy dealer's website for their quick lube service (3rd bullet down if you follow the link):

"We stock most major brands of oil with Goodwrench Mobil Oil as the house oil"

http://purifoychevrolet.com/quick_lube.htm

Next question mark is: Is Goodwrench 5W-30 relabeled Mobil Clean 5000 or is it Mobil Clean 7500?

Well, it not either one of those. The product Mobil sells GM is the old Mobil Drive Clean oil. It's only available in bulk and those fancy GM quarts.

The real problem with that is that Kemcrest is the supplier and under the Kemcrest lable you could get products from Texaco,Mobil,Eqilion etc..... all bottled with the GM goodwrench lable on them and only a few people would really know who's product is int he bottle.

Never heard of Kemcrest. I know 5 large Mobil distributors that supply all of the GM dealers in their area and when they deliver oil to them it's under Mobil's GM program and it's the bulk Drive Clean product. And according to the Mobil reps I've known over the years they tell me the oil in the silver GM bottles is Drive Clean.
dunno.gif

I thought Drive Clean was discontinued some time after they introduced Mobil Clean 5000?

Kemcrest is the supplier of GM oils and chemicals, branded for GM as "GM GOODWRENCH".

Mobil is the supplier of Mobil-1 oils for GM through local distributors or possibly Kemcrest, too. The Mobil-1 oils, as are all GM Goodwrench oils, are available either in containers, drums, or by bulk delivery from a local supplier of such--all with GM part numbers.

The first pallet we got of GM Goodwrench motor oil, in the beginning of that program in the 1980s, had a Valvoline stamp on it. KEY THING is that the oil in the GM Goodwrench bottle is built to GM's specs, in all respects, rather than just a re-packaged product of a vendor (who has similar products). That first GM Goodwrench oil was not "Pennzoil clear", but was darker in color. We couldn't use if for used car reconditioning oil changes as the potential buyers thought it was "used" rather than fresh. So we discontinued using it, although it would have been a great marketing tie-in.

So, unless you have a chemical analysis of the GM oil to match against Mobil or Valvoline or whatever . . . making a generalized statement that it's the "same as . . . " is not accurate. It'll be built by whomever gets the bid for their next contract on the oil, but built to GM's specs rather than the vendor's specs.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Does ExxonMobil Manufacture Goodwrench Motor Oil?
I have been told by two GM dealerships that their Goodwrench oil is made by Mobil. Is this true? If so, is it made to different specs, or is it just regular Mobil Clean 5000?
-- Tommy Wikert, Wichita Falls, TX
Answer:
Blending products for third parties is a common practice in the oil industry and ExxonMobil is no exception. Nevertheless, that doesn’t mean we use necessarily the same formulations or that we blend all products in a particular OEM’s (original equipment manufacturer's) line up. We do not share details on ExxonMobil's proprietary formulations, nor can we comment on other company’s product formulations.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Goodwrench_Motor_Oil.aspx

Thanks for nothing!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I thought Drive Clean was discontinued some time after they introduced Mobil Clean 5000?

They still use drive clean in the quick lube shops. They sell it in bulk..

It might just be called mobil clean now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back