Good stubby drill bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone make good stubby drill bits? Preferably titanium or cobalt.

Ebay has titanium drill bits for cheap, but the tip breaks off just drilling into wood.

I think you are looking for a screw machine length twist drill.
Good cobalt drills run $5-$8 each but a 29 piece set can be had for about $130 at McMaster Carr.

Last edited:
I have a set of Norseman jobber bits I bought off of Amazon. So far they've been spectacular.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Anyone make good stubby drill bits? Preferably titanium or cobalt.

Any run of the mill machine shop supply sells good ones for pretty cheap. I think you aren't looking at the right sources.

I agree with Chicago Latrobe/Cleveland Twist (Greenfield Industries) and Precision Twist/Dormer as being quality. Not familiar with Kodiak and there are others as well but I lead with those two brands. Any decent industrial supply distributor in your area should be able to help, although some may try to gouge you if you're just a walk-in customer. When I get in the office tomorrow I can double check if the Amazon price for that cobalt set is fair.

Generally, cobalt 135° split point are used in stainless and HSS 118° are good for general purpose applications in mild steel and aluminum, at least in the machine shops around here. Not sure about wood but I would assume the basic HSS drill should be good. Also, titanium is not a drill material. It's used as a consumer marketing term and if the tools are gold in color, it's a titanium nitride (TiN) coating that helps with lubricity and tool life in some applications. No idea if it works in consumer applications on hand drills or drill presses. For the most part, TiN is old school but maybe it'll help for you.

I bought a 10 pack of double ended short 1/8" bits for doing pop rivets. HF or Lowes , I forgot. The shorter a bit is the less likely it is to snap.

Originally Posted by TMoto
When I get in the office tomorrow I can double check if the Amazon price for that cobalt set is fair.

Almost forgot about this. That Amazon price is kinda high unless the next day delivery for Prime is important to you. I would say around $110 or less to be fair plus shipping and if you have a good relationship with your industrial distributor, I'm sure a better price can be negotiated. If it's a stock item for them, then picking it up in will call should not incur any shipping charges but I can't tell anyone else how to run their business. Some places tack on shipping and handling regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back