Good over the air tv antenna?

they have bullied me! I cant even plant a flower they do not approve of and limit number of "approved" and where. I'll present this to the HOA regarding antennas
Just put the antenna up and tell them to pound salt when they tell you to take it down. Make sure that your installation does not cause a safety concern, that is the only way that they can make you take it down.

Just put the antenna up and tell them to pound salt when they tell you to take it down. Make sure that your installation does not cause a safety concern, that is the only way that they can make you take it down.
These HOA ppl fine for the littlest "violation". It costs $20k to hire a lawyer, so they can intimidate you to do what they say; essentially unlimited power.

These HOA ppl fine for the littlest "violation". It costs $20k to hire a lawyer, so they can intimidate you to do what they say; essentially unlimited power.
N0-it doesn't cost 20 grand to hire a lawyer. If they gripe about an antenna placement-a letter from a Lawyer would probably do the job. That would cost a few months of what cable TV would......

N0-it doesn't cost 20 grand to hire a lawyer. If they gripe about an antenna placement-a letter from a Lawyer would probably do the job. That would cost a few months of what cable TV would......
Why are you arguing over this? Ppl here have done that and it cost @20k to bring an HOA challenge to court. Geeze- there is always one in the crowd.

Why are you arguing over this? Ppl here have done that and it cost @20k to bring an HOA challenge to court. Geeze- there is always one in the crowd.
Apparently you haven't seen a lot of my other posts......

Yes, but it also costs the HOA attorney fees to take you to court. When they send you a violation notice letter, send them (and their attorney) back a copy of the FCC rule and tell them that if they pursue the matter that you are going to counter-sue them for your attorney fees and harassment. They can't win because they can't overrule the federal government. HOAs seem to have "unlimited power" but they don't, they have to abide by the same regulations and laws as everyone else does. They get away with the things that they do because most people are afraid to fight them.

Last edited:
At UHF frequencies there can be a huge difference in performance between an indoor or Attic mounted antenna and an outdoor antenna. I'd always go for an outdoor location as the antenna can then be simpler and cheaper because of the extra height and lack of attenuation from the building fabric.

The down lead is a factor too. I use satellite quality cable to minimise signal loss and I keep the length of cable between the antenna and the distribution amplifier as short as possible.

At UHF frequencies there can be a huge difference in performance between an indoor or Attic mounted antenna and an outdoor antenna. I'd always go for an outdoor location as the antenna can then be simpler and cheaper because of the extra height and lack of attenuation from the building fabric.

The down lead is a factor too. I use satellite quality cable to minimise signal loss and I keep the length of cable between the antenna and the distribution amplifier as short as possible.
thanks for the info

Yes, but it also costs the HOA attorney fees to take you to court. When they send you a violation notice letter, send them (and their attorney) back a copy of the FCC rule and tell them that if they pursue the matter that you are going to counter-sue them for your attorney fees and harassment. They can't win because they can't overrule the federal government. HOAs seem to have "unlimited power" but they don't, they have to abide by the same regulations and laws as everyone else does. They get away with the things that they do because most people are afraid to fight them.
They even over rule the state and county in my HOA and get away with it. Ppl are intimidated. If you even ask a question, you get the evil eye. They harassed me with my extra house number, while others were ok. It breeds distrust of neighbors; they turn each others in. Not the way to live.

I have this:

Winegard FL5500A FlatWave Amped Digital HD Indoor Amplified TV Antenna (4K Ready / ATSC 3.0 Ready / High-VHF / UHF), 60 Mile Long Range​

Pointing out a 2-pane window at waist height, to towers 40 miles away. Perfect reception.

They even over rule the state and county in my HOA and get away with it. Ppl are intimidated. If you even ask a question, you get the evil eye. They harassed me with my extra house number, while others were ok. It breeds distrust of neighbors; they turn each others in. Not the way to live.
They will NOT get away with overruling the Federal Government in court. I have to think that someone on the HOA board already knows about this antenna regulation, if not, I have to think that an attorney who is experienced in representing HOAs on legal matters will surely know (this Federal regulation has been in effect since 1997). Either way, they can't mess with you on this, you hold the legal high ground.

Back