Gold Headlamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legal?...The law in your state probably requires a "white" headlight, but doesn't define exactly what white is. If those bulbs aren't too yellow you may be OK.

See better? Yes and no. Yes, because yellow light doesn't scatter and cause glare like blue light does. The yellow is much better at reflecting right back to our eyes so we see details better. No, because the yellow dye on the glass cuts the total light output.

My preference is for "clear" bulbs, neither dyed yellow nor blue. I'd look for any of the clear +30% or +50% bulbs, with the understanding that the brighter bulbs will always have a shorter lifespan.

France used to have a requirement for yellow headlights back in 1980's. I loved that as there was very little glare with oncoming traffic. I don't know if they still have that law.

The old-school yellow headlamp bulbs (like used in France) used cadmium glass for the yellow color that never faded or burned off. Cadmium is very toxic, so no bulbs made in the past 20 years are true yellow-glass.

I've found that the yellow coating on the newer bulbs tends to discolor and burn off after a few hours of use.

Clear bulbs give the most light output, yellow tinted bulbs give a bit better contrast, at the expense of output.

I've used these guys before for true Euro-spec bulbs. Their private-label lamps are also excellent.

http://www.powerbulbs.com

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
France used to have a requirement for yellow headlights back in 1980's. I loved that as there was very little glare with oncoming traffic. I don't know if they still have that law.

France required Yellow Headlights from at least the 1940's, and only stopped requiring them around the year 2001, when Europe United. The EU requires all member nations to have standard laws. Many member counteries were forced to change laws, one of which was that France had to switch to white headlights.

When I would lease a car in France in the 1990's, I found that I could see great at night. As stated before, when the weather conditions at night are not perfect, yellow headlights allow you to "cut through the haze and fog", better than white headlights.
It never bothered me and never bothered French drivers.

I brought back Yellow H4 bulbs and installed them in my GL1500 GoldWing, and never had any kind of problems. No longer available in France. (See Below)

Although the above is about what happens in Europe, with a group controlling what you can do in another country, the same thing can happen here in this country, in that a group of do-gooders can force us to conform to what others do. One example is how the Federal Government forces states to pass laws, or the feds hold back monies from the states. This could happen with nations also.

about 10 years ago, Philips sold WeatherVision bulbs, which did meet DOT regulation. The end result is a slight yellow color, not a deep yellow like other bulbs you can buy today

We put yellow Xpel headlight protection film over the fogs on my fiancee's 09 Fit. The result is a slightly yellow light.

Added benefit is protection from rocks/ice/road debris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back