Alpharex Nova beam shots

Here is a picture of the Alpharex Nova LED headlamps for my 2011 F150. Performance is solidly OK. Objectively I suppose they are better than my halogen 9008 factory assemblies but they don’t really feel like it. Under ideal conditions they are pretty good but through any type of rain or moisture and the output just disappears. I’m not sure if I’d go with them again…. I did try the morimoto hybrid LEDs first and those were very underwhelming- these definitely perform better. Also, my iPhone seems to have white balanced the tint quite a bit. These are a very cool white with not much blue but also no yellow at all. Probably pretty dang close to the rated 6000k. Maybe I’ll take my meter out later and actually check.

Attachments

• E9B36A9B-4383-403F-8606-CA7899974BA6.jpeg
    E9B36A9B-4383-403F-8606-CA7899974BA6.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 0E519AFA-F751-4149-B849-0F63945D26E5.jpeg
    0E519AFA-F751-4149-B849-0F63945D26E5.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 54D5AE3F-AB0F-4C4C-A4F1-53CD11451BB3.jpeg
    54D5AE3F-AB0F-4C4C-A4F1-53CD11451BB3.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 19
Alignments a bit off, driver side needs to come up a hair or passenger side down, otherwise looks decent. The cutoff should look more like this with only 1 step.

The whole lack of light on a rainy road is why I haven’t bought a set myself yet… that’s where my halogens really seem to shine! I’ll see myself out…
BF1C6B48-058A-451F-8A6A-7655772E61CA.jpeg

actually I offset them just slightly on purpose. Helps light up road signs better with that sharp cut off without glaring oncoming. The shots are aimed up the driveway and not as any specific distance. Just wanted to show how it looks. If you notice the dark area in the right right side of the beam that roughly lines up with a dark spot on the road. Projectors appear fine visually so not sure what the deal is but it’s somewhat noticeable.

My other gripe is that they have very strong foreground lighting that is really detrimental to the human eye making use of the less pronounced distance/projected light.

I have the Alpharex Pro's on my 08 Tundra. Paired with 4500k Morimoto HIDs. So far I've been happy with them. Going on 2 yrs

Attachments

• PXL_20230103_180314681.jpg
    PXL_20230103_180314681.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 8
I have the Alpharex Pro's on my 08 Tundra. Paired with 4500k Morimoto HIDs. So far I've been happy with them. Going on 2 yrs

Thats really good to hear. I spent too much money trying to avoid buying Morimoto xb LEDs. Tried the alpharex Pro with a couple different H7 bulbs including some halogens and some LEDs (quality brands) and was very disappointed. I suspected the HID bulbs would work better but didn't go that route. Maybe I should have?

That said, I was perhaps a little over critical in my first post- these Nova's really are pretty decent to pretty good. Definitely better than my 9008/H13 halogens. Just maybe not enough to be worth >$1000.

I too tried a bunch of leds off Amazon. The projectors are cheap in the Pro series. Each led brand had different hot spots and spray patterns. And 6000k that leds all come in suck in the MN weather. Looks nice when it's dry out. Completely washed out when it's wet out.

I bit the bullet and put in some reputable 4500k HIDs to actually be able to see in snow and rain. But HIDs are getting harder to find. Everyone jumped ship to manufacturing leds. If only there were color ranges on led bulbs other than 6000k.

THANK YOU for posting this. I’ve been really tempted to buy a set of alpharex projectors. I have DIY projectors in my stock ‘18 housings, and while they perform wonderfully, my workmanship in these housings is abysmal.

that said, I can see why you are only ho-hum on them. The light distribution between foreground and distant stretch isn’t quite dialed in. it looks like a general wash with pointed hot-spots a little too low in the beam. They wiffed the ball from what it could really be on this one, though I’ll also add that at least with my oem pattern on the ‘18, the alpharex units are still better than oem, probably by a significant margin.

how is the build quality?

The whole lack of light on a rainy road is why I haven’t bought a set myself yet… that’s where my halogens really seem to shine! I’ll see myself out…
agree with the halogen color temp. They still have the edge in inclement weather to my eyes. Even if that’s counter-cultural.

Back