Going out to eat, price or food quality wins?

Went out to lunch last week at a new place. Lunch was $97.00 Not going back there.

And Zee09....sorry about the dress code thing but even AutoMechanic knows you have to wear shoes

Last edited:
The Calvert Citgo actually has some good subs, so does Four Seas. Haven't had much from Pizza Boy. We tend to Four Seas for Pizza. We like Bigfoot's cheesesteak.
I went to the old Calvert Elementary. Once it was first to 12th grade.
I haven't been in Bigfoots since the late 70s. It was once Fanuccis. I went to school with Donnie and Dino.. both gone now. Dino was killed in the bar down the street over a girl and a psycho classmate from years before.
Sorry for the drama but that's what I think of when I go by there..
Like they say old people deal in food and bad news.

For crab cakes we would stop at a place called G&M. It's looking like a single crab cake is about $28. That's too rich for my blood.

btw this is our favorite Chinese in the Phila. area.

Why I think they are no joke, they have locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn, and expanding with 3 more locations.

Ok, cat's out of the bag. The prices are too low, and the portions are too big. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :ROFLMAO:
Is that where you get the Chinese Philly Steak???

I eat out only if I have to (usually when my wife forces me). Other than that, I have 0 desire to overpay for mediocre food. BBQ, stakes, crawfish - anything can be cooked by myself to my liking.

We consider eating out to be an occasion. Wife and I are both masters at shopping the specials and whipping up something tasty and quick, which you tend to learn over decades of working, especially when you have kids at home, as we did.
As a consequence, we're willing to spend actual money and look for good local places, avoiding the chains, which are mediocre at best.
The idea of paying a decent buck for chain restaurant food with what I hear is rushed and indifferent service these days is unappealing, plus we would rather support something local and unique.

With today’s economy, I don’t go out as much as I used to. However, I did go out to a RV park that had unbelievable offerings and below market prices. It’s open to the public so it was kind of the best kept secret type of thing. I’ve also had pretty good experiences at the mayo clinic cafeteria, but that’s kind of an outlier. Other than that, I do enjoy an Italian restaurant.

I’d say both. Don’t want to pay too much but also don’t want bad food either. With me being a picky eater it’s hard to find a place that’s both. Like I’m not going to a steakhouse I’ll make my own quality steak at home and save money and make it the way I like it. But I can’t make my Chinese food at home so I spend a little extra for that and it’s good quality in my opinion.

Generally, used to be for two of us:

Lunch = $20
Dinner = $40

It can be more than double that post Covid. There are times that I don't mind the cost as long as it's (better than) decent. The lobster truck is such a place. The Redwood Cafe in Modesto is another. It's not like we eat at these places all the time.

I prefer real restaurant pizza, like Amici's or a local place like Giovanni's in Sunnyvale.

I'm not big on spending a whole lot of money unless it a special occasion. I've gone out for something special on birthdays or maybe celebrate something like a bonus at work. And of course going out to some place nice while on vacation is something we might do.

I don't mind fast food though. My big thing was all the app-based deals. Burger King used to be great, where I remember just maybe a year or two ago it was $4 for a 2 each of a Whopper Jr., small fries, and small drink. I'd go there with my 11 year old and for $4 we were extremely satisfied. And if I can find a great happy hour special some place, that's even better.

But heck - one of my favorite places is a pizza place where I can do fine on a $3 slice. At my age that's probably enough. But this place is legendary for being cheap and really good. I've been in lines around the block. And the pricing is what I'd call "egalitarian" where one slice is 1/8 of a pie and costs 1/8 the price of a pie.

1366x0.jpg

Fancy restaurants make me feel uncomfortable, so no matter how good the food might be, I still wouldn't enjoy it.
Then again A&W is disgusting.
I prefer a good pub food style meal.
Although with recent changes in my life, going to a pub rarely happens.

Your coworker is going out to eat for an experience, so good for him if he can afford it. I would not spend a lot for regular lunch for myself, but if I am eating with others I would probably pay more for nicer stuff.

I think for a typical meal in a normal place, $40-60 per person per meal would be ok to me as a max. For fancy food like team dinner at the end of a big project, I've had $300 per person. These days you can't eat out without going above $30 / person after tax and tips here.

Last edited:
Back