Going back to 20 weight or sticking with 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Patman
The HTHS is important too, but the difference between most 5w20s and most 5w30s is still not that much (it's generally around 2.7 for 5w20 and 3.0 for 5w30)

IIRC 2.6 was the accepted practical limit before accelerated ring wear would start to occur?

At the other end you could say no to the eco nonsense and use ACEA A3/B4 5W30 with a 3.5 or higher HTHS.

The HTHS is important too, but the difference between most 5w20s and most 5w30s is still not that much (it's generally around 2.7 for 5w20 and 3.0 for 5w30)

2.6 min for a 20
2.9 min for a 30

That's over 10%...that's significant … would you take a 10% pay cut tomorrow because that's "still not much" ?

Shannow you’re beeing optimistic there by assuming that the relationship (between ring wear and HTHS) is linear. In fact it’s not, and once you pass a certain threshold, Patman’s 10% pay cut may translate into a 50% one or more.

https://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/oct-2015/driving-truck-efficiency

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post142574.html

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow

2.6 min for a 20
2.9 min for a 30

That's over 10%...that's significant … would you take a 10% pay cut tomorrow because that's "still not much" ?

You're comparing a 10% pay cut to a 10% change in HTHS? Talk about comparing apples to oranges.
33.gif

That slight change probably doesn't make a difference on a gently driven engine anyhow.

The way I see it is that if you have to replace the piston rings too often, it is somehow equivalent to a pay cut
laugh.gif

Plus tax, plus inconvenience
laugh.gif

I wonder how much of a difference in oil pressure 30 weight will yield compared to 20? still makes no sense why honda doesn't install oil pressure and temp gauges, even Type R doesn't have those

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I wonder how much of a difference in oil pressure 30 weight will yield compared to 20? still makes no sense why honda doesn't install oil pressure and temp gauges, even Type R doesn't have those

Not much at full temperature - probably a couple PSI at high RPM.

Typically, the viscosity of 30 at 200 F would be about the same as the viscosity of 20 at about 185~190 F.

I wish I had any clue what temperature oil is at a daily driving. but again - no way to tell. I guess the difference between the two is negligible and doesn't really need to be accounted for

I wish I had any clue what temperature oil is at a daily driving. but again - no way to tell. I guess the difference between the two is negligible and doesn't really need to be accounted for

Every car I've owned that has an oil temperature gauge shows oil temp running at 200~210 F with nornmal street driving.

still makes no sense why honda doesn't install oil pressure and temp gauges, even Type R doesn't have those

They don’t want you to freak out while watching 0W20 at work
laugh.gif

were any of them equipped with turbo?

Nope, only 5+ liter normally aspirated V8s.

Most modern turboed vehicles should have a decent oil cooler, so I'd bet the oil typically runs at 200~210 F in normal street driving conditions. That operating temperature seems to be what the designers are shooting for in most vehicles.

ahmm..the spec is 0/20, all temps.

Originally Posted By: dblshock

ahmm..the spec is 0/20, all temps.

0w20 and 5w20 are going to have the same HTHS. Not sure what you're point is here.

Noisy with both 20 and 30. Honda DI is ticking away and clicking pretty loud

Fuel injector clicking is normal. All the fuel injected cars I've had from the mid 70s-present do that. Mechanical noise is what we refer to when it comes to an oil making an engine "quiet".

Understood. well, I couldn't really tell the difference with 20 or 30. for what it's worth, I actually think it sounds better with 20 weight. either way, I'm not a huge fan of how honda engines sound in general and this 1.5T in particular

Understood. well, I couldn't really tell the difference with 20 or 30. for what it's worth, I actually think it sounds better with 20 weight. either way, I'm not a huge fan of how honda engines sound in general and this 1.5T in particular

The fuel injection pump makes the noise, not the engines. Anyway you made the decision to not like the sound of the engine while owning two Honda?

I guess the overall feel of both cars as well as all other aspects exceed my expectations so "unpleasant" engine sound/injectors clicking noise doesn't bother me all that much.

I love the smooth precision sound of Honda engines!! Pretty much all Japanese engines as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back