GMT900 V6

Anything in particular to look out for on V6 GMT900 Chevy trucks? Not super common as I understand but there's a RCSB nearby that has piqued my interest. It's a basic 2WD Work Truck but from the pictures online it's very clean and has brand new tires. I suspect it's about as good as I'll get for MPG on a full size truck while still being "old school reliable" compared to the AFM V8 engines as it's got the same old small block Chevy based 4.3 from like 30 years ago. I don't drive much anymore so the hit in fuel economy compared to the Volt won't matter much. I suspect it will still get like double the MPG the lifted Yukon I sold earlier this year did.

For the drive train the GMT900 trucks were probably the best era of 4.3 produced, proper mpfi, electronic ignition, I think they fixed the intake gasket coolant leak problems, no modern deactivation crap or direct injection. The 4L60E is the 4L60E, tested by time, generally when they die, lack of maintenance was probably the issue. If you were in the salt belt or the car was ever owned in the salt belt, you need to diligently check for rust. The interior will be of the meh quality plastics GM used at the time that have probably embrittled, but that's just standard fare on most cars these days when they get to be of a certain age. Pretty much just look over the thing like any other used vehicle you're considering that's 10-15 years old.

Almost got a modern 4.3 in a GM truck. Never considered a V8 because I'll never tow anything worthwhile. The problem was fitting it in my tiny driveway. I refuse to park on the street.

Back