GMT400 Steering Gearboxes

Would your troubles be less if you bought trucks from this century with less than to the moon miles? Cost of new old truck plus cost of a shop doing complete front end rebuild plus whatever else would get you what?
Yeah well now I do all my own work. Back when I had the first few I didn’t have any idea about any of this.

@dogememe not trying to dig up an old thread, but was recent enough...

About 3 weeks ago, Feb 18th to be exact, I put a new/ "reman" Bluetop brand steering box on my 2005 Tahoe. I also replaced the idler/tensioner, idler arm and pitman arm. Steering is night and day compared to the worn out 300k steering box it replaced. Whole front end of the truck feels different. I am AMAZED a 300k truck can drive this nice. I figured while I'm in there, do it all -- it's only money anyways.

@dogememe not trying to dig up an old thread, but was recent enough...

About 3 weeks ago, Feb 18th to be exact, I put a new/ "reman" Bluetop brand steering box on my 2005 Tahoe. I also replaced the idler/tensioner, idler arm and pitman arm. Steering is night and day compared to the worn out 300k steering box it replaced. Whole front end of the truck feels different. I am AMAZED a 300k truck can drive this nice. I figured while I'm in there, do it all -- it's only money anyways.

Appreciate you sharing and I’m glad to hear it worked well!

I opted for a new Cardone gearbox from rock auto but if it’s anything but perfect when I install it, it’s getting returned and a blue top is getting ordered. The reason I ordered that instead of blue top was I don’t have to ship a core back which costs $35 and I’m a cheapo.

Appreciate you sharing and I’m glad to hear it worked well!

I opted for a new Cardone gearbox from rock auto but if it’s anything but perfect when I install it, it’s getting returned and a blue top is getting ordered. The reason I ordered that instead of blue top was I don’t have to ship a core back which costs $35 and I’m a cheapo.
I hope the Cardone is a nice unit for you and it works well! I understand. When I returned my core I opted to NOT buy their label and shipped back my core with a UPS label I bought through PirateShip.com. Was around $35. I don’t know if I saved any money— can’t remember what Bluetop was charging for the included core label. Probably not.

I also left my old pitman arm on the steering gear. It was no value to me and Bluetop was adamant in their FAQ to not damage the core or you won’t get the full core back — 🫡 Aye aye captain, you got it! You can have the arm too.

Once you get all finished up with your install and work I’m interested how you make out.

I hope the Cardone is a nice unit for you and it works well! I understand. When I returned my core I opted to NOT buy their label and shipped back my core with a UPS label I bought through PirateShip.com. Was around $35. I don’t know if I saved any money— can’t remember what Bluetop was charging for the included core label. Probably not.

I also left my old pitman arm on the steering gear. It was no value to me and Bluetop was adamant in their FAQ to not damage the core or you won’t get the full core back — 🫡 Aye aye captain, you got it! You can have the arm too.

Once you get all finished up with your install and work I’m interested how you make out.
I think it was $35 as well for the return label. I’m not mad about that charge, shipping is expensive, I just couldn’t justify it. I’ll definitely update how the new Cardone box turns out. It’ll be a few weeks though it’s been rainy!

It's done! Took me about two and a half hours UGH. But now the steering is AMAZING. The New Cardone gearbox is perfect. Can't recommend it enough! The alignment is still bad but that's a problem for another day. The old Yukon can finally stay in one lane LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_1961.jpg
    IMG_1961.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1962.jpg
    IMG_1962.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 15
It's done! Took me about two and a half hours UGH. But now the steering is AMAZING. The New Cardone gearbox is perfect. Can't recommend it enough! The alignment is still bad but that's a problem for another day. The old Yukon can finally stay in one lane LOL.
Awesome, glad you got it done. And isn't it amazing when these old relics steer good? It's like "Wow these things were nice when new!"

Good stuff.

Awesome, glad you got it done. And isn't it amazing when these old relics steer good? It's like "Wow these things were nice when new!"

Good stuff.

Indeed, I think GMT400s and GMT800s really are the "perfect" trucks. I've had a dozen GMT400s and a single GMT800 and both have their pros and cons but both platforms really do drive so, so well when in good condition and there's something about the GMT400 that just keeps drawing me back to them. If I ever come into money and can afford the 11MPG fuel bill I'm taking the Yukon on a cross country road trip. I will say of all the ones I've owned and all the lousy reman gearboxes I've had in them this one now steers the absolute best of all of them I've ever driven. So yeah, amazing to experience it like it rolled off the lot.

Cancraft in B.C. claims to be awesome-- again, for Rams. I can't quite determine from their website if they do GM stuff -- well, they claim to work on anything but they have a link on their site specifically for Dodge boxes.

Pricing was inline with a new Lares or Redhead.

Just another option. You could call them if you care.
A reman from Cancraft is $350 not including core.

Reactions: D60
Back