GMT400 Steering Gearboxes

Like every other GMT400 I’ve owned, as well as every other vehicle with a gearbox, my recently acquired 97 Yukon has tons of play in the steering.

Part of the fact it handles and steers horribly is the Rough Country lift kit and oversized wheels and tires the previous owner installed, but at the end of the day the sloppy gearbox just makes everything worse.

I refuse to install another lousy reman parts store gearbox. I’ve gone through so many in previous vehicles and they all had slop. An ACDelco brand one, a Napa brand one, and half a dozen MasterPro brand ones, all were sloppy.

That leaves with me a premium reman like a Redhead or Bluetop, or a brand new one. I found Lares 11417, it’s about $400 and brand new, not reman.

Any experience with those? Or suggestions on something else? Thanks.

Any reasonable salvage yards close by? Maybe research what GM models/years will work. Anything with 75,000 miles or less would be as good as a parts house reman unit.

I have been researching this also as the box on my 97 Suburban is tired. The consensus from everyone I have talked to is that Redhead is the way to go.

Last edited:
Any reasonable salvage yards close by? Maybe research what GM models/years will work. Anything with 75,000 miles or less would be as good as a parts house reman unit.

Good idea but I’d rather not do double the labor to pull one from a junkyard.

Been about 6 years now but I put a ACDELCO 36G0161 reman in my regular cab pickup. I don't drive it much but no issues yet. Nowadays, I'd probably lean towards the Redhead.

Years ago I put a Lee unit into mine and it was BEAUTIFUL ( I didn't want the usual heavy feel- nor the GM pinky effort either) until the top started leaking due to stripped out bolt threads. I should have JB welded a stud into it and called it a day- but I felt for that kind of money they should warranty it, and they did......but it isn't as near as nice as the first one. I think the original owner sold out to a new guy at that time. I'll replace eventually with a wrecker sourced unit. I would place this in the transmission catagory- tough to find a good reman.

It's not always the steering box that causes sloppy steering. It can be a bad rag joint or Pittman arm. I just had to have my Pittman arm replaced again on my 98 K3500 Chevy because it went bad. I had the shop check my steering box and they said it was fine. The new Pittman armed helped a bunch.

Years ago I put a Lee unit into mine and it was BEAUTIFUL ( I didn't want the usual heavy feel- nor the GM pinky effort either) until the top started leaking due to stripped out bolt threads. I should have JB welded a stud into it and called it a day- but I felt for that kind of money they should warranty it, and they did......but it isn't as near as nice as the first one. I think the original owner sold out to a new guy at that time. I'll replace eventually with a wrecker sourced unit. I would place this in the transmission catagory- tough to find a good reman.
I used to use Lee all the time, like in the 90's and 2000's. They had really good boxes and pumps.

$700 for a Lee! Wow! For that price I wouldn’t want a defective one the first time and a mediocre unit the second time.

In the world of 2nd Gen Rams, some guys like Lares because they're new. I'm skeptical if they just copied OEM design(s) without addressing issues, but I've never touched a Lares so maybe they're great.

Redhead does not have a good reputation with the 2nd Gen Ram crowd from what I've seen.

I agree the reman boxes from the major parts houses are the definition of insanity. I've installed several MasterPros (warrantied) but each time I wind up with the same result.

I did find a guy that hand builds saginaws on a dodge forum- he wanted $400usd and puts out a good unit I think- but after the first go around I cannot justify more $$.

I did find a guy that hand builds saginaws on a dodge forum- he wanted $400usd and puts out a good unit I think- but after the first go around I cannot justify more $$.
Yep there's a YT vid of an old machinist that roller burnishes sleeves into place for the bearings to assure zero side-to-side play in the sector shaft. That's really the only approach that makes sense to me -- if that's where the slop comes from and on Dodges that seems to be the case. Not sure about GMT400 boxes

In the world of 2nd Gen Rams, some guys like Lares because they're new. I'm skeptical if they just copied OEM design(s) without addressing issues, but I've never touched a Lares so maybe they're great.

Redhead does not have a good reputation with the 2nd Gen Ram crowd from what I've seen.

I agree the reman boxes from the major parts houses are the definition of insanity. I've installed several MasterPros (warrantied) but each time I wind up with the same result.
I'll elaborate on why I am so set on something other than your typical off the shelf big brand reman, Here is my history on vehicles with gearboxes where the standard reman was junk, as accurately as I can remember.

95 Suburban K1500: Redid ENTIRE front end/suspension with ACDelco parts including ACDelco reman gearbox from RockAuto. All parts professionally installed by a shop. The result? It was honestly WORSE than it was before all that $$$ work. They said the gearbox was the issue and installed a NAPA reman. It was a little better but still lame. Ended up selling that vehicle for unrelated reasons.

99 Crown Vic: Steering was loose. Shop inspected the vehicle and determined everything was in great shape except the gearbox. I installed a MasterPro reman. Was worse than the original unit. Ended up selling that vehicle for unrelated reasons.

97 Suburban K1500: Pitman arm was loose, and took the splines of the gearbox with it. A MasterPro reman was installed on this one by a shop. This one was alright, not perfect but tolerable. Ended up selling that vehicle for unrelated reasons.

95 K1500 pickup: Purchased it with a stack of receipts from previous owner. Within that pile of receipts was a MasterPro reman gearbox about one year old. As the steering was SCARY sloppy when I bought it I checked EVERYTHING very carefully. Even replaced the rag joint on steering shaft just in case. Determined gearbox was the issue. So I warrantied out the MasterPro. That one was actually good and tight, steering was PERFECT, except it leaked. I don't remember if it was input shaft or output shaft. I warrantied that one, and guess what, the next one didn't leak, but it was sloppy again. Oh well, sold the truck to a friend/ex at that point. A few months later he contacts me that he was driving and as he left the parking lot of the feed store something in the steering system jammed and then it went loose and the fluid was pouring out and he lost power steering. He drove it home like that. I went to look at it and the gearbox was physically broken into two pieces. He was an absolute grandpa of a driver, super gentle, and I went back to look where it happened and there was not a pothole or anything just a big trail of fluid LOL. So, warrantied again, and the next one was OK. Not great, not perfect, but tolerable.

So, here we are with the 97 Yukon. Part of me just wants to get another MasterPro reman because it costs me $122 vs any of the alternatives. But I just don't want to end up with a still-sloppy truck and that's why I'm willing to spend more on a gearbox.

I know Redhead used to be good, but I've read that they were sold or there was a change and they aren't that great any more. Around that time Bluetop showed up on the scene, my understanding is it was started by someone who used to work at Redhead? Anyway, so far my options seem to be:

MasterPro/generic reman: $122.
Cardone new from RockAuto: $311 including shipping, no core.
Bluetop reman: $370 for gearbox, shipping, and core return shipping.
Lares new from RockAuto: $379 includes shipping, no core.
Redhead reman: $388 for gearbox, shipping, and core return shipping.
Lee reman: $750 for gearbox, shipping, and core return shipping.

Between all of those I'm leaning towards either the Cardone New or the Bluetop Reman. Hmm, between the two, what would y'all pick?

Cancraft in B.C. claims to be awesome-- again, for Rams. I can't quite determine from their website if they do GM stuff -- well, they claim to work on anything but they have a link on their site specifically for Dodge boxes.

Pricing was inline with a new Lares or Redhead.

Just another option. You could call them if you care.

what? if I can get that for the price of a $400 steering box, sure.
I already picked out 295/55/22 Toyo MTs on the stock wheels for you.
I'm not sure what you can do with the active magnetic suspension for off-road.
Payments will be about $400 a week for 56 dog years.

I already picked out 295/55/22 Toyo MTs on the stock wheels for you.
I'm not sure what you can do with the active magnetic suspension for off-road.
Payments will be about $400 a week for 56 dog years.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about. Are you sure you are replying to the correct thread?

Would your troubles be less if you bought trucks from this century with less than to the moon miles? Cost of new old truck plus cost of a shop doing complete front end rebuild plus whatever else would get you what?

Back