GM On the Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheCarConnection Commentary

Quote:

"...one cannot dismiss the dramatic improvements the industry giant has been making. Productivity is up, and so is quality."

"What’s good for GM is good for America…” -GM chairman Charles Wilson, 1955

hide.gif

Its took them this long to figure it out?

The Corvette has gotten better every year since 1981.

BTW does GM make any other cars?
dunno.gif

The new Malibu that was introduced at the Detroit Auto Show is definitely a good sign. It should no longer be the darling of most rental fleets (along with the recently departed Taurus).

Unfortunately, I think that GM should have come up with a new name for the new car, and put the Malibu name on the back burner for a while.

I've been a Ford man for a long time, BUT..., the new GMC Acadia/Buick Enclave look very interesting. I will be checking them both out real soon.

It's gonna take a long time for alot of the buying public to ever trust a GM product again;especially those who left a GM POS and purchased an import such as Honda or Toyota. Countless customers have purchased poor quality cars that limped into GM dealers only to be poorly treated when they got there. MANY left to buy Accords and Camrys for the first time and were amazed that they could run a car so long trouble-free.
I do realize these imports had some troubles of their own but not on the huge scale that the domestics did and for the most part,they were treated much better when they did have a problem that required a dealer visit.
GM cannot thrive by simply building a car as good as the top imports. They have to go beyond what the Japanese are doing to ever hope to regain some of the customers that left GM's stables with a really bad taste in their mouth.
I think the biggest hope for GM is that the quality of the two major players(Toyota,Honda)will continue to trend downward as it has in the last couple of years.
I also think GM's woes will ultimately be good for the consumer. They will have to build a better product if they expect to survive. The dealers will have to offer a higher level of service to their customers. They should not be able to build hundreds of thousands of trucks that the pistons slap so loud it sounds like a diesel and then tell the customer who just gave 35-45K bucks it is normal.
I say let them learn to build a car that is worth what the consumer paid for it or let them go down the toilet. America can survive without GM but GM cannot survive without America and I think they owe the U.S. consumer a big fat apology for building trash for so many years.
The local GM dealer's sevice manager is one of my best customers. I service his Toyota truck as well as his wife's RX330. He has been with GM his whole adult life and can tell one story right after another about how the quality of GM is STILL pityfull.
Flame me if you must but I think GM's recent hard times are much needed and deserved. Are they getting better? That really depends on who you ask.
hide.gif
spankme.gif

I like my Saab 93. Great gas mileage, great power, great handling. I like the interior and the fact that I don't see 50 of them on my daily commute makes it all the better.

Quote:

The local GM dealer's sevice manager is one of my best customers. I service his Toyota truck as well as his wife's RX330. He has been with GM his whole adult life and can tell one story right after another about how the quality of GM is STILL pityfull.
Flame me if you must but I think GM's recent hard times are much needed and deserved. Are they getting better? That really depends on who you ask.
hide.gif
spankme.gif

I would imagine he would turn a few co workers off being employeed by a GM delership, and buying another brand,
crazy.gif

I have to wonder about anyone who bitches about their employer and has been working at the same job their "entire adult life". I wouldn't put much stock into anything they had to say.

Service managers for any dealership won't get a balanced view of the vehicles they service. Even those who work with Toyotas/Hondas only see the problem vehicles with their irate owners. They don't often see the trouble free vehicles with happy owners.

Totally liking the new malibu for 2008; has a bit of a Lucerne look to it. I'll definitely consider one next time out.

Can't say I've ever owned a bad GM car; in fact, I've been happy with all the used ones I've owned. 1977 Regal, 1984 Impala, 1987 Caprice, 1992 LeSabre, 1992 Caprice. I'm talking durability not appearance of course...

Quote:

Service managers for any dealership won't get a balanced view of the vehicles they service...

And are typically much less informed than your average BITOG member. So much so, that you wonder why most are service writers/managers in the first place.

Joel

Quote:

Its took them this long to figure it out?

The Corvette has gotten better every year since 1981.

BTW does GM make any other cars?
dunno.gif

Sure do! GM swept the car and truck of the year honors! Infact the Aura beat the Camry by almost 3 to 1! GM keep it up, good job guys
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

I'm kinda liking the G8 myself. The Malibu for 2008 looks nice too. The only big conplant about GM cars is the sloopy steering.

Actually in comparing the steering of your average GM or ToyHonda, I can't find much differance.

GM has a long way to go before they regain the trust of the American consumer. Despite a few recent reviews, Toyota is set to overtake them in worldwide sales either this year or next, unseating GM from a throne it's held for many years.

Like most people, you have the quote backward. It was actually to the effect of what's good for America is good for GM. The whole point was that whatever was good for America would be good for the American economy, and would therefore be a good for a large firm in a cyclical business, like GM.

Quote:

GM has a long way to go before they regain the trust of the American consumer. Despite a few recent reviews, Toyota is set to overtake them in worldwide sales either this year or next, unseating GM from a throne it's held for many years.

Maybe, maybe not. But, they have already overtaken GM in recalls.
grin.gif

Since I work for a supplier for GM's new Acadia/Outlook/Enclave, I hope they sell like hotcakes. I've driven an Outlook, they are very nice vehicles. I've got a free pass to the Detroit auto show this weekend, I can't wait to check out the new Malibu and CTS.

Well it was bad at first, but it got better as I fixed the pressure in the Power Steering to to what I had in my older Toyota Matrix. It's better now and I'm sure I can get it to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back