GM announces profit-sharing checks up to $11,750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
By this logic, the much larger Federal Government shouldn't have been complaining about giving tax cuts.

It's the same thing. Bread crumbs to them, but real money to those getting the cuts.

The point is, it's all relative.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
She was talking about the $1000 being crumbs for the company compared to their tax break, not the person getting $1000. OMG as they say.
34.gif

lol..good point

I always thought - at least theoretically - that bonuses were a way to manage the boom and bust cycles. Instead of going to the chopping block every time business gets slow, start out with a lower salary and pad the checks with bonuses during the boom times. Over the decades, I remember seeing one wave of layoffs after another in this town during the down times.

There seems to be some confusion here. The profit sharing is part of the contracts between manufacturers and the UAW. They owe the employees the money if they made money.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
My wife, who has a 4-yr nursing degree and a masters, works in an outpatient surgery center. The employees got a 4oz bag of colored popcorn last year.

I kid you not.

Yeah, I work in healthcare and administration feels nurses should get crumbs... while hospital administrators get big $$$ bonuses.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
When people complain about GM being bailed out remember all the jobs it saved in the long run. The military complex and their wages and cost over runs cost far more money. That doesn't even include tax payer funded wars.

I have not bought a gm or ford vehicle since.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
When people complain about GM being bailed out remember all the jobs it saved in the long run. The military complex and their wages and cost over runs cost far more money. That doesn't even include tax payer funded wars.

Why not Ford? Ford wasn't bailed out, didn't receive taxpayer funds. Instead, they saw the writing on the wall several years earlier than GM (and Chrysler/Dodge), and did a major restructuring starting in 2005.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

Why not Ford? Ford wasn't bailed out, didn't receive taxpayer funds. Instead, they saw the writing on the wall several years earlier than GM (and Chrysler/Dodge), and did a major restructuring starting in 2005.

Because I will no longer purchase any vehicle that funds the UAW.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

Actually, Ford DID take 5.9 billion in a taxpayer funded loan. The only difference is that it wasn't specifically under TARP. It was still taxpayer money.

Last edited:

Can't allow the working man to have any representation. Buy a car assembled by temp workers from Adecco making $9/hr.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Can't allow the working man to have any representation. Buy a car assembled by temp workers from Adecco making $9/hr.

The UAW workers have no say in how their union spends its dues money lobbying or lines the union boss fat cats pockets.

The UAW workers have no say in how their union spends its dues money lobbying or lines the union boss fat cats pockets.

AM talk radio listener.

Union leaders are elected. If they get too far away from what the membership wants them to do, they'll be voted out.

Not surprisingly, lobbying for union-favorable laws and sponsoring pro-union candidates is something that most of the membership wants them to do.

Last edited:
No matter what your job is, when you become too expensive to operate you will be replaced with automation and robots. I’ve been there. Money was great, until it wasn’t.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
No matter what your job is, when you become too expensive to operate you will be replaced with automation and robots. I’ve been there. Money was great, until it wasn’t.

What career field / line of work were you in ?

AM talk radio listener.

Care to explain the AM radio comment?

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Care to explain the AM radio comment?

Probably Glenn Beck.
Then again I am conservative but Glenn is a nut-job. If his workers buy cfl or led bulbs they are fired
crazy2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back