Gift cards for Christmas presents... Yes, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Merry Christmas....here's $100 honey.

Good God. That really says it all these days.

Lol, that would kill my spirit. Now $ 500 would be OK

Just give them cash essentially you are trading in x amount of dollars good at any location for the same amount of dollars good at only one location.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Merry Christmas....here's $100 honey.

Good God. That really says it all these days.

Lol, that would kill my spirit. Now $ 500 would be OK

Ha ha ha...you and most other people.

I'm not against giving money necessarily, but I think at Christmas time it would be good to reflect upon what the holiday truly means. Giving somebody in the family money just seems like such a cold way of gift giving at Christmas. Almost like the person giving the cash is like saying..."Okay, here is my forced financial obligation....but I have no desire to put forth any real effort". Same with gift cards. At the same token it should be incumbent upon the receiver to be grateful and gracious for whatever gift they are given....yet many actually ASK for cash or gift cards.

Just my opinion....nothing heavy.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Nothing says I care about your gift I picked out, like the return lines in stores after Christmas. NOBODY returns cash.,,,

With that in mind....then just give cash for any and all gift giving occasions. Nothing says "love" like cash, eh?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Gift cards are LAME LAME LAME.

Why limit their purchase decision to one store? At a minimum, give them cash. Every year I receive useless gift cards. For instance, one person gave me a gift-card to a wine store. I dont drink alcohol, wine, or liquor. I was raised by an alcoholic stepdad and my dad was killed by a drunk driver. I HATE alcohol and everything to do with alcohol. Utterly useless, terrible gift. And in my case, actually insulting. Might as well have given me a gift card to a store that sells prosthetic limbs.

So, NO, do not give gift cards to people. You might think its a decent gift. The receiver might think its terrible. What is wrong with cash?

You can sell GC's for cash at various sites. Also, if you give an Amazon or E-Bay card, they can buy a variety things.

I love gift cards!! Nothing worse than getting that sweater or shirt from your seldomly seen relatives that forgot you're not 10 anymore haha

After getting the wrong size, wrong color, wrong pattern gifts for my daughters and granddaughters for decades, I now give Gift Cards. I let them pick the store gift card. Now if any of my kids or grand-kids want to spend time shopping with me to pick out their present then OK, but they never seem to have time. Maybe next year I'll stop giving altogether. Ed

I do gift cards, but for the kids in the family, I try to pick something "real." My nephew is a big Star Wars fan, as am I, so I can usually find him something he'll enjoy. For the even younger kids, picking some very loud toys always goes over great with the kids, and has the side effect of annoying the parents, so I win twice.
wink.gif

Nothing says I care about your gift I picked out, like the return lines in stores after Christmas. NOBODY returns cash.,,,

With that in mind....then just give cash for any and all gift giving occasions. Nothing says "love" like cash, eh?
So buying something that the receiver thinks is lame, or doesn't fit, or is last years hot item says you put alot of thought into their gift?. I guess you can't have too many toasters or Salad spinners as your wedding gift, in your mind.,,,

So buying something that the receiver thinks is lame, or doesn't fit, or is last years hot item says you put alot of thought into their gift?. I guess you can't have too many toasters or Salad spinners as your wedding gift, in your mind.,,,

I don't deny you your point....I would like to see some reciprocity (or at least acknowledgement) of mine however. Perhaps you just don't understand what I've been trying to get across? That's fine. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back