GF bent on 10,000 mile OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tell her you know much more than the manufactures and the people who engineered her vehicle. Tell her it is a conspiracy that wants her new vehicle to self-destruct 2 miles past the warranty. Forget that, because she already suspects you don't know as much as you say you do. :))

One quick FF OCI and then the recommended 10K intervals after that, nothing wrong with that is there?
The only thing I would do differently is not be influenced on oil brand selection from a flyer/sponsorship.

I'm on the side of the girlfriend and I wouldn't let you open the hood on my car either. Most dudes think they know cars but mess up more than they fix.

It'll be fine.

There is a guy on the BMW forums with a 2006 325i that has over 300k miles doing 15k OCI's with Castrol 0w40.

With modern oil filters, I wouldn't think there is too much "junk" floating around in the oil.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
There are a good number of modern engines suffering premature timing chain wear due to extended oil change intervals.

The oil change is the only way micro particulates and contamination are flushed out.

Can you give some examples?

10k miles is not a huge interval as long as you don't operate in what could be considered "Severe Service"

Originally Posted By: bigjl
There are a good number of modern engines suffering premature timing chain wear due to extended oil change intervals.

The oil change is the only way micro particulates and contamination are flushed out.

10k miles is not a huge interval as long as you don't operate in what could be considered "Severe Service"

10K on the factory fill! not gonna happen here, let here change her own oil, caution on the future with this FEMALE,
31.gif

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The change interval specified by VW is 10k/1yr. Run a good 502 oil and don't worry about it.

OK, no OLM on VW's, I just learned something. Weird though. So if a person runs it 4 miles per day, and gets to 1 year, the car never warmed up, and an oil change is due at 1 year.... Look for sludge. That short tripping means 6 months was a better OCI.
VW must have language in the Owner's Manual for "Severe Service", right? Short trips are severe on acid buildup.

Pretty common for vehicles in Europe to have Severe Service schedules to be honest.

But mineral/dino oil has not been specified that i can remember for the best part of 20years in my experience.

I had a 96 Vauxhall (Opel) Omege 2.5 td with the 2.5 BMW diesel lump and it was Full Synth only

I had an 04 Legacy and that was semi synth as a minimum, though i used Full Synth mainly.

Due to living/driving in and around London since 1990 I have for years adopted a severe service approach to oil and filter changes and do one at half the manufacturers interval.

If the usage that the vehicle the OP is maintaining is stop start and short trip i wojld drop the oil and filter at half interval

Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: bigjl

10K on the factory fill! not gonna happen here, let here change her own oil, caution on the future with this FEMALE,
31.gif

So no examples then?

Wife and I met in 200 with me 95 Civic and her 96 Civic with over 100k each car. She changed oil every 5k-7k and I was ancy and did 3.5k with synthetic. She only did 100k maintenance including t belt , plugs while I did Honda interval of 30k all sort of fluids plugs etc.

We both hit 220k and got new vehicles and she never did t belt again and me on 2nd one and 7 of maintenances every 30k.

We both sold cars for similar amount $4k and she spent FAR less money on maintenance and oil changes beyond time.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
It'll be fine.

There is a guy on the BMW forums with a 2006 325i that has over 300k miles doing 15k OCI's with Castrol 0w40.

With modern oil filters, I wouldn't think there is too much "junk" floating around in the oil.

I posted an "under the valve cover" photo of my son's 2009 329i that has 108k miles on it; the minimum OCI(using BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30)has been 15k miles. It looks and runs fine.

Consider yourself blessed that you have a GF that knows what a maintenance schedule is. Likewise, my bride also wants our cars to be maintained properly and she is happy that I keep her cars in good condition; she has more than a couple of friends whose husbands don't maintain their cars due to stupidity and/or stinginess.

Bob needs to add a new discussion category:

"Manufacturer OCI recommendation is too many miles"

This would soon be the most popular category on this site.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
It'll be fine.

I posted an "under the valve cover" photo of my son's 2009 329i that has 108k miles on it; the minimum OCI(using BMW 5W-30 or BMW 0W-30)has been 15k miles. It looks and runs fine.

Consider yourself blessed that you have a GF that knows what a maintenance schedule is. Likewise, my bride also wants our cars to be maintained properly and she is happy that I keep her cars in good condition; she has more than a couple of friends whose husbands don't maintain their cars due to stupidity and/or stinginess.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4479298/1

The oil is changed in my fiancées Jetta every 5K. It has a dealer maintenance plan that covers the manufacturer recommended 10K / 1 year OCI, then I change the oil myself half way through that interval.

Just goes to show that not everything is a conspiracy and that manufacturers typically offer drain interval recommendations based upon what they know from testing and service experience and in good faith.
Nothing prevents the conspiracy theorists from doing early drains for the life of the car.
Their time, money and choice.
We had a post here a while ago from someone quoting some purported "expert" in which a really absurd series of short drains were recommended for a new engine.
Maybe a couple of short runs might be advisable for a rebuild that you did on the bench in your garage with the machine work done by the local guy, as I've done in the past, but this is probably unnecessary with a factory built engine which was clean on assembly and won't make a lot of metal in breaking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back