GF bent on 10,000 mile OCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit of advice on new Volkswagen's. Whatever you do to it, document it well and save the receipts. Volkswagen is religious about their 10K miles services and making sure everything in each interval 10K, 20K, 30K....etc. is done per the schedule. Stick to OEM filters and VW spec'd oils.

If you really want to "help", so the 5K oil changes and leave the 10K maintenance for the dealership until out of warranty.

So we are talking about someone following the OM and somehow that isn't right?

I'd only be talking her into something else if it were ATF and a lifetime fill

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
She is "HARD HEADED" because she wants to do what the factory recommends? Someone has got that totally backwards thorrmig.

I know, right? The simple fact she is even aware of the OEM maintenance interval and wants to stick with it, makes her a rare breed of woman from my experience.

Rule of relationships: The Women is always right.
smile.gif

Many manufacturer's are going to 10k OCI (Toyota/Lexus,etc) for first oil change. Now if she refuses to check her oil occasionally that would be a bigger concern.

Is the early oil change worth it if it has a negative impact on your relationship?

I would start getting involved in her little niches telling her how to cook, too much salt isn't good for you etc..
Seriously you are exceeding the manufacturers intervals on her behalf. Word it like a Pro. Personally I could never go 10,000 miles on any oil change. 5,000 miles on this Challenger is killing me.
I checked it the other day and it was already Dark Brown and I have 2,000 miles to go.
Explain to her about timeing chains and metal shavings in a new engine if that doesn't work seek counseling.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Just be honest with her and tell her changing oil is one of your life passions. Giving a technical explanation on why she should or shouldn't change the FF early is a waste of time.

Tell her you want to see if there are any particles in the oil. Tell her you are addicted to looking for the metallic sheen of used oil.

Also buy a magnetic drain plug and tell her it will help you at tiny metal bits. It's something that fascinates you. You even take pictures of the stuff.

She won't understand, but she'll let you because she can feel your "joy" and excitement ...

You must learn to talk in a way that will "get through" to the female mind ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The change interval specified by VW is 10k/1yr. Run a good 502 oil and don't worry about it.

OK, no OLM on VW's, I just learned something. Weird though. So if a person runs it 4 miles per day, and gets to 1 year, the car never warmed up, and an oil change is due at 1 year.... Look for sludge. That short tripping means 6 months was a better OCI.
VW must have language in the Owner's Manual for "Severe Service", right? Short trips are severe on acid buildup.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

OK, no OLM on VW's, I just learned something. Weird though. So if a person runs it 4 miles per day, and gets to 1 year, the car never warmed up, and an oil change is due at 1 year.... Look for sludge. That short tripping means 6 months was a better OCI.
VW must have language in the Owner's Manual for "Severe Service", right? Short trips are severe on acid buildup.

You're over thinking it. 10k/1yr and you're not going to have a problem if you run the specified oil. Simple as that.

Who cares. My brothers girlfriend w
Quit changing the oil 25 thousand miles ago. She pays me to add oil when it needs it. I'm happy and it allows me to get rid of my cheap oil I don't like. Lol

Originally Posted By: Eddie
She is "HARD HEADED" because she wants to do what the factory recommends? Someone has got that totally backwards thorrmig.

^^ this x 1,000.

another hilarious bitog thread.
the truly hard headed ones are those who keep trying to convince others to do things in which they believe.(or those who try to convince others to buy x brand of car/appliance, t.v., etc.this is very common on bitog, and in the real world.)
IF one is asked about the above, THEN give a suggestion, and let that person decide.
read javacontour's, drtyler's, and m.o.m.'s posts.

re:any woman questioning her man on doing her car's maintenance -- that's just stupidity, or she's inventing drama that will likely result in a fight.if there's no drama, many women will invent some. that's just what they do. think peg bundy.

brocluno's post is good , saying to talk to her in a way that will get through to the female mind. good luck with that.anyone that can do that, on a consistant basis, should write a book. it will be a best seller.

OP -- thanks for a good laugh on your drama queen thread. not all drama queens are women.
that would make a good sig line.

mods -- these drama queen threads should go to the humor section.

Last edited:
I change the oil every 10kmi on my wife's 2012 Camry. Seems like I'm changing it a lot since she puts over 25k mile a year. Using 0w-20 M-1 OE filter, and never worry about the 10k OCI that it's designed to run.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Change it when she is not looking.

Best advice thus far, all other advices are nonsense (dumping a GF and start all over again, which moron would do that...)

Same goes with my wife, complaints on why I do PM, I care less, I do it anyway.
That specific day of complaints and arguments remains bitter but then all forgotten the very next day.

A woman that has to have her own way about something as silly as this is a high maintenance girlfriend.
Now I don't mind a high maintenance vehicle because I enjoy working on vehicles but I prefer my women to be low maintenance.

You may as well get sized for your skirt now because she expects to be wearing the pants.

What's wrong with 10k?
smile.gif

Does VW say to change out the FF early? Some mfrs are adamant about keeping the FF in there for the full standard OCI.

If you're going to change it yourself make a maintenance clipboard, file, etc with receipts and service dates. Adding some magnetic catcher might help.

Letting the stealership do it will relieve you of a duty and a headache, if something goes wrong warranty wise etc. you will bear no blame. I guess it's the cost of minimizing liability, and relationship drama, that might be money well spent.

Good luck.
13.gif

Change it when you want but use the correct oil and a top notch filter and pay for it yourself.

Make sure you do it when it doesn't inconvenience her and vacuum and wipe down the interior when you do it (fill up the tank if you have extra $).

Also don't start debating this months before you do it, just give her some notice and get it over with.

Copy the receipt and keep it in the owners manual service stuff.

Don't let her under maintain a nice new car over a petty debate. I do all these things for my gf's car because we have the same debate, but she drives a beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back