General Transportation Question

I was surprised as well.

The elevator moves around 2.7 billion people per day, or about 1/3 of the world's population each day.

Prior elevators were mostly used for goods until Elisha Graves Otis showed, at the NYC World's Fair, that the elevator brake he invented provided a safe way of stopping it from plummeting.
I would be curious of that metric. Rural China and India use a lot of elevators? Just a question... The devil is usually in the details...
I would love to see the article, so I could chew on it for a while...

Given that many people work and live in multi-story buildings, frequent hospitals, big stores, airports, etc, it all adds up.

In the "Horizontal Transportation" realm, I believe that the school bus is the most safe method.

(Note; I'm just going from something I remember seeing in the past. No data. )

During a work break I asked a pair of officers from a special services division of the NYPD what the most dangerous thing I dealt with as a city dweller.
"Elevators", they said in unrehearsed unison.

I was gonna vote for shoes.

If only the Heelys were motorized....
1711587346736.jpg

Elevators are not perfectly safe. Most accidents though involve people working on elevators, including police and firefighters attempting to free passengers from a stalled elevator. There are somewhat common malfunctions that can be fatal to a passenger though:
* Hallway-side doors being open though the car is not present. People can fall into the shaft.
* Car moving while the doors are open. A person in the gap will be mangled.
* Cable breaking and car falling. As noted, there are numerous safety systems for this and these incidents are very seldom fatal.

"Carrion Accident and Injury Law Firm" is the funniest thing I've seen in a while.

I saw the episode of Mysteries at the Museum. People did not want to ride elevators, until a safety innovation could prevent them falling down. He had to prove that to the public at the event. Then elevators took off.

Back