G12 used in VWs

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '96 Audi A4 was one of the last Audi or VW to come with the green G11. I switched a few months after I got the car to G12, which is reddish, and I have never looked back. G12 has since been supplemented by G12 Plus, which is purple. Unlike G12, G12 Plus may be mixed with G11 and G12.

I don't know the details about this coolant, but here is a picture of the back of the jug. I use the stuff in my '00 GTI.
 -

It's made from 24k liquified gold.......honest. That's what the VW parts guy told me when I choked at the price tag.
wink.gif

I've read somewhere in ClubB5 that G12(silicate/phosphate free formula) is close to Dexcool of GM..dunno but regardless I always use the oem stuff. I use the Autobahn brand for the B5, part# ZVW 231 G12..$10 from the stealership.

If the warranty runs out, I'll run Water Wetter in the B5..it keeps the 190E kewl.
smile.gif

Ethylene glycol*, OAT, no silicates, no phosphtes - sure reads like a DEX-COOL lookalike - regardless of marker dye color... Thanks for posting the readable digital photo.

*Diethylene glycol is a co-product of the synthesis process for ethylene glycol. It forms to about 2% of the overall glycol concentration and has little or no impact on the antifreeze/antiboil properties.

"Alabamistan" - which part, wayne, the larger area known as the Democratic Peoples Republic of Albamistan By Dang, or the tiny free principality known as Inner Outer-Alabamistan?

G-12 coolant is what BASF calls Glysantin G-30. BASF, which is OEM to many European manufacturers, makes three related coolants:

G 30 - New generation of coolants for VW and Audi

G 33 - Approved by Peugeot, Citroen

G 34 - Approved by Opel/GM Europe, Saab (DexCool in the U.S.)

Chemically they're nearly identical - they're nitrite-free, amine-free, phosphate-free, silicate-free, borate-free OAT coolants.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=37;t=000161

DexCool is basically interchangeable with the G-12 coolant.

Ray H wrote: "Alabamistan" - which part, wayne, the larger area known as the Democratic Peoples Republic of Albamistan By Dang, or the tiny free principality known as Inner Outer-Alabamistan?

Ray H, that's quite funny!
grin.gif
But I don't really know how to answer.
tongue.gif

Mickey_M,

A local reputable independent VW repair shop owner told me that G12 would NOT mix with Dexcool. He said if you poured equal amounts into a container that the two would seperate.

I know nothing about coolant chemistry, so I have no idea if what he said is true. Maybe he was just blowing hot air.
dunno.gif

G12 and DexCool are the same basic chemistry.

I had a half and half at an Irish pub last night, half Guiness and half a dark brew.

If you pour the dark brew slowly onto the Guiness, it stays separated while you drink it.

Guiness and the dark brew, however, are fully compatible.

I can confirm that this morning when I drained them they were fully mixed and indistinguishable.

Pay no attention to the VW repair shop.

The "DEX-COOL" name is a GM trademark property and refers to specific performance capabilities, not a specific formulation. One of the performance requirements is that each company's licensed "DEX-COOL" must be compatible as compatible for service fill and top-up with other brands identified as "DEX-COOL". GM's own DEX-COOL sold through GM dealerships is made for them by Texaco division of Chevron Oil Company. Though the jugs are different, the contents are identical to Texaco "DEX-COOL" sold through national autoparts and discount stores.

My position is that a flush and fill of $5 Supertech Generic Dex is better than topping off/mixing G-12 and Dexcool. People who are topping one coolant with another are probally overdue for service and simply running it too long. Also, a leaking system that allows air to mix with G-12/Dex is a known problem as far as IT jelling. Low level from leaks>mixing of air into system>topping with Dex>shot cooling system. See the cycle? Nothing to do with them being compatible.
I am just here saying dump G-12 and any unsilicated coolant. In addition to what I wrote below, you all know how long our Audi radiators last, I don't see the same failure rate on Mercedes at my BOSCH Center.

Unsilicated coolants that rely on slow-acting OATs are history, GM and Ford dropped them as well as VW. Lightly silicated Hybrid Organic Acid Technology coolants like Mercedes G-05 have the ability to protect more rapidly in situations where the protective layer has failed due to cavatation, etc. G-05 H/OAT coolant has the longest sucessfull track record, btw. Mercedes' even carries a sack of silicated crystals in the coolant resevior to replenish the silicates. I don't make this stuff up. My theory, after seeing pics in MOTOR Magazine of fully corroded OAT water pumps in controlled tests, is that there are a lot of blown timing belts from water pumps siezed by G-12. There is also the issue of the plasticiser 2-EDTA in G-12 eating through seams and gaskets."

G-12 is obsolete, replaced by G-12 Plus.

[ December 14, 2005, 01:25 AM: Message edited by: Audi Junkie ]

"G-12 is obsolete, replaced by G-12 Plus."

The part number seems to indicate a version change. BASF still lists the G 12 (BASF's G 30) alone.

My German is rusty but the German sources I scanned seemed to indicate that G 12 Plus is basically the same as G 12 with a slight change to permit mixing with G 11.

As you may know if you mixed G 12 with G 11 it foamed.

That would allow a dealer to stock one coolant and to back fit G 11 equipped cars without the extensive flushing required with G 12.

"Unsilicated coolants that rely on slow-acting OATs are history ...."

Peugot/Citroen, GM, and VW/Audi/SEAT are still using them.

Overall I believe the G 05 Mercedes-type coolant has some real advantages, but in a properly maintained cooling system the OATs can work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back