Furnace Filters

If one has an older belt driven blower system that like old school low restriction fiberglass filters just spray dusting polish on the upstream side of the filter to add tackifiers.

Reactions: hrv
I use the MERV 14 Filtretes - no ill effects so far.

If you need a air cleaner, either go whole house when a HVAC upgrade is done to save on labor or buy a few HEPA units.

I just bought a 3M Filtrete Furnace Filter that has a Merv rating of 5 for dust and lint. Is it necessary to have a filter with a higher Merv rating in the winter since the air is cleaner.
I had two heating contractors tell me it's best to have good air flow and not use those highly restrictive, high merv filters( over 5 merv ). One technician believed my use of a high merv filter may have contributed to my heat exchanger cracking. I now use those glass woven rock catching filters and stay away from high merv filters.

I cna't wait to furnace that actually uses it's filter.

Our current furnace has a filter slot and a filter in it, but I just don't see how it actually does anything. I think it just draws in all the air from the bottom of the furnace itself.

If one has an older belt driven blower system that like old school low restriction fiberglass filters just spray dusting polish on the upstream side of the filter to add tackifiers.
End dust spray works great also...

I had two heating contractors tell me it's best to have good air flow and not use those highly restrictive, high merv filters( over 5 merv ). One technician believed my use of a high merv filter may have contributed to my heat exchanger cracking. I now use those glass woven rock catching filters and stay away from high merv filters.
Similar to the agreement we have with our long term HVAC company (2nd generation company) …
We put ”glass filters” in monthly from down below - they change the pro grade filter 2X per year. (attic)

Filtrete puts the pressure drops on the filters, I was surprised after reading that study and the 1900’s really are lower than the lower merv ones.

Not necessarily, as I described above sometimes the higher MERV filters offer less pressure drop… probably because they have far more pleats.
They are great, until they get even slightly plugged. The 3M filters are terrible.

What MERV rating filter you use also largely depends on your furnace. All furnaces will have a maximum MERV rating. I know my Trane HE heat pump says max MERV 11. I use MERV 8 mechanical (NOT electrostatic) filters. They are Camfil 30/30 1” filters, can not go any thicker, and change them the first of every month. Our heat pump is on circulate 24/7/365.

I am trying to find some cheapy filters for a mobile home furnace. The pleated ones restrict the airflow enough that it makes the outer housing pop like a canned food lid. Took out the filter and no popping. That popping can't be good for the furnace.

I used the 1900 3M Filtrete furnace filters, and was able to get 21 years out of my original furnace. I expect nothing less out of the new furnace that I have. If you use the leaf catcher filters you end up with dirty vents and ceilings.

I just bought a 3M Filtrete Furnace Filter that has a Merv rating of 5 for dust and lint. Is it necessary to have a filter with a higher Merv rating in the winter since the air is cleaner.
Answer = No
Your fine and your filter is more than that is required by equipment makers. More or less your system will not suffer because of your choice of filter.

We personally use 4+ inch (labeled as 5 inch) thick Merv 11 and sometimes Merv 8 depending on cost air return grill filters of any brand in the hope of keeping dust down as much as possible. We have four filters, 2 filters in each system.

I decided on a MERV 8 filter / sort of middle of the road as far as removing dust and restriction.
I now go by four criteria on when to change the 1"x16"x20" filter.
1) How long in use
2) Filter Integrity - any bulging caused by air pressure
3) Color & Dirt - Hold up to light and inspect
4) Reading from Differential Pressure Gage
Edit: I just changed my filter only because it was in for 8 Months. All other criteria looked good.

Using these four criteria, I could use different MERV and manufacturers filters to maximize usage and reduce cost.

I also learned that the higher the MERV, the higher percent of dust will be collected.
So I try and keep the area in front of cold air returns dust free.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
No mention of the MERV rating...
Wow, I hate the K&N brand but they might have something here. Looks well made.
Just like you say though, they do not disclose merv or air flow stats. This is what drives me nuts with the company, seems like a cult, no facts just marketing.
I can only assume in time, someone will test these filters, like Consumer Reports maybe... if so, I could be interested, maybe. Maybe not if I dont feel like cleaning filters and rather throw them away *LOL*

Back