Full Synthetic Recommendation 5.7l Hemi 100k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I would quit using the 5w20 if it was using oil. I don't believe the MDS mumbo jumbo.
My Challenger has MDS and uses 0w40. Buddy up in Pennsylvania has a Charger with a 5.7 and uses 5w30 without issues.
Just manual followers trying to put scare tactics in you.

In Oz they let you use everything from ILSAC 0W20 through mid-SAPS ACEA C3 5W-30 and on to full SAPS 5W-40. Go figure.

My local Jeep dealer uses 5W40 when I asked him what his standard fill was.

Originally Posted By: gambit023
Can you guys recommend me a full synthetic oil for a 2009 Jeep 5.7 Hemi engine? It consumes about a quart every 5k miles. Live in the mid-Atlantic region and mostly mixed driving city/highway.

I've always used Royal Purple 5w20, but now my local Walmart does not carry it any longer.

Was thinking of one of these two:
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology
or
VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC WITH MAXLIFE

Check the PVC valve. If it has oil on it or if is does not rattle when you shake it it needs replaced. Mine is burning almost 2 quarts every 500 miles with 109k miles on the clock. I just tried Pennzoil Platinum High Milage that made my problem worse. I'm going to replace my spark plugs as spark plug founding is also a reason Hemis burn oil and replace my PVC valve. I'm also going to try Valvoline Full Syn Maxlife. I'm hoping reconditioning the seals and the 17 other parts help my consumption. I'm also very interested in EDGE High Milage. This are the two I'm trying to pick from now.

Last edited:
Good call on the PVC valve. The Hemi in my truck used about a 1/2 qt of oil on the dipstick which is rare. I checked the PVC and it wasn't totally froze up but real sticky. I cleaned it because a new one is $25 and got it working smooth and now oil usage stopped completely.
I forgot about that.

Wm
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
M1 EP 0w-20. That's
Panzerman said:
2 qts of oil every 500 Miles- Wow. That thing probably smokes like a two stroke. That's a serious issue.

It's actually not smoking and not leaving puddles. I'm still trying to figure stuff out with it. Just bought it last week

Replace the PCV valve first and keep it topped off with 10w-30 until you get the consumption figured out. Hopefully you will see a large reduction in consumption with a new PCV. If you don't i would make real sure you don't have oil in the coolant or external leaks. Then I'd pull the heads and check valve guides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back