are all full synthetic high mileage oils similar?

hey guys! in my 6.0l v8 vortec engine im at 250,000km and want to run a hm oil to see if it will stop the leaks i have. right now its summer and we are regularly above 20 celcius everyday and can get into 30celcius +. i dont run high oci at all, i usually just go by the 6000km sticker or the OLM but i still prefer to run a syn oil for piece of mind. i cant seem to find valvoline full synthetic maxlife in canada, i could only find the red bottle which i believe is conventional 1. Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30 2. Pennzoil 5W30 Platinum Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil 3. Quaker State 5W30 High Mileage Synthetic Engine Oil 4.Royal Purple 5W30 Synthetic High Mileage Motor Oil these seem to be all the ones i can find in canada, correct me if i am wrong please so which would be the best? or do i basically get whats on sale? i noticed that the pennzoil and the quaker state is usually on sale but i dont remmeber ever seeing mobil hm or royal purple hm on sale thanks!

Hi, i have been using both versions of max life since the red bottle first came out here, i believe around the early 2000s. I have never had any issues with the max life in all my cars and trucks nor was i expecting to, is it better than the rest of the high mileage group of oils ??? And the walmart in my town carries both the syn blend and full syn versions. Also they usually put it on sale once a year . I have also used canadian tires motomaster version of high mile oil which is a shell product in my daughters cars for four or five years with no issues usually pick this up for around $20

Last edited:
You're going to have to try out different oils to see what works the best. I tried M1 HM & PP HM before finding that VML helps the most with the seeps/weeps in my Accord.

You should know that HM oils don't work immediately. Depending on how much you drive you will need to give the oil the chance to work.

Originally Posted by mclasser
You're going to have to try out different oils to see what works the best. I tried M1 HM & PP HM before finding that VML helps the most with the seeps/weeps in my Accord.
Which version of VML do you use?

thansk for the reply everyone in canada we have a brand called motomaster and it makes a cheap hm but its conventional so i dont feel like running it otherwise we have castrol gtx but i dont think that it has many good reviews i wanted to add that the quaker state is the full syn version here in canada. i dont know if people in US get it, but we sure do. QUAKER STATE HIGH MILEAGE FULL SYNTHETIC its regularly on sale believe so i think i will lean towards that, unless someone can steer me away to a better brand i heard great things about valvoline maxlife full syn high mileage but cant seem to find the grey full syn bottle here in canada https://www.quakerstate.com/en_ca/p...r-state-high-mileage-full-synthetic.html

Maxlife in red bottle does fine in my old Chevy 5.3 basically the same as your 6.0. I don't bother with the full syn version because it burns a bit of oil anyway especially when I use the whole speedometer for long periods of time ...‚

Originally Posted by apollo18
... QUAKER STATE HIGH MILEAGE FULL SYNTHETIC its regularly on sale believe so i think i will lean towards that, unless someone can steer me away to a better brand...
I agree with you.