Full synthetic for Kia Forte?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the 2012 Forte 2.0 a GDI engine?? I may be mistaken but I don't think it is...if it is, I definitely wouldn't go anywhere near a 10K OCI given the noted usage with considerable idling / warming up.

Not sure...

Granted, from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kia_Forte
2012-present:
The Forte is offered with the new Nu engine, in a 1.8 Liter DOHC MPI 4-cylinder producing 148 hp (110 kW) with 131 pound-feet (178 N·m) of torque, and a 2.0 Liter DOHC GDI 4-cylinder rated at 173 hp (129 kW) with 154 pound-feet (209 N·m) of torque.[26]

Last edited:
I have a 2012 KIA Forte Koupe with the 2.0 and it is a noisy motor. The 2012 is not DI. The dealer's KIA master tech advised its the cam and valves. I have tried every oil to quiet it down without success. I've used 5w20, 5w30 - both synthetic and conventional. QS Ultimate durability, Advanced durability, Synpower, GTX, you name it, I've tried it. Synthetic does work better. Currently using Kendall GT-1 synthetic with Liquid Titanium 5w30. This oil is the quietest so far. It still ticks during idle. Dealer says it is normal for this motor. I've taken it to 2 KIA dealers - both state normal. I have my doubts, but what can ya do? Got another 7.5 years and about 80k more miles to worry about it.

I second the use of the Hyundai/Kia filter. It is a very good quality filter and the price is right. I have a Kia Optima and have cut a couple of those filters open.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I am wondering what would be the best on the shelf full synthetic oil for my girlfriends car. It's a 2012 Kia Forte ex. Has the 2.0 liter naturally aspirated motor. I believe it states in the oil cap 5w-30 motor oil. Currently at cold start it has just a slight valve tick but only at idle. So I'm wondering if changing viscosity would help it out at all? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi 02saudi, we like to stay with the OEM recommendation when it comes to motor oil specifications required, as well as viscosity stipulated. With that said, we would recommend Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 with PurePlus Technology.

PurePlus Technology is the patented gas-to-liquid process which converts natural gas into a pure base oil with lower friction, greater stability at engine operating temperatures than conventional motor oil made from crude, and BETTER LOW TEMPERATURE PROPERTIES (which means faster flow at engine start-up, even in cold weather). Hope this helps! - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You should have a transferable 100KMI warranty on the engine if the previous owner adhered to kia strict service schedule.

Get that activated!

Drivetrain warranty for second owner, etc. drops to 60K.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz

This is correct. The 100,000 mile DT warranty does not transfer to a second owner.

Originally Posted By: BrianC

This is correct. The 100,000 mile DT warranty does not transfer to a second owner.

I'm curious, if the car is purchased from a Hyundai/Kia dealer as a 'certified' used car does the 100,000 mile warranty stay in place?

Originally Posted By: hominid7
Originally Posted By: BrianC

I'm curious, if the car is purchased from a Hyundai/Kia dealer as a 'certified' used car does the 100,000 mile warranty stay in place?

Our KIA was 9 months old and at 15k purchased from a KIA dealer and we got 60k. I don't know if they sell "certified" cars or not.

The car is so noisy on start up. It's scary. I can't imagine it's designed that way. I never really noticed it when she first bought the car. I ended up switching to QSUD 5w30. It calls for 5w20. It seems though that the noise is loud when first started but after a while it settles down. Almost like the oil isn't there on start. Do you think a thinner oil at cold would help? Like a 0w?

QSUD in 5W20 is very quiet in my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe with the V6 engine. I have used most of the Mobil 1 products and also PYB/PP in her SF and QSUD is by far the quietest. I also think your engine requires a 5W20 oil.

Last edited:
Quote:
It requires 5w20 but I figured the thicker 30 would help with noise.

If this is a GDI engine, a lot of the noise is the injectors, not the valve train.

According to the manual 5w-30 is fine, I currently have M1 5w-30 in my 2.4L GDI. Seems fairly quiet, but I may have become accustomed to it.

If the engine is the GDI version, it will say so on the black engine cover on top of the engine. If it is, I recommend sticking with a synthetic 5w-30 & the OEM filter, and change it every 5000 miles.

GDI engines beat the poo out of any motor oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back