full coverage or liability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Depends on what the vehicle is worth. I just have liability on my Jeep, and have only had that for a long time now. I dropped comprehensive three years ago. The reason for that is if I hit something bigger than a stick in the road it will be totaled and the insurance will give me 1500 bucks. I've never had collision or glass coverage. Glass coverage through my insurance was an extra $100 a year. I priced out a windshield for my Jeep and it was $150. In my opinion, having worked in the insurance field before switching to IT, collision is only necessary for vehicles you finance or if it is still worth a decent amount. Depends on your driving abilities too, if you suck at driving than collision might be helpful.

If you are somewhat confident in your driving, I'd just carry liability.

Was that 150 installed? I just had it done and the bill was a little over $400. The glass was a little under 200 and labor was a little over 200. A rock kicked up on the road and hit the windshield while I was doing about 60. Insurance paid for it.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Depends on what the vehicle is worth. I just have liability on my Jeep, and have only had that for a long time now. I dropped comprehensive three years ago. The reason for that is if I hit something bigger than a stick in the road it will be totaled and the insurance will give me 1500 bucks. I've never had collision or glass coverage. Glass coverage through my insurance was an extra $100 a year. I priced out a windshield for my Jeep and it was $150. In my opinion, having worked in the insurance field before switching to IT, collision is only necessary for vehicles you finance or if it is still worth a decent amount. Depends on your driving abilities too, if you suck at driving than collision might be helpful.

If you are somewhat confident in your driving, I'd just carry liability.

Was that 150 installed? I just had it done and the bill was a little over $400. The glass was a little under 200 and labor was a little over 200. A rock kicked up on the road and hit the windshield while I was doing about 60. Insurance paid for it.

Yes $150 installed. I assume it is because the Cherokee is a pretty simple vehicle/windshield and very common. A windshield for my dad's '13 Grand Cherokee was much more expensive.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Full coverage on everything.

It's $36/6mo difference between collision and comprehensive on my '86 pickup, and I have $0 deductibles.

Why not get cut a check if something happens?

I wonder where you are getting these cheap rates for comprehensive even on these older cars.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I wonder where you are getting these cheap rates for comprehensive even on these older cars.

USAA. Been with them 11 years and never an issue.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Full coverage on everything.

It's $36/6mo difference between collision and comprehensive on my '86 pickup, and I have $0 deductibles.

Why not get cut a check if something happens?

It really depends on where you live. My area is one of the top auto theft regions. The comprehensive premiums reflect that.

I dropped collision and comp on my 04 Camry because those $$ were 75% of invoice. The Camry runs like new but it's fourteen years old and probably not worth $3,000, although the vehicle probably has 150,000 miles left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back