Fuel Pump for my 2001 F-350

The bed is currently off and it's getting a flatbed. Debating on throwing a fuel pump at it. The truck is 25 years old, it's been sitting for a year. Runs good now but ... that's one of those things that isn't going to be easy to replace sitting on the side of the road. Especially with how rusty this truck is. The bed would have to come off.

As far as I always knew, the truck had a 35 gallon midship tank. But I'm only finding 29 so maybe it has a 29 gallon tank?

I have ... trust. .. issues after I paid $150 for the Carter pump for my Cherokee and then pulled off the Carter stickers to find it was the $30 Airtex pump.

There is the Motorcraft pump / sending unit assembly. I would assume that's the best one to get ... but was also debating on tinkering around with changing the pump in the sending unit itself. I want the most reliable and easiest to change. Changing it in the sending unit doesn't seem like that much more work

Thoughts or suggestions ?

Last edited:
deatsch werks pumps are some of the best available and you can just replace your pump instead of the entire assembly. Walbro is a dependable alternate for a little less money.

Cut a foldup access hole in the flatbed above the fuel pump. Change the pump out in minutes whenever it dies.
The flatbed is going to have a wooden floor. So at most I'd have to remove two boards. We made the bed itself so no crossmembers would be over the fuel pump.

Not a great shot but this is where it's at now
1713964438967.jpg

1713964500030.jpg

You're gonna get a zillion answers but I'd absolutely replace it. I'd use Motorcraft, although it's (obviously) almost surely a different assembly line than what made OEM ~23 years ago.

Changing just the pump is an interesting option, if you can know the a-la-carte pump you're using is a quality piece.

The next guy will say don't fix what ain't broke, so pick your poison. I'm one of the few who considers pumps almost preventative maintenance -- doesn't mean I'm right but we all spend our time and money as we see fit.

You're gonna get a zillion answers but I'd absolutely replace it. I'd use Motorcraft, although it's (obviously) almost surely a different assembly line than what made OEM ~23 years ago.

Changing just the pump is an interesting option, if you can know the a-la-carte pump you're using is a quality piece.

The next guy will say don't fix what ain't broke, so pick your poison. I'm one of the few who considers pumps almost preventative maintenance -- doesn't mean I'm right but we all spend our time and money as we see fit.
There's a Delphi pump on Rockauto that works with the Ford OEM connector apparently. I'd assume it's a good one
1713971018266.jpg

I would replace it. My 2003 F150 fuel pump started going bad last year. I removed the bed, and it was quite easy to replace with it off. I did replace it with a Motorcraft one. I also replaced some of the hoses and the rear shocks while I was at it.

Is this one of the pumps assys that is almost literally size-for-size on the tank hole? It drives me nuts how Ford does that, they could have increased the hole in the tank by an 1/8"!!

Don't know about the Delphi, I'm kind of distrusting of even Delphi these days.

OT: Any trouble from the DMV and Highway patrol with your bed swap? Here that swap makes the truck a comercial vehicle that must go through scales, IFTA etc.
Not OP, but here in TN, no issues. Made one out of a 8 ft sheet metal pallet (red oak) back in the day for a truck that I bought sans-bed. Had 0 issues with THP or DMV out of it.

It was a glorious 4x4 monstrosity that never let me down. Until the gas prices spiked after Katrina. That '85 351w/3 spd auto 4x4 on 33s was a bit...thirsty.

OT: Any trouble from the DMV and Highway patrol with your bed swap? Here that swap makes the truck a comercial vehicle that must go through scales, IFTA etc.

I'll claim ignorance if issues arise .... But there's kinda more to it ...

When I registered this truck back in 2018, I was able to get passenger car plates for it. It's 60 pounds under the limit in NY state for it. Oddly enough, most F150s have to get commercial tags. It really doesn't do much other than cost more to register, restrict you from parkways and restrict you from towing trailers without fenders.

Realistically, there's so many of these trucks running around with flatbeds I wouldn't have any issue. However, as part of the passenger car tags, I am not allowed to haul building materials or mulch/stone/dirt with the truck. Even with the standard bed. If I ever got stopped hauling stuff for myself or a friend I don't think it's be hard to prove I'm not a business.

I'll claim ignorance if issues arise .... But there's kinda more to it ...

When I registered this truck back in 2018, I was able to get passenger car plates for it. It's 60 pounds under the limit in NY state for it. Oddly enough, most F150s have to get commercial tags. It really doesn't do much other than cost more to register, restrict you from parkways and restrict you from towing trailers without fenders.

Realistically, there's so many of these trucks running around with flatbeds I wouldn't have any issue. However, as part of the passenger car tags, I am not allowed to haul building materials or mulch/stone/dirt with the truck. Even with the standard bed. If I ever got stopped hauling stuff for myself or a friend I don't think it's be hard to prove I'm not a business.
Those restrictions are stupid, imo. I understand they're probably attempting to restrict people using cheaper plates on a truck used commercially, but to restrict a common man from being able to use his truck as a truck based on what plates it has is...silly. imo.

Or am I misunderstanding the logic behind this?

Those restrictions are stupid, imo. I understand they're probably attempting to restrict people using cheaper plates on a truck used commercially, but to restrict a common man from being able to use his truck as a truck based on what plates it has is...silly. imo.

Or am I misunderstanding the logic behind this?

Yeah, that is kinda silly.

Here in CA you can get personal plates for your pickup truck if it's only for personal use, but you have to have a camper shell on it. To get personal plates you have to make an appointment and someone checks that you have the camper shell on there. But you can haul whatever you want in the bed as long as the camper shell is on there, as long as it's not for business purposes.

But, any type of utility bed or flatbed pickup does technically have to go through scales, even if it's not used for a business. I guess the assumption is that these vehicles are not going to be owned by individuals. Kinda flawed IMO but it is what it is.

But, any type of utility bed or flatbed pickup does technically have to go through scales, even if it's not used for a business. I guess the assumption is that these vehicles are not going to be owned by individuals. Kinda flawed IMO but it is what it is.
Reason I asked is because about 30 years ago I was driving a C30 with a flat bed and I got chased down by CHP and made to turn around and go through the scales. Then the owner got ticketed for not having IFTA and what not.

Is this one of the pumps assys that is almost literally size-for-size on the tank hole? It drives me nuts how Ford does that, they could have increased the hole in the tank by an 1/8"!!

Don't know about the Delphi, I'm kind of distrusting of even Delphi these days.
I don't trust Delphi that much. We put one in our 97 GMC farm truck and it only lasted about 11,000 miles and about a year and a half.

I just put a Delphi pump in the 92 Cavalier only because it was the only one that I could find at the time that came with the entire module. Years ago I had just replaced the pump itself and used the original module but back then I could still get an AC-Delco pump. Not anymore.

Back