Two new fuel pumps, both dead after 1K miles

Put two new Delphi fuel pumps (saddle tank system) in wife's 2007 Chrysler Pacifica in July. Driven car about 1,000 miles since. Car died in late October. Sent back to install shop this week. They dropped tank and say both pumps are shot. Grinding, groaning spitting, but certainly not pumping.

Thought for sure they were going to tell me one had failed. But what would've killed both? They're suggesting one failed and the lack of fuel to the other killed it, too.

Is there another issue that could've caused this? Certainly don't want to put in new pumps, not address the root issue, and have the same thing happen again....

I've had a similar problem with my Camaro. Original pump died (I ran the tank too low), replaced it with a Delphi. That one died after almost no use (fuel level ok). I don't think I'll be using Delphi again.

I put a Delphi in an '05 Yukon and the fuel gauge never read correctly after. It was the correct part # for a half ton Yukon (not Yukon XL, not 2500). Really pissed me off.

We sold the vehicle shortly thereafter so I can't speak to longevity.

Repeated pump failures may be due to dirt in the gas tank. Delphi does have a chemical tank cleaner. Did they actually clean the tank or just drop it to install the new pump? A new fuel filter should also be part of every pump replacement.

Last edited:
Haven't seen 'em yet post-autopsy. I'll head to the shop this afternoon and settle up on today's work while I work on warranty process. I'll get pumps then.
So the shop did the work? I can tell you I did a pump in my buddies Blazer after one the shop put in failed. Now I don't know if your pump has a sock, but everyone I have done does. His new pump got killed because the sock fell of the bottom and sucked some foreign material into it. I doubt that happened twice in a row to you, just something to think about.

I've had a similar problem with my Camaro. Original pump died (I ran the tank too low), replaced it with a Delphi. That one died after almost no use (fuel level ok). I don't think I'll be using Delphi again.
Fuel pumps don't fail from running low. They fail from running out of gas. The fuel pump is cooled by fuel running through it not sitting in a tank of fuel.

Having said that the fuel pump in my 93 Suburban would fail if you ran out of fuel just once. My 94 Camry probably could handle running out of fuel every day and never an issue.

I put two Delphi pumps in this summer (different vehicles) with no issues so far. A Rav-4 and a Grand Cherokee.
On your Pacifica, one pump feeds the other side of the tank where the main pump is. So possibly yes, if the pump on the transfer side failed it could run the main pump dry.
Mopar pumps are stupid expensive and are usually made by Carter.
A tip on your Pacifica: If you run into strange electrical problems (such as wipers coming on with turn signals, various lighting issues) go right to the left frame rail behind the headlamp. That area has a “gang” of grounds for various items (including the TCM). I’ve had several where the wires corroded and caused back feeding and intermittent failures. Very, very common on those.
FYI, if yours is the 4.0 engine the FP grounds inside the car at the base of the passenger side B pillar. The gauge grounds on the driver side B pillar.
I would do a voltage drop test across the ground for the pump motor.

Not familiar with how the Chrysler fuel pump system operates or wired; I do know that some Toyotas (unknown specific model or model year span) use a fuel pump control module that varies pressure depending on load. One of the tell-tale symptoms of this module going bad is very short fuel pump life.

Subaru at least used to have a cool saddle tank system. The single pump sat on one side and it fed the fuel rail. The return line went to the other and fed a jet pump (“Bernoulli pump”) which continuously pumped from the secondary side to the primary side.

assuming that the Pacifica favors one side over the other, the secondary side should be capable of handling some air in the pickup when the light is on and your basically looking at the “reserve.”

I put two Delphi pumps in this summer (different vehicles) with no issues so far. A Rav-4 and a Grand Cherokee.
On your Pacifica, one pump feeds the other side of the tank where the main pump is. So possibly yes, if the pump on the transfer side failed it could run the main pump dry.
Mopar pumps are stupid expensive and are usually made by Carter.
A tip on your Pacifica: If you run into strange electrical problems (such as wipers coming on with turn signals, various lighting issues) go right to the left frame rail behind the headlamp. That area has a “gang” of grounds for various items (including the TCM). I’ve had several where the wires corroded and caused back feeding and intermittent failures. Very, very common on those.
FYI, if yours is the 4.0 engine the FP grounds inside the car at the base of the passenger side B pillar. The gauge grounds on the driver side B pillar.
I would do a voltage drop test across the ground for the pump motor.
I'm simultaneously impressed and disturbed that you know so much about a Pacifica ;)

I believe your mechanic is mistaken.

There's only one fuel pump in your Pacifica. The secondary unit is just a fuel sender. It's even listed as such on the RA website:

1701841736711.jpg

1701841825906.jpg
1701841765864.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
About two years ago we put a Delphi pump in our 97 GMC farm truck. Pump lasted about 1 year and 11,000 miles before going out. Pump had a lifetime warranty so that is what went back in it. Hopefully the new one lasts a lot longer.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Fuel pumps don't fail from running low. They fail from running out of gas. The fuel pump is cooled by fuel running through it not sitting in a tank of fuel.

Having said that the fuel pump in my 93 Suburban would fail if you ran out of fuel just once. My 94 Camry probably could handle running out of fuel every day and never an issue.
IIRC toyota has a system which disables power to the fuel pump once the engine stops running. So in the event that the engine has no fuel supply the pump wont run. They had this system since 1984.

Back