Fuel filter mount on this 2016 f350- another reason to be a self maintainer

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Second owner of this 2016 f350. First owner appears to have used shops to do the maintenance. I have only test drove this truck since I purchased it.

This morning while filling the tires with 60lbs psi (no load- not towing), something caught my eye. The fuel filter just hanging there, and the clamp for the fuel filter.

Can't believe a shop let the previous truck owner drive away with a repair like this. Wow. Even the fuel line is dangling with excess length forward of the filter.

Observations consider to point that a caring mechanic is the exception, not the norm.

PXL_20230707_145845289.jpg
PXL_20230707_145856202.jpg

That definitely should have ben clamped or metal zip tied. The last thing it needs is to catch or hook debris and rip the fuel line.

I don't think that hose and worm clamp is appropriate to connect to that fuel filter. The hose says not for fuel injection. There should be snap on connectors to that filter.There should be a large worm screw band clamp securing the filter to the frame. A rig job.

Did a 2016 F350 6.2 come with an external fuel filter, or was that added later?

Assuming no, it might be worthwhile to pick up the correct hose from the dealer and fix it back correctly.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the printing on the hose.
I was just getting ready to crop that photo and note that the fuel line in use specifically states "NOT FOR FUEL". That's classic!! Let's git 'er done. Maximize profits and minimize quality.

Yeah no external filter on the 6.2, so that's just weird. I wonder if they broke the fingernail clips during a fuel pump R&R and then cobbled on some rubber hose?

I was just getting ready to crop that photo and note that the fuel line in use specifically states "NOT FOR FUEL". That's classic!! Let's git 'er done. Maximize profits and minimize quality.
not quite, its a lower pressure rated fuel hose..
"not for fuel injection"

I think between flat rate, lack of technicians, and the good technicians being burned out, there is a lot of "if it won't come back next week it's good" going on with repairs. I'm doing work on a zero turn mower today after work that was previously at a dealership. Noticed last night during initial inspection that one spark plug (new) is loose, and the new in-line fuel filter is on backwards. This points to laziness not incompetence.

I would at least get up under there and see if you can tell what attaches to the fuel pump, ie factory line or rubber hose with worm clamps

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
How do you know a shop did that rig job? Far more likely that was rigged by an owner or DIYer as most professionals know the difference between fuel line hose and fuel injection hose as well as the fact that that fuel filter isnt made for hose its made for quick connect fittings

How do you know a shop did that rig job? Far more likely that was rigged by an owner or DIYer as most professionals know the difference between fuel line hose and fuel injection hose as well as the fact that that fuel filter isnt made for hose its made for quick connect fittings
I don't know. But a "profile" of the owner, looking at the Carfax maintenance records, all point that this one owner Super Duty was maintained by people other than the owner.

I posted about a S500 I purchased with 40k miles for $350 at auction a few years ago. The car was at a MB dealer weeks before going to auction for a $2400 front brake job. When I was rebuilding the car I found a minor fender bender in the front right of the car. The shop that did the repair completely rigged the repair- and was likely paid 10k for the repair. Can I prove the shop did the rig job and not the owner I profiled as a 65+ year old widow. No, but I would put money on it she was ripped off and did not do the body work herself. If one can afford a $2400 front brake job at the MB dealership, one is not doing self repair of a fender bender.

Back