Friction modifier I am the poor sap....

Status
Not open for further replies.
who gets to be smart with the stupid others. Our mentality is old school and most of all we are poor . Our oil supplier said maybe we could "mix" our own adding modifier to regular oil... We have every thing from small equipment[hydrostatic driven] to 325 Cat many pieces of equipment. Most have a shared sump for drivetrain and implements. All are asking for some type of hydraulic which has friction modifier. Until now it has not been an issue, however leaks are everywhere we have some operators who keep it full. Some who dont care. At 15.00 per gallon compared to 3.00 per gallon for non modified oil the owner is wondering why I am buying the hi-dollar stuff to "dump 20 gallons a week on the ground". javascript:void(0)javascript:void(0)
tombstone.gif

crushedcar.gif

what oil??
what friction modifer??

how much is used and for what??
Why is it needed??

what do you need to know be clear.
bruce

The friction characteristics required by CAT, Komatsu, etc. are quite different from farm tractors. The real savings would come from buying the more expensive oil. I have seen people use motor oil and cheap oils who only get 500 to 3000 hours on CAT equipment. The CAT dealer says the average for our whole country is 6000 to 8000 hours between rebuilds. I have many customers who buy a top grade product, proven on test to allow 60% less wear than CAT allows, who get 21,000 to 24,000 hours between transmission rebuilds. Which is cheaper, oil or a transmission?

Now the CAT 325 excavator doesn't require any friction modification. It needs a 10W with a good diesel formulation. Lots of detergent, anti-wear, and tested for seal compatibility.
Many seals and hoses are destroyed in the cooler weather or startup from oil too thick.
If you can handle the Spanish, start here.
http://www.widman.biz/Seleccion/Hidraulico/hidraulico.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back