FRAM vs AMSOIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bchannell

BUT, is there any data to show that the delta particulate can be traced to actual early engine failure? In other words, does filtration to this level really mean a longer lasting engine, or are we just looking at better filtration that is negligible in real world driving?

There is no data saying that the particle difference would make any difference in real world longevity.

You are likely correct, Bchannell.
With most engines going 200 to 300 thousand miles with conventional oil and el-cheap-o filters, the top of the line filters may be overkill.
Of course, many here are anal about filters and oil; that's why we are here in the first place.

I'm anal/OCD too, and yes that's part of the reason I'm here. I was just thinking that no matter how OCD I might be, if I can't make a real world connection through the data, it doesn't really mean a thing. We see this all the time in the lab, something works to perfection in the testing, but in the scale-up we lose everything.
I still don't deny there's that nagging feeling that super filtration is cool, and I like the idea, but don't ever get the feeling that it's 'better'. I've learned that 'better' is a relative term. Defining a need, and meeting that need is what makes the world go round. The question then becomes, if you never drive more than 100 miles, and your gas tank holds enough gas to go 200 miles, is there a benefit to have a gas tank that holds enough gas to go 500 miles?

Quote:
Test 2 EaO laser micron count oil sample stands at:
>2 - 52249/100ml
>5 - 9843
>15 - 517
>25 - 107
>50 - .7
>100 -.1

Quote:
5-15 micron - 15-25 micron - 25-50 micron -

Why did they change the units??
mad.gif

From what is here, the Eao did a worse job at 2 of the debris of the Fram at above that. That's if the tests are comparable (different resolutions?) and I'm not getting the units messed up.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Quote:
Test 2 EaO laser micron count oil sample stands at:
>2 - 52249/100ml
>5 - 9843
>15 - 517
>25 - 107
>50 - .7
>100 -.1

Quote:
5-15 micron - 15-25 micron - 25-50 micron -

mad.gif

From what is here, the Eao did a worse job at 2 of the debris of the Fram at above that. That's if the tests are comparable (different resolutions?) and I'm not getting the units messed up.

Yes... the camparison appeared FUBAR to me at first but if you look at the NAS 1638 Contamination Class Chart it is easier to compare the results.

The new oil sample.... = NAS class 6.
The Fram used sample = NAS class 8.
The EaO used sample.. = NAS class 6.

Nothing wrong with the used oil having the same NAS Class 6 rating as new oil in my opinion!

I will be doing a similar test with my 93 Civic using a 1000 mile particle count oil sample and oil with a lighter dye so that we can get a good LASER particle count for BOTH tests.

Quote:

They also double as a behavioral study lab. They put frustrations in place and observe the reactions.
grin2.gif

Good job.

The XG7317 which is the FRAM extended guard will be my next filter. It will go on a 3.0 liter Accord V6 this weekend which currently is getting roughly 24 to 26 mpg using Super Tech ST7317 filter.

I will never go out of my way to get an Amsoil filter so the only requirement as far as the test goes is that the FRAM is being compared to an Amsoil which means the FRAM wins right there plus it's cheaper and my OCIs are only 5k.. as far as this test, I want to thank the guy who did it however I could not get anything out of the test results..noone has summarized or interpreted the results..is this supposed to happen at some point? Thanks to this thread and this site for having this information and thanks to the guy who provided me with the link to this thread based off a new thread I spun off (no pun intended) about the XG7317..

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1110615#Post1110615

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
.. as far as this test, I want to thank the guy who did it but I could not get anything out of the test results..noone has summarized or interpreted the results..is this supposed to happen at some point?

Just read the results above. Amsoil kept the oil as new. Fram didn't.

Don't think these filters are in the same league. Split the cost difference and get an M1 filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back